Low energy bulbs

Bill

I?ve got one of the new low energy ones on my stairs and it?s getting progressively dimmer. I turned it on last night and I swear the room actually went darker.

It?s only been in for about two years and it?s not like it gets a lot of use so why is it failing so soon?

So what?s the procedure now for disposing of these useless pieces of junk?

I?ve heard we can?t just put them in the bin or throw them in the skip because they contain mercury. :shock:

Bill :)

If you look in my cupboard, you could be excused for thinking I?m stocking up on the newer one?s because businesses like supermarkets keep giving me the bloody things for free.

I don?t mid them in some areas where I don?t spend much time but I wouldn?t use them say in the living room. In any case, most of my living areas are on dimmers and these thing won't work there.

from the FAQ section of the energy saving trust web page.

Don't CFLs contain mercury? And isn't that bad for the environment?

Energy saving bulbs contain only tiny traces of mercury - imagine a pellet smaller than the tip of a biro. What's more, in the long term, CFL technology will actually help less mercury to pollute the air.

This is because burning fossil fuels like coal is the biggest source of mercury in the air. And as energy saving bulbs use 80% less electricity than a traditional bulb, they mean far less mercury overall.

Recycling your energy saving light bulbs

Energy saving light bulbs are part of the Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) initiative which means that those who sell these products must provide information to the public on how they can be recycled. You could speak to the retailer you purchased your energy saving light bulb from about how to recycle it or alternatively you could contact your local authority to see if they will recycle energy saving light bulbs. If you don't know who your local authority is you can find this out at Directgov

so when you next go to your local pound hsop they will know all about how to dispose of them(yeah right) :wink:

or your local council will tell you,well maybe they will set up a committee to look into it and decide it is too costly so just put them in the normal bin for now. :shock:

I don?t mid them in some areas where I don?t spend much time but I wouldn?t use them say in the living room. In any case, most of my living areas are on dimmers and these thing won't work there.

You can get ones that work with dimmers but they're a bit more expensive and therefore don't tend to be the ones which are given away. Have also found that the freebie ones aren't that good but you can get some very good ones which are find for any room in the house from supermarkets and DIY shops these days. It's just a pity that the early ones and many of the freebies are so poor as it puts a lot of people off.

Warning - if you happen to break one :?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-506347/An-energy-saving-bulb-gone--evacuate-room-now.html

and hight UV readings / dangers :?::? (first 20 seconds are an advert but interesting after that )

http://www.globaltv.com/globaltv/globalshows/16x9/video.html?maven_playerId=16x9extralargeplayer&maven_referralPlaylistId=b21903f607126ddafaf4a2be2fdd36c48e7fe239&maven_referralObject=3408462

Regardless of all this the energy saving ones are starting to get on my nerves now and I've replaced a few with the old style after a few months of perseverance, eye ache but mainly becasue they make my everywhere look cold, bleak and uninviting... even when the have reached full glow.

Horrid things.... come on manufacturers make them better and put a hint of cosyness in them at least before we arel all forced to fill our loft space with hoards of the old type to last us for years :lol::shock:

Good old Dismaye'd broke the thread with a mega long link.

Tip? Use the second URL option like this.

Bulbs! Much nicer :wink:

?10 a go for a bulb that by all accounts doesn?t dim anywhere near as well as a normal bulb and reading up on the subject

they may not even work at all with certain controllers. I have a total of 10 bulbs in my living room that allow me complete

control over the lighting so to spend ?100 replacing bulbs and in return get a poorer quality of light with less control seems

to be a complete no-brainer.

My conservatory lighting also uses 10 similar bulbs so another ?100 needed there. Its all a bit academic as all the fittings are

designed to accept the miniature format bulbs so the new stuff probably wouldn?t fit anyway.