algy

No idea sorry Algy....

The Runcorn Registration District, 1891 Census Street Index P-R

shows...

Public House

Shovel and Broom Public House, Appleton

Reference RG 12/2829

Folio 19

No other other info on there though as apparently the census images are other info are stored on Ancestry.com....you are supposed to type the given Ref and Folio into Ancestry to view but I can't find the search box :oops::lol::oops:

Thank' Dizz I can always depend on you for research, I have since found a bit more information it was near the site of a house with the smithy opposite the entrance that led from the High R.d over Dog's field. I just have this feeling it might have been near the Cobbs. :?:

Just had a gander on all the old tithe maps etc.

There was a field called Dog House Field

(Owners Rowland Eyles Egerton Warburton Richard Nunnerley) Plot number 196

Just near to the London Bridge Inn (which is shown on the 1875 map) and roughtly covering where Waterbridge and Waverley Ave is today (down to its junction with Greenfields Ave)where Dove house field and Dog house field Wheat Barley Potatoes Turnips & Pasture.

Any idea when the Londong Bridge pub was built as maybe the other one stood where that one is :?:

However... there was also another field listed as

Part of Dog Kennel Field

(Owners Thomas Langford Brooke Joseph Acton )

Plot 141

This was roughly at the junction of todays Hill Cliffe Road and Whitefield Road.

Both of course came under the Parish of Great Budworth and the township of Appleton in those days

Ooooh I didn't look that far up on the maps as I was looking around the Cobbs :oops::lol:

I shall stop looking through all the old directories too now :lol::lol::oops:

Why did you want to know anyway :D

PS nice of everyone else to help you eh.... :lol:

I never new Bill was a 'newphew' though ... is that a 'modern day smell' :wink:

Yes Dizz thanks to all of you that have been searching, the reason I wished to know where it was situated, you will probably think I'm bonkers, is because it existed or I had been informed that it had and once the seed of information has been sown I just have to know, I suppose where local history is concerned I hunger for knowledge, researching my family history resulted in a sting in the tail when I discovered that my ancestors came from the north liverpool area :oops: and to make it worse I found the same on my wifes side both our son & daughter were mortified. :wink:

:lol::lol:

Back to your pub though....

Where did you find the info that it was "near the house with the smithy opposite the entrance that led from the High R.d over Dog's field"

Was there another 'Dogs Field' as Owen's Corner is a long way away from then one I found :?

By the way... Why's it now called Owen's Corner... see what you have done now it's bugging me :oops::lol:

Yes Dizz thanks to all of you that have been searching, the reason I wished to know where it was situated, you will probably think I'm bonkers, is because it existed or I had been informed that it had and once the seed of information has been sown I just have to know, I suppose where local history is concerned I hunger for knowledge, researching my family history resulted in a sting in the tail when I discovered that my ancestors came from the north liverpool area :oops: and to make it worse I found the same on my wifes side both our son & daughter were mortified. :wink:

Bet your historical or histerical rellies will think you are dead posh living in Grappenhall or is that Latchford Without? :wink:

Bet your historical or histerical rellies will think you are dead posh living in Grappenhall or is that Latchford Without? :wink:

Pete, lets get one thing straight, I was born in the Old Warps June 1940, Victoria Park, Latchford , LANCASHIRE, and brought up at 21 Oldham street, educated at St. James's C of E school upto the age of 10 and bloody proud of it, we moved into Grappenhall in 1962 and still do, we have both worked hard to stay in this area and again proud to have done so, Oh! and my relatives on my fathers paternal side owned Chadwicks Paper Mill so there was some success in the family although none of the wealth came my way.

You really should not wind me up when I have been out for a pint :wink:

Hahahahahahaha.

Well Mr Touchy. I moved from Grappenhall (Latchford Without) to the estate you have mentioned. So there.

And I think (could be wrong) that when I used to frequent Appleton Thorn In the late 50s/early 60's some of the Chadwick clan(or the sons of the owners at that time) also used to go there in the good old days when John Sutton was the landlord.

Happy days Peter, bring on the memories, I think thats why I have such an interest for the past I really find it so difficult to cope with to-days society :wink:
given that I am the same age as you, no doubt we will have some memories unlike the youngsters on here who think they have invented the world. :wink:

within.

Latchford town side of the bridge and Latchford South side are known differently.

You may know this - before the building of the ship canal Latchford was part of grappenhall and prior to the building of St. james's church St Wilfrids church, Grappenhall was the parish church for Latchford and what is now Victoria park was part of Thelwall.

Walton was split into two, Walton Inferior & Walton Superior.

within.

Latchford town side of the bridge and Latchford South side are known differently.

You may know this - before the building of the ship canal Latchford was part of grappenhall and prior to the building of St. james's church St Wilfrids church, Grappenhall was the parish church for Latchford and what is now Victoria park was part of Thelwall.

Walton was split into two, Walton Inferior & Walton Superior.

Walton still is and there are some right toffee noses. :wink: