Refurbishing a none existant factory?

Bill

Does anyone know just what?s going on the area of land just off the dual carriageway on Manchester road?

Just a couple of months ago, all the trees were pruned back and the old wooded fence posts and panels were replaced with a new green metal variety. Now just two months down the line it seems this is being replaced with industrial strength shuttering of the kind you might find round a building site.

Add into the puzzle something I half read in the Guardian about over a million pounds to be spent to refurbish the Woolston glue factory (which by the way doesn?t exist) and a similar report a long time ago on the news pages here and I?m totally confused!

Any ideas anyone? :?:?:?

Bill :)

Does anyone know just what?s going on the area of land just off the dual carriageway on Manchester road?

Just a couple of months ago, all the trees were pruned back and the old wooded fence posts and panels were replaced with a new green metal variety.

Maybe it is part of the "Look of the Borough" project that is taking place, and it has now reached that area.

The area is more of less opposite the Dog and Partridge pub along the dual carriageway and includes the bottom end of Woolston Park. As I said, it comes just a couple of weeks after the story about the glue factory refurbishment but the factory was pulled down when I was a kid.

It has all the appearance of becoming some kind of large development site but the area is bounded by a brook and the river so it?s potentially it?s in a high flood risk area. :?

:) Bill, from memory a story ran a few weeks ago saying that the area from Woolston tip through to the Citroen Garage had received a massive grant to have the new cut canal and surrounding land reclaimed as an open space to be restored as a leisure area for the public including that section of canal being restored to its former glory !!! Pretty sure that the work has already started....

Bill do you mean the scheme to refurbish a former glue factory at Woolston New Cut canal?

The ?1.2 miilion project is for a 400m section of the canal that is currently polluted. The stretch of the canal is owned by Peel Ports and the work will include access improvements to the adjoining council-owned site.

The NWDA cliam that

The use of green compost and other recycled materials features heavily in the scheme, which will not only improve existing wildlife habitats but create new ones too.

The cash will also pay for maintenance of the site for the next 15 years.

It's backed by the Northwest Development Agency and the Waste Resources Action Programme.

1009608_9af8e8b7.jpg

Thanks for that Indy. I?ve just actually managed to find the article and it does say that they are going to spend 1.2 million pounds on this area that?s currently an old industrial site reclaimed by nature.

The council say that they are all very excited about this but I?d be even more excited if they left it alone and spent the money improving the environment in the surrounding area where people actually live. It?s not like we are short of public open spaces with both Woolston Park and Paddington Meadows literally on our doorsteps.

Call me Mr Grumpy if you like but to me, this is just another example of the council getting its priorities completely wrong.

Geoff

The use of green compost and other recycled materials features heavily in the scheme, which will not only improve existing wildlife habitats but create new ones too.

That?s just a load of glossy council spin to hide the real facts.

The reality was that the councils composting campaign was so successful that it was generating more compost than could be absorbed by our parks and gardens. The council then had to look for areas to effectively ?dump? the compost or face sending it for landfill so what better place than the rough ground just round the corner. :wink:

Not complaining here, it makes absolute sense but the prime reason was excess compost rather than to help nature which was doing a pretty good job for itself.

Call me Mr Grumpy if you like but to me, this is just another example of the council getting its priorities completely wrong.

Hello Mr Grumpy!

You are grumpy today Bill.. it must be catching :lol:

The council don't appear to be paying for it.. from what I understand they have received funding from elsewhere. Would you refuse an offered funding that was granted to you for a particular task :wink:

Could be worse it could have turned out to be blocks of flats or housing developments... although that may well come in 15 years time when all the land is all nice and clean. How old will you be by then :lol::P

http://www.nwda.co.uk/news--events/press-releases/200901/woolston-get-new-ecology-park.aspx

I think you might find that they could only have the money if they used it for such things. Grants tend to be divided up into sections and reclamation/regeneration is a big buzzwordy thing at the minute. WBC probably had the choice of using ?1.2M of grant money to enhance and maintain a derelict bit of land for public enjoyment or not have the ?1.2M at all.