Paper Mill

lynnl

Strange you should mention Thames Board Mills; as it was the scene of one of the few bombings suffered by Warrington during WW2; apparently during a sports day on some fields at the rear of the factory. The factory was across the river from Chester Rd (Slutchers Lane ?). :?

From what I was told about the bombing at Thames Board Mills.

It was on a sports day that was being held at the time for children. The German bombers followed the rivers/canals on their way to their other chosen targets.

This German pilot was on his way back from a night time raid elsewhere and was lost. Apparently, he was following the River Mersey where he jetisoned his load to save on fuel, so he could make it back across the channel. He was braught down by our Raf or Artilary. When told of what he had done, he was full of genuine remorse.

Don't know if it's true or not, but it does make sense.

Talking of the Luftwaffe, I am sure I have seen a photograph of a crumpled German war plane pictured outside the town hall gates, used as a moral booster or trophy, not sure what type of plane, probably a Messerschmitt.

While I am on the subject of the town hall gates, during spring or summer when the daisies are flowering, you can see a near perfect circle of daises on the lawn, just behind the town hall gates where a ornate fountain once proudly stood. (and no, I am not making it up, nor have I been drinking alcohol or taking drugs).

Well I?ll believe you, thousands wouldn?t! :lol:

There was another paper mill called Chadwick?s but that was a bit further out, just across the river from Victoria Park. I remember that one quite well because a couple of my auntie?s used to work there and also I saw it meet it?s end when it caught fire while I was at the walking day fair.

Bill :)

sue you are quite right the fountain was the walker fountain and the plane was a messerschmidt 109 which was exhibited during war week 7th - 14th july 1940.

i think the picture was from the guardian archives as the only one i have seen looks like it is a cutting from a paper.

While I am on the subject of the town hall gates, during spring or summer when the daisies are flowering, you can see a near perfect circle of daises on the lawn, just behind the town hall gates where a ornate fountain once proudly stood. (and no, I am not making it up, nor have I been drinking alcohol or taking drugs).

How strange :shock I must remember to look out for that in 'daisy' season :wink:

The impressive fountain you mention stood on the Town Hall lawn from 1899 to 1942 when it was scrapped to help with the war efforts.

It was made in Glasgow by Walter MacFarlane & Company and was one of only three made to that design and ours was given to the town in 1899 in remeberance Peter Walker (a local brewer) by his family..... (must have been in competition with the Greenall family for a status symbol :lol: )

Anyway the other two fountains have apparently survived the test of time and one is in Glasgow and one is in South Africa.

Got some lovely pics of it in my local history books but dont want to be done for copyright so here's an online link for anyone who is interested :wink:

http://www.francisfrith.com/warrington,cheshire/photos/town-hall-and-fountain-1901_47249/

sue you are quite right the fountain was the walker fountain and the plane was a messerschmidt 109 which was exhibited during war week 7th - 14th july 1940.

i think the picture was from the guardian archives as the only one i have seen looks like it is a cutting from a paper.

Thanks Evil Sid, Dismayed, I knew I wasn't going bonkers, I thought I had seen an article about a WW2 German plane somewhere, and I still stand by my comments about the ring of daisy's on the town hall lawn, where the fountain once stood, someone else must have seen theis circle too or have an explanation about it?