Missing workers

Egbert

Once again, during the half term holidays, there has been a noticeable reduction in traffic. It can't just be the absence of the "school run" because it is evident well before school starting time.

So it must be missing workers - part time workers, probably, who don't work when their children are off school.

What puzzles me is, if these people are in gainful employment, how can employers spare them during holidays? Are they needed at all?

If children are off and parents can't find anyone to look after them then they have no option but to take time off with them. :( but could be a chance for quality time with their children.

I was in Stanley Park, Blackpool yesterday and the place was alive with families having fun whilst on the front it was heaving with people - so maybe eveyone's gone to Blackpool to enjoy the mild climate. :D

Back in Warrington it's a great week for driving a mini bus as I don't have all the parents blocking access to homes where I have to pick up diabled people from. During school time it's a nightmare especially in Hood Manor!! so I'm having a nice relaxed time this week. :wink:

Can't argue with any of those responses. But they all miss the point I was making. Once they have used up their holiday entitlement, how can these people be spared from work if they are really needed?

Nobody but teachers (and MP perhaps!) has enough holiday entitlement to be off work everytime the schools are on holiday.

Yet the difference in traffic indicates that a vast number of people ARE off when the schools are closed.

Perhaps people are taking advantage of not being tied to the childrens' timetables to leave for work earlier/later than usual thus the traffic is spread over a longer "rush hour" period. Take away the purely school run trips and the teachers/school assistants and you will see a considerable drop in traffic density. 8)8)

Perhaps like me thay are able to work flexi-hours.

I am expected to be at work during core hours - outside those provided I do my 37.5 and my team must meet the service level support then it all works fine. Some start at 7am whilst others go home at 8pm and then those on 24/7 get called when they are needed during the night.

Mind you my work is IT related so we have access to all the toys to do the job. :wink: Maybe more people are making use of them as well.

There has always been a big drop in the numbers of people commuting during the school holidays and I have always enjoyed the relative peace and quiet - so just sit back and relax - don't worry about it. :wink:

Back in Warrington it's a great week for driving a mini bus as I don't have all the parents blocking access to homes where I have to pick up diabled people from

Mind you my work is IT related so we have access to all the toys to do the job

Do you work in IT or drive a minibus for a living?

Both plus a few other activities. I remember back when I was in school that our teachers used to tell us that we would be changing our careers many times over. You have to be flexible, work hard and keep learning as much as you can to widen your opportunities. :D

Maybe that's why the roads have been so quiet during half term, the drivers are learning new skills or spending quality time with their youngsters and teaching them new skills.

Just back from t'Egypt.... fabulous place.... me being away hasn't affected the traffic though as we walk to school!!

As for holidays, some people work for themselves and can take time when they want (finances permitting of course) some, like my missus, get up to 28 days and some in like the health service can get up to 35 days, so plenty of time to do things with the kids.!!