Manchester Ship Canal - any idea on date ?

Dizzy

Has anyone got any idea of a possible date for this picture.

It shows the Manchester Ship Canal opposite Ellesmere Road (between Walton and Stockton Heath swing bridges.) Very neat and tidy canal banks and none of the large trees we see today and the ones that are there are on the pavement side of the fence and have obviously sine been removed. You can also see the old cement works near Walton Locks... although that's obviously older than the one that was demolished a couple of years ago to make way for Peels Holdings Walton Locks new development as it's a different shape :? .

thanks

MSCandCementWorksOld.jpg

• 1 year later...

The edging stones to the Canal were replaced in the early sixties, as was the fence alongside the footpath on Ellesmre Road. The fence was originally iron and was replaced with a wooden one. That's close to where we lived from 1960-1963, 73 Ellesmre Road. The cement works was Coopers. That photo would be early to mid 1960's.

Thanks for the info Teesidewire and Simon :D:D

Bit spooky that you once lived at number 73 though TSide... very very small world :wink::shock:8)

Anyway do you have any photos of Ellesmere Road or Stockton Heath from the 60's if so you should upload them as they would be great to see :D

Dismayed, what's spooky about that? I am a Warrington lad (according to my birth cert), and also lived at 6, Red Gables, Pepper St, Appleton, 78, Walton Rd (Grocers shop lost to widening the Rd), and 17, Orchard St, Stockton Heath. I only left to go to Teesside Poly, met my wife there and stayed. As you can tell by my name, I return home quite frequently to watch the mighty Wire. I don't have any photos of Ellesmere Road or the Canal, but I would appreciate it if anyone has any of the sinking of the Mary P Cooper.

Dismayed, what's spooky about that?quote]

:oops::oops: Sorry... it's was spooky (to me anyway :lol: ) cos number 73 is now my sisters house and she had a framed copy of the picture in her hallway... thought I'd put that bit oops :wink::D

There's more than one of you???? :shock: aaaaaaagh. :wink:

Ahh, now I understand, that is a bit spooky. Does the garage still have the inspection hatch in the floor?

Afraid not but the garage that is there now was built by the previous owners who bought it in around the mid 90's so maybe they filled it in or it was gone before then :wink:

Dismayed, what's spooky about that?quote]

:oops::oops: Sorry... it's was spooky (to me anyway :lol: ) cos number 73 is now my sisters house and she had a framed copy of the picture in her hallway... thought I'd put that bit oops :wink::D

There's more than one of you???? :shock: aaaaaaagh. :wink:

Yep and there'e even more of us living 'locally' and I am by far the nicest and more placid of the bunch so be carefull... and between us we have the skill and the will to have most things 'covered' :lol::P:wink: