Further to bus lane outside Tesco,Winwick Rd....

Davy51

I am completely confused about the above. On the approach to the bus lane there are arrows in both lanes telling traffic to proceed straight ahead & the broad white line characteristic of a bus lane has disappeared,but the blue bus lane signs on the footpath are still in situ.Can anyone tell if the bus lane is still in use or has it been discontinued & the council have only done half a job & not removed the signs?

Thanks.

I think it is half a job. The bus lane has gone (hurray!!) and there is now a bus stop in its place

All we need now is for the council to realise who pays the costs for the roads and get rid of these nonsense bike lanes that most cyclists don't use.

Cromwell Avenue is a prime example; it has bike lanes all the way along but most cyclists prefer to use the road and get in the way of tax paying car drivers....

Bah!

The lycra clads are the worst, they seem to think they have the god given right to slow traffic down to a snail pace while they ride two abreast while they talk to each other about nut cutlets and lentil recipies

Get off the roads and onto the bike tracks you morons! and if there are no tracks; get on the footpaths. :lol:

Why the hell should cyclists get off the road and onto the footpaths, hindering and endangering pedestrians just so motorists can go faster!? :x

Because they are a danger to traffic. They are more akin to the speed of walking than to the speed of cars. That is why they should be on the footpaths. Also, even when there are cycle lanes and the cyclists do not use them.

* They don't pay road tax :x

* They do not obey traffic signals (ok I may be generalising but I would hazard a guess that most do not) :x

* Down Cromwell avenue and indeed down most main arterial roads in the town there are few or no pedestrians in the way but lots of cars. :x

That is why they should get the hell off the roads; not so I and other car drivers can go faster, because cyclists are a danger on the roads.

On my way home tonight, 4 cyclists in the dark with no lights. Seems a brain transplant is also need to ride one of these infernal machines now :x :x

Well since most of them also own a car...

How do you know this? have you asked them all?

:x:twisted: Hell's Bells! I wish I could walk as fast as a cyclist can cycle. Footpaths are for people on feet that is why they are called footpaths. A cycle is a machine. Roads are meant for machines and that is where the cyclists should bloody well stay or leave their bikes at home! I don't want my space invaded and my safety comprised just to please you or any other motorist!

Just because you pay tax and insurance on a car doesn't mean you pay to travel on a bike and go clogging up the roads. I own a few cars and all taxed and insured but I would be damned if I would go cycling up Cromwell Avenue without using the very expensive cycle lanes that have been provided.

Bikes should ride on the footpath in this day and age. There is no danger of upsetting the plod because they aren't bothered; they don't even bother to investigate 39% of all crimes reported according to recent figures.

Use the car and leave the bike at home.... you know it makes more sense! :lol:

You MUST NOT cycle on a pavement.

[Laws HA 1835 sect 72 & R(S)A 1984, sect 129]

Unless a bill is passed making it legal to ride on footpaths/pavements it is illegal to ride a cycle on a foothpath wether, the police bother or not, and that is the main reason why they should stay where they belong - on the road. Or are you advocating that people should break the law because it suits you for them to do so? Would you have the same opinion if someone burgled your home? - Oh it doesn't matter the police don't bother anyway.

So you own several cars - all taxed and insured - good for you! Shows how selfish you are in this day and age of car over-population polluting our environment etc.,.

Nuff said! :x

So you own several cars - all taxed and insured - good for you! Shows how selfish you are in this day and age of car over-population polluting our environment etc.,.

Nuff said! :x

I own a few cars... not several so please stop trying to change things to suit your weak arguements. My cars are all in tip top order; unlike a lot on the roads which I see..I own a few classic cars; mainly because it brings pleasure to people when I show them. It also puts money into the economy because I am charged insurance for the whole year even though they only see the light of day a few times a year. (Tax is free because they are over 40 years old)

Now if you want to go on some lentil eating, eco friendly rant about the evils of modern transport then please feel free. Unfortunately there is as yet no alternative to the car. Electric power is a non-starter because it is quite frankly; rubbish and bikes are an ancient form of transport which are great for going to school on (which I did for 5 years and mostly on the footpath)

As for bikes and footpaths; you cannot seriously be advocating that kids or children cycle on busy main roads alongside trucks and buses are you? Or would they be OK on the footpaths? Are you completely mad or does your madness only get directed at someone who likes cars and thinks bikes should be left on the footpaths?

Yes, you've got it, my madness IS directed at people like you who think cycles should be left on the footpaths!

Cycling on footpaths is illegal, whether you agree or not, and is a hazard for pedestrians. No weak argument. As for kids, give them the fare to go to school by bus or let them walk but don't use them to support your selfish, weak, argument.

Frankly I dont give a damn how many times your many cars come out and for what reason. You are polluting my atmosphere and that is all that concerns me, along with my safety and freedom of movement on footpaths.

If anyone who disagrees with your views is mad then mad I am.

Cleopatra perhaps the mountains of Wales or Scotland might suit you better or even Mars.

I ride on the roads, (or used to), but what I have noticed, is that the majority of cyclists leave home without their braincell and are a danger to everyoine whether a pedestrian or a motorist.

I suggest that you remedy this problem and then we can debate exactly where the cyclists should be.

As for kids, give them the fare to go to school by bus or let them walk but don't use them to support your selfish, weak, argument.

I am not being selfish at all. I drive at normal times as do the majority of car drivers. Unfortunately cyclists believe that the rules of the road and the highway code; do not apply to them at any time. Red lights, pedestrian crossings etc are all just things to ignore and to leave to the car and van and lorry drivers to worry about. 3 abreast on a main road? no problem if you are a lycra warrior; it is all part of the fun of cycling.

Kids ride bikes more than adults (unless you live in China where everyone rides a bike because they can't afford cars.... yet) and yet you choose to ignore part of my argument by saying to give them bus fares or letting them walk..... given that the bus fares in this town are so expensive; why shouldn't kids ride on a footpath when it is so dangerous to go on a road?....

As for polluting your atmosphere Cleo, well that is the way the cookie crumbles love; in order for you to have your cycle lanes and bus lanes and god knows how many other lanes, it is the cars and their drivers that pay for it all so a bit of CO3 is a price that has to be paid.... unless of course you would like us all to go back to wearing sack cloths and living with candles for lighting and horses for transport?

Yes, you've got it, my madness IS directed at people like you who think cycles should be left on the footpaths!

and no I don't believe they should be left on the footpaths.... they should be riden on the footpaths with lights and tax and insurance so that if a collision happens the cyclists insurance company coughs up just like us car drivers have to do. :lol: