Love and Marriage?

observer

Seems the latest Tory plans for tax breaks for married couples, has been slagged off by the suitably named Ed Balls; saying that this "would stigmatise the kids" - sorry Ed but it's the parents who are stigmatising the kids with the title "bastard" by NOT getting married in the first place - so self inflicted. :roll:

Obs if two people marry, have a child then divorce two months after the child is born is that ok?

Presumably the child would not be officially a 'b*stard' then by your standards... :roll: but would still have unmarried parents and therefore possibly be more stigmatised through a family break up and divorce :roll:

'B*stard' is not a nice word to use Obs especially when it is aimed and children for no reason :cry:

Oxford Current English Dictionary:- Bastard: - born of parents not married to each other. :roll: So in answer to your Q. Diz: if parents are married, any offspring are legitimate; if the parents subsequently divorce, they still have a mother and father, and whilst such circumstances may affect their development, it's not an uncommon feature of modern society, but I guess you can't force folk to live together "for the sake of their kids". About one in four kids are now living in one parent families, 90% of which are single mums. Some fiscal encouragement of marriage may cause folk either to be more wary of having kids outside it, or put more effort into working at it. :shock:

With regards to the B word in question, I thought that it was a type of metal working file, in fact I've got a few bastards in my tool box..... used one yesterday on some copper piping when I was doing some plumbing :wink::D:D

Regarding the marriage allowance, it used to exist and claimed by the husband, then it was scrapped when a married woman received a tax allowance in her own right. Married men also, I think, used to be able to claim a child tax allowance as well.

The tax and benefits system has got unbelievebly complicated. Interestingly I rather sense that if the Tory proposal looks like a vote winner, Labour will suddenly adopt it. :wink:

Oxford Current English Dictionary:- Bastard: - born of parents not married to each other. :roll:

Yep I know but it is old fashioned and rarely used in that context these days :roll:

Another definition is -

noun - 'B*stard' Slang A person, especially one who is held to be mean or disagreeable :P

Thankfully not Peter.

http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp?CATEGORY=FILES&TYPE=PRODUCT&PARTNUMBER=22-006&SDesc=6%26quot%3B+Mill+Bastard+File

PS On the subject of my plumbing project, it proved to be a right B....but got it sorted. :D

It's all about patience and technique. :wink:

Indeed it is, and a large mug of tea to assist the pondering.

You wouldn't be preaching would you :?

No I'm not preaching Lt.

I posted this because I thought it was apt to post on a thread discussing marriage/childrearing.

It appears that 'the couple chosen by God as parents to rear the Messiah' were chosen for their childrearing abilities, the fact they were not married didn't seem to be a problem.

I myself can't see the relevance of merely possessing a marriage certificate to good childrearing abilities. A child care certificate might be more helpful?

Whatever, that little notice says a whole lot more, I really like it, don't you?

Thought Mary was married to Joseph, even though it wasn't his kid! :?

Mary was 'espoused' to Joseph, which in those days would be a bit like being engaged. Espousements were really the periods of time between the promise of the woman's family to supply a dowry and the dowry being handed over, at which point the couple would usually make the union 'legal' by marriage.

During espousements the couple lived together and as espousements could last years (or years and years! depending on how long it took to agree the details of the dowry and hand it over) it would not be unusual for a couple to produce offspring.

Jesus was born whilst Mary and Joseph were living together (in a state of enspousement).

Whether he was Joseph's kid or not is debated by historians, some who believe that as the bible says she was a virgin at the time of conception he obviously couldn't have been. Others argue that the term 'virgin' in those days merely meant 'a young woman' whether she had sex or not was irrelevant. They would add to their argument references in the bible which appear to mention the existance of an older brother (as well as a number of other younger siblings) of Jesus.

Whether or not Mary and Joseph ever finally got married I don't know.

Actually, the details re his parents marital status, his conception or the number of siblings he may have/not had are not really important to me. The fact that he was a really decent,selfless, community minded bloke, kind, caring, compassionate, who talked a load of sense and used his intelligence for the good of mankind is enough to demand nothing but respect from me.

A child care certificate might be more helpful?

Whatever, that little notice says a whole lot more, I really like it, don't you?

I do, but of course it all rather depends on whether you are a "believer" or not.

With regards to a child care certificate, if it is anything like many certificates that are currently handed out then it will be pretty worthless.