APPLETON PHONE MAST. Objections needed by 23rd June

Sha

Sha

I?ll answer that but only if you can tell me how long a piece of string is. :lol::lol::lol:

If we were dealing with somewhere like the remote Shetland Isles for sure one very high mast might well be used to cover a huge geographical area and because of the sparse population, the capacity of a single mast might well be enough. Up in that neck of the woods, it wouldn?t matter if the mast was a mile high because there?d be no other masts in range for it to interfere with. Put a mile high mast up here and the signal will wipe out the whole Northwest!

It?s a difficult equation involving both radio range and carrying capacity. In essence the capacity of the mast is fixed at X number of mobile calls so it?s actually the population density that?s the main factor in determining how many actual masts are needed while the height and power govern the range.

Bill :)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Bill, So the actual need could be calculated....... if the relevant data were analysed of course!

Do you know if there is any independant 'body' who are supposed to ensure that the amount and siting of masts matches the actual need? Do you think would Oftel be able to advise?

Well you could try but I doubt your every going to get a definitive answer because as I say it?s one of those how long is a long piece of string type questions. It?s the growth in demand for the newer services such as wireless broadband that cause the biggest problems so one can only guess at the future needs.

Sorry gota keep this short as I?m working out on site for the next few days.

Bill :)