Genuine or scam?

Peter T

I received a phone call about 4.30pm allegedly from Microsoft. (via India)

It was supposedly in response to error reports sent when internet crashed.

This guy said, that it was a virus in Microsoft's system and that they would program my PC with 3 programs that would sort out the problem.

1. Advanced System protector

2. Advanced e-mail backup

3. Advanced System option.

These would be free apart from licence fee of ?15 each. plus free online support for 6 months.

What I wasn't happy with, was that the guy wanted 'some' details from my bank card to prove who I was.

We agreed to do it Friday night, but on refusing to give my details, they said that I could go to Microsoft site and they would tell me where to go and give me the password. providing I paid up front.

Told them Friday and left it at that. Tried to phone Microsoft but couildn't get through.

Anyone heard of this?

I recon it's a complete scam for the following reasons... although Microsoft Support is actually manned by Indian People :wink:

I received a phone call about 4.30pm allegedly from Microsoft. (via India)

It was supposedly in response to error reports sent when internet crashed.

Microsoft Error Reports (well when they used to pop up on my PC when things like MS Word.. internet explorer etc occasionally crashed)

ALWAYS SAID THAT NO PERSONAL DETAILS ABOUT YOU OR FROM YOU PC WOULD BE FORWARDED TO MICROSOFT IF YOU CLICKED TO REPORTED THE PROBLEM.

They simply used the reporting tool as a way of collating the number of problems to do with a specific software or apllication malfunction. Must admit I have never bothered clicking to report any though.

How would they have got your phone number anyway :wink:

This guy said, that it was a virus in Microsoft's system and that they would program my PC with 3 programs that would sort out the problem.

1. Advanced System protector

2. Advanced e-mail backup

3. Advanced System option.

These would be free apart from licence fee of ?15 each. plus free online support for 6 months.

Microsoft fix such software and systems problems for free via their regular updates facility :wink: They DON'T charge !

What I wasn't happy with, was that the guy wanted 'some' details from my bank card to prove who I was.

Definately a SCAM then !!! As they contacted you by phone and seem to know a lot about what's allegidely wrong with your pc why should YOU prove who YOU are :wink:

We agreed to do it Friday night, but on refusing to give my details, they said that I could go to Microsoft site and they would tell me where to go and give me the password. providing I paid up front.

Pay upfront ?? REALLY DEFINATELY A SCAM NOW !!!

Told them Friday and left it at that. Tried to phone Microsoft but couildn't get through.

Never had any problems getting through to Microsoft myself. Are you using their freephone number... maybe there are a lot of people like you trying to speak to them today :shock::wink:

I asked that question as well. They said from my original registration.

My gut feel says that it's a scam, but the old grey matter says well maybe, just maybe.

At ?90 (2 tower PC's with the same problem) a bit expensive if it's a scam.

Another point is that this i/net crash doesn't happen all the time. Only when I give it too many things to do at once.

So logically, if it happened everytime I was on the net, it might be a bit more plausible.

As you say Dizzy, it should be covered by Microsoft downloads which I get automatically.

Apart from having my phone number, HOW do they know what I report?

Just did a quick search for you Peter... March 2010 Police Warning over Microsoft Phone Call Scam. (wales I think)

http://www.countytimes.co.uk/news/85702/police-issue-warning-over-microsoft-telephone-scam.aspx

Did you do 1471 and get their number as maybe you should report it :shock:

Interesting report.

I didn't do a 1471 as I tried to get through to Microsoft. I will try again tomorrow.

Apart from having my phone number, HOW do they know what I report?

Your phone number is easy to get Peter... and lets face it nearly ALL people have internet access these days and will have some problems with it (or their pc)at one time or another. Not a hard scam to make people believe I guess.

However if it was me I'd still ring microsoft of not only to confirm with them but also to make them aware of it if the last scam has now resurfaced again... but make sure it is really them your are ringing :wink::lol:

Oh and if your possible scammers do ring back on Friday just ask them to hold the line for a moment while you get your colleague as he will have to confirm the details from the bank card with them as your computer and card are both registered in the name of the local police authority where you work and you yourself do not have the authority to disclose the info :lol::wink: ... Then pretend to be your supervisor and ask them all sorts of security questions... just think how much fun you could have :lol::lol::wink:

No, not noisy at all.

It crashed again tonight but Mozilla were to blame.

Thinking about it, it is Mozilla half the time and Microsoft the rest. Mozilla normally crashes when they are working on new upgrades.

Thanks for the advice people. It is reassuring to read the comments of others on things like this.

What everyone else said.

Re the crashing computer and just a hunch, have you noticed that it's any noisier than usual?

What does it mean if it's noiser ? Mine was making an odd noise the other day like it was doing something 'different' and a little red light kept fading on and off slowly. Never noticed it doing that before. It's ok again now though

(Sorry to hijac your thread a bit Petee)

Peter

Just a little info about reporting crashes to Microsoft.

As you know, my company is involved in writing software and it's quite typical for us to crash applications literally dozens of times day and each time we just automatically click the report to Microsoft button. In all the years of doing this, we have never ever been contacted by Microsoft in any way whatsoever so I'm pretty well certain that what happened in your case was quite simply a scam to get you to part with money and details and by all accounts you nearly fell for it.

Bill :)

Just shows how some of us know so little about each other... I always thought you owned/managed a taxi company Bill :lol:

Made me thing.... Are there any Electricians on here... prefereably ones who own their own company or work for ones who DO take on apprentices :shock::D:D:D......

Ok but it's worth a shot and is rather late on a Sunday night :oops::cry::wink:

Just been discussing Peters problem here at the office and was shown a report on it in this months PC Pro magazine. Clearly it?s a scam but of a type that is hard for the authorities to close down because they?re not actually breaking any laws as such.

The company based in India uses a legitimate London number that simply redirects the calls via Skype. BT say they can?t close it down as they are not misusing or profiting directly from the number. The site is certified by McAfee leading people to believe it?s a ?trusted site? but this is only because it passes all the standard electronic security checks.

Sadly this will probably go on for years because the authorities here seem only concerned that no law as actually been broken and the fact that millions of pounds is being taken from the UK public by deception is simply down to the publics gullibility. :evil:

Bill :)

Thanks for the info Bill.

Surprise, surprise. the company didn't get back to us on Friday night.

I wonder if it is connected to the card scam. that took ?400 out of our joint account using my wife's details.(PS. We didn't give any information to the PC lot).

I said to the guy in the bank when we reported it and he destroyed my wife's card, that means she can't spend any money.

An hour later, she is in Matalan and guess who pays? Muggins.

The moral of the thread is that it is better to shaqre this information. :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

Simple rules.

1. If in doubt a scam is any good deal that seeks you out.

2. If anyone rings you EVEN IF THEY ARE YOUR OWN BANK

asking for security details, if in doubt ALWAYSgive them false details...only a true agent who already knows your details will know that they are false and then point that out.

3. If in doubt, always say I'll ring you back, then find the company on the internet...not vai the person you speak to, ring the official number.

4. If in doubt, never reveal any complete details, the person contacting you should always be the one giving you information, its up to them, to prove who they are, not up to yuopu to prove who you are.

5. Always be in doubt.

6. See 5.