Westbrook/Asda traffic lights

disgusted

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw the sand and still there are pedestrians running across when their little man is on red. Another car had to slam on to avoid hitting a guy pusing a pram across!! He glared at the driver like it was his fault.... what is the point of lights if no bugger uses them or presses the button then legs it anyway. That leaves the green man to come on when there is no one left to cross which winds up the road users even more!

I've never really understood why they don?t have a cancel facility on pedestrian crossing to stop this sort of thing. I don?t wait when there?s not a car in sight but there should be a cancel button on the other side so the lights don't needlessly stop the traffic afterwards.

So simple why hasn?t it been done? Couldn?t be that it?s because it would help the motorist could it?? :)

[ 14.10.2007, 19:51: Message edited by: Bill ]

look at this lovely picture of tranquility a snapshop of life at westbrook before the lights, google maps is like a time machine.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=53.407389,-2.628425&spn=0.001031,0.002494&t=k&z=19&om=1

Please note the free flowing traffic, the lack of pedestrians.

and despite the glaring evidence, the public outcry some jerks still cannot adimit to being in the wrong.

now you can tell by the short shadows, the busy asda carpark, this was a busy period for this junction

FACT: THERE WAS BUGGER ALL WRONG WITH THIS JUNCTION

[ 14.10.2007, 22:30: Message edited by: legion ]

Originally posted by Bill:

I've never really understood why they don?t have a cancel facility on pedestrian crossing to stop this sort of thing. I don?t wait when there?s not a car in sight but there should be a cancel button on the other side so the lights don't needlessly stop the traffic afterwards.

So simple why hasn?t it been done? Couldn?t be that it?s because it would help the motorist could it?? :)

Actually what I've noticed at pedestrian controlled lights is that they don't change in favour of the pedestrian until there's no traffic coming. i.e. pedestrians could have got across the road without the lights, except that the lights then stop any more cars that come along after the pedestrians have already crossed thus causing frustration and bad temper on the part of the drivers who find themselves stopped at a red light for no reason. There aren't half some geniuses working in planning departments. Its just a shame they don't walk to work instead of driving :(:(:(

• 1 month later...

has anything happened to these lights?

last time I went through they were still creating traffic jams and congestion.. Bring back a roundabout..

Incidentally I noticed aplastic bobby cowering by a sign outside asda going towards Marks he wad a speed camera pointed at the rear of cars another sneaky jobsworthy at work trying to find frustrated motorists on an empty road having been delayed by pathetic traffic management mess..however watch out as plastic bobby probably will be trere again if he found lucrative spot. hope it rains on him next time

• 2 months later...
Originally posted by wahl:

has anything happened to these lights?

last time I went through they were still creating traffic jams and congestion.. Bring back a roundabout..

Apparently not going to happen, and still just a disaster of an "improvement".

The latest in the councillor's newletter is that they are going to build a left turn lane northbound for Asda. It's something, but I just don;t understand why they can't puit the roundabout back with pedestrian lights on each approach?

• 3 weeks later...

Handbags at six paces in the council chamber with today's lead story.

Instead of saying who is to blame - can we just point out there is TOTAL TRAFFIC CHAOS at the Cromwell Avenue traffic lights near Asda and something needs to be done about it URGENTLY!

Anyone who doubts there is a problem just start reading this thread - one of the longest issues of all time on the forum! :roll:

Originally posted by WW:

But Coun Axcell said he would provide Coun O?Neill answers to his questions in writing. But he disputed the traffic lights had caused ?chaos.?

How on earth can Councillor Axcell dispute that this has caused chaos?

If there was ever a queue, it may have been four or five cars long, and always on the Asda arm itself from exiting shoppers, the main thoroughfare never had tailbacks - ever!

This Sunday was business as usual, with traffic tailing back to Twenty Acre Road, that's two full roundabouts back through Cromwell Road.

Coulcillor Axcell is clearly absolutely clueless!

Starnge how the lights in calver road have been completed but havent been operated now for 3 months. Scared methinks?

As for Westbrook, queue was two roundabouts on Sunday afternoon - not exactly peak is it.

Roll on a sunny summer and see what its like at 4pm on a Saturday (or school holiday) when Gullivers kicks out.

Can I hope they fix it before the summer hols. Easter in 2 weeks will give us some idea of how bad it will be.

P.s. The Chapelford road (joining both parts up) is due to officially open soon (route 17 bus to go round there) but if you go the south end its unofficially complete and open i.e. 20 acre road to Whittle Avenue.

Nice shortcut if you want it and if you can miss the raised manholes / bumps.

[ 04.03.2008, 16:52: Message edited by: Adrian ]

Seems to me that the problem doesn't lie with the elected Members, rather it is the "professional" highways officers who advised them that installation of the lights would be beneficial. Why aren't the highways officers being called to account on this? Maybe it is time for an external body to be called in to audit the skills and value of the highways section. Might it be time to copy Salford Council and outsource some key functions?

Originally posted by McBain:

Seems to me that the problem doesn't lie with the elected Members, rather it is the "professional" highways officers who advised them that installation of the lights would be beneficial. Why aren't the highways officers being called to account on this? Maybe it is time for an external body to be called in to audit the skills and value of the highways section. Might it be time to copy Salford Council and outsource some key functions?

Because Warrington Council is bloody incompetant and will not accept and alter its mistakes.

The councillors are scared to come on here and defend their councils actions dispite being asked to do so.

Next time they come canvassing (mind you canvassing these days involves shoving a bit of paper through the door and legging it instead of approaching the people inside) tell them to get their overpaid asses off your property or you will call the police.

Paul, you may know the answer to this one, why don't canvassers knock on doors and actually speak to people anymore? I always have a mound of tat on my doorstep (the latest being the tory newsletter or whatever nonsense.... ) which fills up the recycling bin They won't speak to us anymore!!

I always remember my dear old dad out on the front at our house in Bewsey; washing his shiny MKI Granada when into the avenue came Roy Jenkins canvassing for the Lib Dems. A flunky came over to my dad and in the usual way asked if they could count on dads vote. Dad asked if the Lib Dems would consider bringing back capital punishment to curb the rising murder rate.... the flunky nearly chocked and ran off. Jenkins never did come over to speak to my dad!!

The Lib Dems were blind to the rising violence even then!!

Originally posted by McBain:

You are right McBain, and the person responsible has long since resigned.

However the issue now is that they can;t sort it out, and worse, some councillors are now even claiming there is no problem at all with the redesign of the junction. Simpl put, that's unforgiveable.

Originally posted by BazJ:

Paul, you may know the answer to this one, why don't canvassers knock on doors and actually speak to people anymore? I always have a mound of tat on my doorstep (the latest being the tory newsletter or whatever nonsense.... ) which fills up the recycling bin They won't speak to us anymore!!

Scared of hearing what they don't want to hear.

Personally I'm not and was out canvassing again on Sunday afternoon, and now the evenings are getting lighter will be out some evenings. Most people are surprised....and pleased to be canvassed given normally I'm the first person to ever knock on their door.....and almost everyone is polite....even if they aren't going to vote for me....mind you I am a nice bloke. :D

PS There are 46,000 homes in Warrington South so it does take a while to get to everyone.