Sunshine - local tragedy

Dizzy

A 16 year old boy has drowned in Appleton Reservoir this afternoon after jumping in and not resurfacing... he was apparently there with a group of friends :cry::cry:

The Rescue Services have issued a renewed warning to remind people about the dangers of swimming in open areas of water such as rivers, canals, reservoirs etc.

My heart goes out to the young lads family and friends :cry::cry:

It?s a very sad thing that has happened, but one of the many fond memories of my childhood, is jumping off the cliffs at Moore Quarry, Wally Res and even swimming in Sankey Valley park canal...I look at it now and think I would not even allow a dog to swim in it.

My heart goes out to the family, but I think its a sad loss to childhood the mount of bubble wrap already instilled in kids, the lack of freedom and disassociation/exclusion from their local natural environment maybe a cause of their rebellion and anti-socialness as they do not feel they belong to the area.

These incidents are rare when compared to the number of people swimming in such places when we do get the good weather, so while this is understandably devastating to those concerned it should not be used to restrict natural behavior, maybe to highlight a demand for better rescue facilities at the popular locations.

these are not stupid people, they are normal people, this incident was not inevitable as 10,000s of people have swam in that same place without coming to harm, stupid would be one who does something that inevitably would result in a downfall most of the time.

Used to do this kind of thing when we were kids, sometimes wonder how we survived: it's not actually how good a swimmer you are, but often the shock of hitting cold (freezing) water below the surface, that causes the shock that can kill. :cry:

Very true Obs. I was lucky when I was 16, we used to go swimming in the River Dee )scottish version), and during hot summer days by evening the water would actually be warm to swim in.

I was only ever a competent swimmer, but the river was narrow where we used to go so I could cope; anyway, wearing trainers because the bottom is rocky, when in mid-river I simply couldn't kick my heavy trainers any more, as I was swept away one of my mates realised I wasn't mucking about, and dived in, he would have come with me but we hit a large rock downstream and that saved us.

That resevoir always has a load of kids whenever I've been golfing on nice summer days, just very sad that this has happened, and so easily done.

I suspect that as youngsters most of us have done similar things without thinking of the consequences at the time.

I guess we were lucky and now we are older 'most' of us probably realise how stupid and potentially life threatening it was at the time. :shock: We would probably go mad with our owns kids they did similar things now.

As a teenager I went in Appleton Res, floated round on a dingy in Moore Quarry, climbed the banks of the Manchester Ship Canal, walked across the Bridgwater Canal when it was frozen and even sneaked off on family camping holidays for midnight swims...... even though I could hardly swim :shock:

Sadly for this young lad he was not one of the lucky ones and what seemed like just a bit of fun on a hot sunny day ended in him loosing his life in a matter of minutes :cry:

Makes you think eh :cry:

Used to do this kind of thing when we were kids, sometimes wonder how we survived: it's not actually how good a swimmer you are, but often the shock of hitting cold (freezing) water below the surface, that causes the shock that can kill. :cry:

Alas it seems that the young man who died couldn't swim.

Well that's a no brainer, if we'd known, could have saved a few posts. :roll:

:roll::roll:

Maybe he just didn't realise how deep it was :cry:

Some of the side areas are quite shallow but, if memory serves me right, the areas near the fenced off boxes are much deeper as that is where the water outlet pipes are :cry:

According to one of his school mates, he jumped off the box that is fenced off. Not the easiest of places to get to.

Allegedly, some sick saddo filmed it and put it on You tube.

According to the word on the street he was dared to jump in by his so called friends!

:cry:

Let's hope for the family's sake the lad's 'friends' will reveal just what happened to cause a none swimmer to go in the water. Always has been a trespass prob here in a spell of warm weather but never any sign of United Urilities security. However, never recall a fatality at the res. Perhaps things were safer when there was fly fishing although I had a few close encounters with enthusiasts casting back while I was jogging round the path - "ouch".

A number of years ago, I had death threats and a grave dug for me as a warning to mind my own business by a couple of irate and angry thuggee fathers. The reason for this was that I had made a group of youngsters 10 - 12 years of age get out of a deep water where they were swimming. They were on their own unsupervised, while the so called parents went back home for their terriers and badger digging equipment.

One thing led to another and I called for police backup.

After seconds of being so close to being c.s gassed by an officer because of their agressiveness, the thuggee's were arrested and thrown in the back of the van. Social services took care of the children.

Would I do it again? Yes, I most certainly would. No matter how old the person is, I wouldn't want anybody's death on my conscience for lack of action on my own part.

Back to this poor unfortunate lad.

Possibly peer presuure might have had something to do with it. Who knows? A young life has been lost.

R.I.P

Temi Abimbola.