Westwood

Latchford Locks

It's stretching it a bit to call the Westwood incident a *tackle*. It was nothing short of a vicious assault with the sole intention of seriously hurting the player. The bloke was unconscious before his head hit the pitch with a mighty thud rendering the player even more senseless. 5 matches is a let off in my book when if the same thing happened at Bridge Foot on a Saturday night would have him facing possible jail time. RL is a hard tough game but what Westwood did was thuggery of the first order.

Ben's wasn't a tackle or accident it was deliberate. I can't understand why he wasn't sent off immediatley.

If you think the game is getting soft when people are being stretchered off after having a full armed smash in the face and then to finish it off the payers head was thrust into the earth just to make sure.

Then you're watching the wrong sport or you've lost touch with the fundamentals of the game. May be it's just a reflection of socirty but I don't think so.

I want to see a game of skill not a wrestling match.

If you think the game is getting soft when people are being stretchered off after having a full armed smash in the face and then to finish it off the payers head was thrust into the earth just to make sure.

Then you're watching the wrong sport or you've lost touch with the fundamentals of the game. May be it's just a reflection of socirty but I don't think so.

I want to see a game of skill not a wrestling match.

I take it you didn't watch the game in the 60's?

They brought the Aussies over here to teach them skill, sadly it failed. It's still head down and charge. get the rose-tinted specs off.

So I take it from that Pete that you go and watch the game iwith a view of watching players punch nine bells out of each other.

At a football match you would probably advocate breaking legs, head butting or worse.

Games have rules and punishment when those rules are broken.

What happened in the past doesn't justify it taking place now, what sort of philosophy is that?

sstn45l.jpg

So I take it from that Pete that you go and watch the game iwith a view of watching players punch nine bells out of each other.

At a football match you would probably advocate breaking legs, head butting or worse.

Ever heard of Tommy Smith, Chopper Harris, Norman Hunter? George Best survived. I doubt there were as many injuries back in those days.

Sports people were a tougher breed in those days, hence my remark about being soft.

It could be argued that FOUR men attacking ONE is wrong.

With your attitude Geoff, it will be it will be touch rugby. :roll:

Of course there have always been hard men in rugby league but none of the truly hard men would have indulged themselves in such a cheap shot which Westwood has been found guilty of. For my money what he did wasn't hard or tough it was the act of a coward. The real hard men would have a toe to toe with anybody(including my hero AJ Murphy.) They wouldn't have stooped as low as Westwood. The more I think about it the more I'm convinced he should be sacked. He's become a liability.

Latch, the difference between the 'hard men' and Westwood is that Westwood's was a deliberate cowardly act of violence whereas the likes of Boyd & Co were usually in contests were they recieved as good as they gave.

A good ruck used to be the highlight of some games but you wouldn't see the sneaky cheap shot merchants joining in.

I have only seen the incident once on tv & it looked sickening,but i was at the match in the south stand & could hear the contact from about 50 yards away,that too was sickening.For me the ban was fully deserved ,but is the man on something or is it a case of bad blood from previous Catalan matches...the whole match seemed a bad tempered affair.