No Cold Calling !

observer

Well, we know they have little powers or money to do anything really profound or meaningfull on the Council; but this latest single cell brain wave (ww news), to erect "no cold calling" signs all over the place, is yet another money wasting idea to go with those "47 casualties in 3 years" signs, and create even more obstacles for blind pedestrians to bump into. :roll: All they will do is identify vulnerable areas, and thus attract the very spivs they are meant to deter. :roll: On the basis that they can have any effect, why not more signs - "no mugging area"; " knife free zone"; "no guns allowed" etc etc. :roll: If Cllr Maher is still getting his additional allowances on the Police Ctte; maybe he would be better employed getting more Police onto our streets to deal with unwanted cold callers?! :wink:

It all sounds like the Council's "signs" department is going through some kind of bizarre ISO9000 exercise wherein a sign needs to be erected for everything - no matter how obvious!

How long before we encounter signs saying:

"Warning - stepping into oncoming traffic may result in injury"

"Caution - youngsters gather here" (outside local off license perhaps)

"Beware - local elected member canvassing opinion in this area!"

Mary

Cold calling is a salesman calling unannounced to try and sell you something. Cold calling is not necessarily a bad thing - lots of reputable firms do it. But in this particular instance they are usually rogue traders who persuade elderly people they need roof repairs, or something like, charge them a lot of money and then don't do the job properly.

Hope this answers your question

A bit like a Councillor Mary. They turn up on your doorstep or stuff lots of paper waste (allegedly campaign material) through the letter box.

They offer you all sorts of unbelievable deals and services in order to gain your trust and eventually your business (or vote in this case)

and they do absolutely bugger all what they promised and always end up ripping you off and charging more.....

Maybe Matt Albright should do a show on "Rogue Councillors".... Warrington would be top of the list! Maybe they could get David Earl and Councillor Axcel on to explain the waste of money Westbrook traffic lights!!

:lol:

Well not sure about the cold calling signs (sounds a bit odd) but the accident blackspot/casualties/warning signs have been around for years in other parts of the country. They can be quite useful for people who don't actually know the road - just makes them proceed with a bit of extra caution, and that can't be a bad thing.

No problem with "Black Spot" signs.

It's the ones that say that there have been so many accidents. I am unaware of these actually happening. Is anyone else aware of them? I am especially thinking of the roundabout at the junction of Farrell St and Kingsway.

Apart from a wagon tipping over the other week, I haven't seen any.

:?

Eagle, your comment is lost on me, but I think you're being deliberately obtuse.

Baz - WHERE did you get that avatar?? Its great!

There was a sign on the M5, around Gloucester, for some years that had a picture of an overturned caravan alongside the number of recorded accidents involving vehicles towing caravans each year.

The number of such accidents decreased significantly, one assumes because a) drivers towing drove more responsibly, and B) the rest of us gave caravans an even wider berth!

• 1 month later...

PS With regards to the accidents signs, I understand they are temporary. I'll have to find out how much they cost.

Temporary :?::?: They look pretyt permenant, sturdy and very well embedded in the ground to me. Attaching them to trees and lamp posts with zippy ties would have seemed more of a temporary measure :wink:

Not only should you find out how much they cost to produce and install Paul but perhaps you should find out how much they will cost to be removed (if indeed the are) and what exactly will happen to them then :?

Money wastin again :roll:

Anyway.... Back to the original comment by Obs re: no cold calling.......

If cold calling is not illegal and traders/suppliers have already said they will continue to operate in the ?no calling? zones then what exactly are the council hoping to achieve.

I?m with Obs on this one and think that it just promotes vunerability in an area.

I think the residents (probably the older and more worried ones) are expecting far more from the scheme than they are likely to get :cry:

Correct; and it's merely a cruel deception on the part of patronising politicians to make gullible and vunerable elderly voters believe it will protect them - much better protection would be afforded by some practical guidance on security and some help with fitting security measures to the homes of the vunerable, rather than advertising the vunerability of an area. :roll::wink:

I have a respect for cold callers, annoying as they can be, its a chance for the small businesses to get in where the big business cannot and Im for supporting local enterprise.

obviously a rogue trader is a rogue trader, but you have no more security going for the big companies that can dissapear with your money than fred bloggs windows.

personally I would not invest lage sums with cold callers, but somone coming around selling 5ltr bottle of el cheapo washing up liquid, or shammy leathers is quaint.

I hate what warringtons become, a strictly coproparte shop window, a clone of every other major town in the area, you walk down any town centre and see the same shops selling the same goods for the same prices.

Boots, JJB, HM Samuel, woolworths, greggs, Macdonalds, aliance an lecester.

its like if your not a big player...get out of our town.

as a result we become a horrible corporate clone town.

no more old horrobins, Mrs wooleys, wakefield bros... just B&Q, WHSmiths and tesco.

like I said before, double yellow the old shopping lanes like "orford lane" "Padgate lane" and "stockton heath" let the corporates develop huge supermarkets with free parking and choke the local businessmen.

I used to love the signs people put in their windows saying "no cold callers" and always wondered who went around selling them :wink:

Might as well cos they'll all be ignored by the more unscrupulous (did I spell that right :? ) cold callers anyway and others too according to the report.

I must admit though that the ones that really anoy me are the endless phone cold callers.

Some are the usual run of the mill things but I get quite a few offering me stair lifts (which really makes me laugh cos I'm only 44), the bit that doesn't amuse me is that some have asked if I have any elderly neighbours or relitives that I think may be interested... like I'm stupid enough to say yes to that.... but some may well be :cry:

Do you get the ones asking if you want a brand new top of the range fitted kitchen at NO cost to yourself?

I gave up trying to figure out how that one works and I just tell them I'd love to..... but unfortunately I have just had a ?40k bespoke kitchen installed (I wish 8) )

Most of the ones I get now are offering me great mortgage deals, credit card consolidation, loans to pay of all my debts etc etc.

I listen to them for a short while and then tell them I don't have a mortgage and my home is paid for, I have no loans or debts and always pay my credit cards off in full at the end of every month :wink:

That really throws them :lol: If only it were true :wink:

It certainly gets rid of them very quickly :wink:

Went through a spell of getting a couple of calls every day which was very annoying but down to a couple a week now if that. :D

I regstered our business number with TSP too and that cut virtually all of the annoying 5+ cold calls we were getting there EVERY DAY :shock: