Refurbishing a none existant factory?

Bill

The council say that they are all very excited about this but I?d be even more excited if they left it alone and spent the money improving the environment in the surrounding area where people actually live...... Bill :)

I agree with you Bill, hasn't enough public money been doled out to clean up people's private moats? Why can't the 'Peel companies' pay to clean up their own sh*te?

Sha

To be fair, Peel Holding didn?t build the old glue factory so it?s not exactly their mess but for sure they?ll benefit from public money being used to clean up the area.

A similar thing happened in Grappenhall some time back where public money was used to transform some wasteland into a pleasant park like area, which then ended up as an exclusive housing estate.

Dizzy

I do understand exactly where the money?s coming from and maybe that?s the bigger issue here and the cause of me being a bit/lot grumpy.

The way I see it is that it rather like doing you?re shopping at Sainsbury?s, building up your Nectar points then have Sainsbury?s dictate you can only spend them on energy saving light bulbs.

Now take this analogy one step further. Make Sainsbury?s the only store in town and put yourself on the breadline. You already have a cupboard full of energy saving bulbs but your kids need new shoes. Without labouring the point, you can see where this is going.

Allowing faceless organisations to dictate what our money?s used for on a use it or loose it basis is a sure-fire way of ensuring that priorities are not addressed.

Bill :)

:? OK so I think I'm following what you mean Bill but I already have a box full of energy saving lightbulbs that british gas and other suppliers gave out free :lol: Bloody awful things :roll:

So anyway.... who owns the actual piece(s) of land that is now receiving the grant money. Is it NWDA, Peels, English Partnerships, WBC or a.n.other ? And who applied for the grants ?

Sha

To be fair, Peel Holding didn?t build the old glue factory so it?s not exactly their mess but for sure they?ll benefit from public money being used to clean up the area. /quote]

Bill, if you bought a house with a knackered old shed in a flood-ridden garden, you would have bought it for a price reflecting the state of the property. If you then left it to degenerate further, to a point where your neighbours were complaining and the place was not only an eyesore but could be classed as dangerous, you would eventually receive an enforcement order to clean it up!

Do you think it would be considered 'fair' If you were allocated public funds to clean it all up, transform it into a lovely little wildlife haven, and pay for a gardener for 15 years?

So why is is not fair to suggest the Peel companies pay to clean up their own sh*te?

And.....before anyone points it out to me....Yes I am aware that the public will have access to.....this lovely little piece of contaminated land (not somewhere I'd particularly like the kids to get stuck in the mud!).

Land which though presently classified as 'contaminated' will become reclassified as 'open space provision' and as there is already adequate open space provision in the area this further addition will thus enable the freeing up of other sites for housing development.

Sha

I think that maybe my previous post wasn?t quite as clear as it should have been. I was merely pointing out that they didn?t actually create the problem but none the less as you rightly say, they?ve bought the land and stand to benefit from it?s future development. To my way of thinking (and most others in this area) if they ultimately want to develop the area, then Peel Holdings should be paying the clean up costs entirely from their own sources rather than using public money.

To suggest that this is simply a wholesome green initiative that we should all welcome is nothing short of a cynical attempt to deceive the public about the real intentions. The Newcut canal is over two miles long but the only one very short section is to be made good. I would suggest that it?s no coincidence that this just also happens to be in the only section where commercial development could realistically take place.

The area as it stands now is essentially rough land completely overgrown with bushes and brambles providing a natural environment for a variety of wildlife and personally, that?s the way I think it should stay. Opening up access and trying to tinker with nature is not the right way, especially given that we already have two of the town?s largest parks/natural open areas directly adjacent to this site. If Peel Holdings do have plans to develop the area, then they should be up front about their intentions.

My argument though is not really about the land, it?s the way the our money (and it is our money) is allowed to be used on projects that ?excite? local politicians earning them brownie points and green flags but leave local people with no say in the matter. Their argument is that they aren?t actually spending any real money because it?s a ?free gift? from the company we pay to remove our rubbish, hence my Nectar points analogy.

Ask the people of this area where they would like to see money being spent to improve the local environment and the answer would almost certainly be on roads and footpaths, not an inaccessible forgotten waste area on the other side of the dual carriageway.

Bill :)

Is contaminated land to be left for ever? The Athlone Road scrap yard could have had its contamination dealt with commercially under the medical waste recycling proposal, but no, that modern process (one operates in the middle of an Irish hospital site) was turned down because of politically-driven public opposition. Here's a contaminated site that can't be commercially developed, and a coalition of "faceless organisations" comes up with a solution, and the money. (What organisation has a face?)

Bewsey Tip is also getting money from the NWDA under the same scheme to open a landfill site up for public recreation. There's ?17.5 million available for the whole of Cheshire, Woolston Cut costs ?600,000 not ?1.2m - read the NWDA press release, "part of a ?1.25m project".

Is Warrington a good place to live? Not while there are so many people, including the press, ready to turn a good news story into something more to shout their prejudices about.