Earth Hour

asperity

It was a bit "tongue in cheek" on my part Dizzy. The greenies have announced an Earth Hour tomorrow between 8.30 and 9.30 pm (local time). When they switch OFF the lights I presume they'll use candles for lighting (which cause more pollution than electric lights) and it won't make any difference to the emmissions from the power stations so pretty pointless really. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Er no Peter. If you look again I say I'll be switching them all ON!! :lol::lol::lol:

I'm working toooooo hard.

The cost of electricity and the amount produced is normally the same 24/7. Any surplus electricity is sent to earth anyway, or so I was informed many years ago.

It's all very well switching lights off but what about the things that really consume the electricity? There's the fridge, the freezer, the heating (even if it's gas it needs electricity to regulate it). How about the TV, is that going off for an hour? And the computer? Don't have the washing machine or the dishwasher going and please don't listen to the radio, even if you've turned the TV off. So, you switch everything off and go out in the car. Waaaah! you're using petrol and those streets are lit. It's a bit pointless, isn't it?

Isn't this all an exercise in futility? :?:roll: We have over a third of the world's population (China and India) gagging to get cars, fridges, TVs, washing machines etc, and indeed, are now making most of them: so who's going to tell them they can't have them? :?:shock: Afraid the genie is out of the bottle. :roll::wink:

Look don?t knock it, if some get comfort from sitting in the dim light of a candle for an hour while contemplating the fate of humanity then perhaps it?s not a bad thing after all.

Then again if you like that sort of thing, why not go the whole hog and become something like a Budest monk, breed butterflies and get them all to flap their wings at the same time thus cooling the earth.

Problem solved :lol:

Bill :)

just remembered a spike milligan sketch called the detective. can be found on utube would have posted the link but this is a family forum and the content could be deemed as a bit risque.

if you have seen this sketch then you will see why this topic brought it to mind if you haven't then it is worth a look only about a minute long but funny.

wonder as well how many time the fire brigade will be called out to houses set alight by candles lit for this occasion. how many people will have a fall after tripping over the cat in the dark. :oops::roll:

Isn't this all an exercise in futility? :?:roll: We have over a third of the world's population (China and India) gagging to get cars, fridges, TVs, washing machines etc, and indeed, are now making most of them: so who's going to tell them they can't have them? :?:shock: Afraid the genie is out of the bottle. :roll::wink:

The Earth Hour thing is a world wide thing that's been going a few years, think it's more about awareness than actually saving anything in that hour but could be wrong.

Re the China / India consumption comment, a heck of a lot of the energy used in these countries (China in partiuclar) is in making cheap rubbish that we in the West buy so we're kind of responsible for that also.

It's 21.20 on my PC.... my TV is on, my PC is on, my washer is on, my lights are on, all my neighbours lights are on (even the ones who are out through fear of break ins probably).....

All the street lights are still on.... drove through Stockton heath about 20 mins ago and ALL the lights in ALL the bars, restaurants and pubs are still on

So nothing different round here ...

WHAT WAS THE POINT AGAIN ????