OAP Shunts vehicle blocking his garage!

Sue Durnim

OAP Shunts vehicle blocking his garage

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1330189/Pensioner-caught-CCTV-using-car-shunt-vehicle-blocking-garage.html

Although Ronald Pemberton, 83, has done this more than once, I totally agree with his actions, car users should have enough common decency/sense not to obstruct garage or driveway entrances, sign or no sign.

The people who do this have no consideration for other people?s property or access rights. You can?t blame him for being frustrated and helpless and being forced to take drastic action in the way he did. He could have been going on holiday, hospital appointment or many other reasons. Calling the police wouldn?t of helped, I am sure they have other more important issues to deal with.

I would have thought other people would have considered either wheel clamping them, or pour sticky substances all over it, I am sure they would get the message in the end!

Then to add insult to injury he gets a fine of approximately ?2000.

I have no doubt some one on this forum will point out that is not legal to park your car anywhere you like as long as it is tax, has an MOT and insured.

Makes me mad!

Point 217: DO NOT PARK in front of an entrance to a property

Point 216: You MUST NOT park in parking spaces reserved for specific users, such as Orange Badge holders or residents, unless entitled to do so. Law RTRA sects 5 & 8.

Point 217: DO NOT park your vehicle or trailer on the road where it would endanger, inconvenience or obstruct pedestrians or other road users.

Point 218: DO NOT park partially or wholly on the pavement unless signs permit it. Parking on the pavement can obstruct and seriously inconvenience pedestrians, people in wheelchairs, the visually impaired and people with prams or pushchairs.

Highway Code

Fraid it's a "me,me" world now, with some folk having no more sense than a mushroom: they'll park as close to their destination as they can, regardless - we couldn't have them walking more than 5M could we. Bloke turned into a one-way street the other day, then turns around to park 5M from the shop. He then gave me a strange look, cos I'd signaled to him it was a one-way street. :roll:

Well having just read the news article and seen the photos of where the inconsiderate ka driver had parked (and the photo's showing the elderly gent 'moving' it :lol::oops: ) all I can say is GOOD ON HIM !!!

Surely there was no need to ban him though :?

Agree with you too, Dizzy, OK he broke the law as laid down by those in funny wigs, but what about common sense law. This man should get a medal!

Second thoughts...... I just watched the video :shock:

He nearly squashes a kid and man/woman in blue against his garage door... oops

Indeed. Sorry that I seem to be the odd one out here, but this guy is totally out of order, and it's a pretty typical - OAP too rude to talk to anyone, I'll just bully them - attitude.

Is the Ka & Mazda driver in the wrong? Of course. But they parked off the road, and no doubt thought for five minutes it would be fine, as the prosecutor says, why not speak to them when they come back, if they do it again, then take further action.

But this bashing cars out of the way onto a zig zag marking (I presume that's not as important as your pet hate - box junctions - is it Obs?) is ridiculous. And what does he do next, nearly bang the car into a kid.

The guy clearly shouldn't be on the road.

This is a tricky one because while sympathising with the man, pushing a car out onto what looks like a main road isn?t the best of ideas and could have caused a serious accident. That said I don?t think it?s right to impose such a large fine coupled with a driving ban while the person that caused the problem in the first place seems to have got away unpunished.

We can all sit here now and think up better ways to deal with it but in the heat of the moment he probably only did what most other people would in the same circumstances.

Bill :)

Fats: not having viewed the vid, my remarks were confined to the general principle of Richard Heads parking anywhere it suits them. As for "waiting" for the Richard to return to his/her vehicle; this could be repeated every day of the year by other Richards doing exactly the same thing - so, for the housholder who can't get into/out of his home, it's never ending. And NO, a box junction is the last place to push a vehicle, as that then impedes everyone else, as the Richard Heads who keep driving onto them should know! :wink: .

Indeed. Sorry that I seem to be the odd one out here, but this guy is totally out of order, and it's a pretty typical - OAP too rude to talk to anyone, I'll just bully them - attitude.

Hey Pal! go easy on the OAP's were not all the same and another thing we are NOT OAP's we are SENIOR CITIZENS and if your not careful I'll bring all the members of the Grappenhall branch of the 'Grumpy Old Men's Club' round and sort you CHAV's out, we have back up to call on if required, :wink:

Fats: not having viewed the vid, my remarks were confined to the general principle of Richard Heads parking anywhere it suits them. As for "waiting" for the Richard to return to his/her vehicle; this could be repeated every day of the year by other Richards doing exactly the same thing - so, for the housholder who can't get into/out of his home, it's never ending. .
That's a fair enough point. He may have been driven to distraction with it over some time. Still doesn't exonerate him, but would mitigate somewhat.

I once had the bizarre situation where I found someone actually parked inside my locked garage so I physically bumped the car out into the middle of the car park. It happened again the next day with the same outcome but on the third day there was a note on the car asking that it not be moved as the council had given him the keys to my garage.

Would have been nice for the council to tell me before giving my garage away and maybe explains why to this day I?m no great fan of our council. :lol:

I once had the bizarre situation where I found someone actually parked inside my locked garage so I physically bumped the car out into the middle of the car park. It happened again the next day with the same outcome but on the third day there was a note on the car asking that it not be moved as the council had given him the keys to my garage.

Would have been nice for the council to tell me before giving my garage away and maybe explains why to this day I?m no great fan of our council. :lol:

You couldn't make it up, I am not surprised about anything anymore!

If car users or the same person kept on blocking access to your property and stopped you from doing your daily business or getting to a certain place on time, what would posters on this forum suggest, would it be a nice and polite chat or note on the windscreen or something more devious if that did not work? :twisted:
As I said above Sue, it's fair enough if it was ongoing, however there is no indication in the story that this was the case. Surely if it was, Victor Meldrew would have used that as a defence?

As anyone living near shops and buisinesses knows; this can be a regular event - driveways, rear passageways, even streets blocked by fly parkers. Technically, it is an obstruction of the highway, and good luck if you can get the Police or Council to take it seriously. However, if the Richard Heads return to a trashed car, it even registers with them that it is an unsafe parking area! :wink: