MSM thought control -

Observer II

I think it's been evident for some time now, that the stories that appear in our newspapers are presented to avoid confirmation of what we actually believe.   The obvious example is the reports on rape and knife crime,  where mention of the ethnicity of the perpetrator is carefully avoided.   But the latest example, is of the Luton Airport car park fire, which they are claiming was started by a diesel car, when in fact it was an EV hybrid. It is now well known that EV batteries are prone to exploding into fire, but the powers that be, need to avoid such bad publicity, when they are selling the idea that we should all buy an EV.   This amounts imo to an Orwellian control of the narrative in our news, designed to brainwash Joe public.   😠

• Downvote 1

4 hours ago, Observer II said:

It was a diesel / EV hybrid,  no surprise the FS are now involved in woke cover ups.    :rolleyes:

Even your favourite Yahoo now admits it wasn't. You are pedalling Fake News from social media I am afraid. The fire service not only said is was diesel they are quoted as saying it wasn't an EV in the Daily Mail and other places including the Independent if I recall correctly. I bet you cannot quote a definitive source.

2 hours ago, Observer II said:

Diesels are probably the least likely to catch fire,  this was an EV battery;  and they are renown for it.   :rolleyes:

Well your assumptions are wrong, there is video of the vehicle abandoned after having two fire extinguishers on it with no success. This was confirmed by another person who tried with no luck to get another extinguisher before leaving but did find two empty extinguishers. The video apparently showed the Car Reg and it was checked against the DVLA data and shown to be registered as a Range Rover Sport SE TDV6 A, which is a diesel only car. The conspiracy is all yours.

There aren’t that many hybrids out there that use diesel, most companies stopped making them several years ago.

It’s a well proven fact that any vehicle using liquid fuel be it diesel or petrol, represents a far greater fire risk than a pure electric vehicle. While it is possible for a battery fire to occur, most of the headline grabbing stories tend to be bikes and scooters where either the battery is damaged or they've used the wrong chargers.  

Do your research and you should find that statistically an ICE vehicle is approximately 20 time more likely to be involved in a fire that a pure EV.

Bill :)

Well, I've watched other cynics question this incident, and the evidence seems to support my view.   Burning diesel will give off a thick black smoke in a fire, the vidio of this incident shows a lighter greyish smoke, with an intense flame surging sideways from under the front passenger seat, precisley the location of the EV battery.  The intensity of the flame and the fact that a fire extinguisher failed to extinguish it, is compatible with the fact that lithium battery fires produce their own oxygen, which feeds the fire and increases it's intensity.   So there's no doubt in my mind, that this was an EV fire,  and the powers that be wish to suppress the idea that EVs are a fire risk, at a time when they want to sell them to the public.   :rolleyes:

• Downvote 1

Social media is awash with self-proclaimed experts saying that it can’t possibly be a diesel fire but look a bit deeper and you’ll find there’s been problems with that particular model of Range Rover that made it prone to catching fire. The company issued a recall but there’s no guarantee that all cars got done. On top of all that, looking at the images, it appears that the cars lights were on during the fire which might indicate that the engine was also running at the time.

Further reading claimed that the exact same model Range Rover was also responsible for a similar fire at the Echo Arena in Liverpool just a few months ago that also destroyed the car park and hundreds of other cars.

No doubt the truth will come out in time.

Bill 😊

9 minutes ago, Observer II said:

There's an EV, I think a Porche, that's now subject to a recall in Australia, due to a liability to catch fire.   While our green Governments are desperate to sell the EV idea to a gullible population,  many factors remain for detering folk from switching to them, such as insurance.     :rolleyes:

The recall is for 231 cars, there are many car recalls in the UK out now, with much bigger volumes of cars, Peugeot has one, incorrectly positioned fuel pipe, which is dangerous 

When it comes to which car is most likely to be involved in a fire look at the figures from the association of motor insurers as they work on hard facts rather than the colour of smoke.

The batteries used in todays cars are vastly safer than in the past, and todays EVs have numerous safeguards built in to make them safe should there be any risk from overheating. You can still find clips on YouTube where someone knocks a nail though a cell and it busts into flame, with modern batteries though that just doesn’t happen.

Bill 😊

I was chatting about the Luton fire last night with a friend who has a relatively new diesel Land Rover. He said that his insurance company had disagreed with his valuation of the vehicle suggesting it was nearly £15k lower than the projected depreciation figures. He believes that this was due to the changes occurring with things like ULEZ, the higher cost of diesel and the general move towards hybrids and EVs causing a glut of new second hand vehicles.

On the fire thing, he said normally, diesel fuel is difficult to ignite, but it’s conceivable that a fire could occur that looks very similar to that of a lithium battery given the extreme pressure the fuel is under. A faulty or damaged injector might spray a high-pressure jet of atomized fuel that would be just as flammable as petrol.

Interesting?

Bill 😊

I’m not suggesting they can’t catch fire Davy, just that according to the statistics they’re nearly 20 times less likely to than an ICE car. I’ve just bought a small hybrid car that uses battery power, but it also has a small 1.5 litre petrol engine. From a fire risk point of view, I suppose it’s double the risk but I’m not unduly worried about it.

Bill 😊

Can't argue with that. i wonder why they don't fit a smaller engine.

my motor has a 500cc engine which is capable of trundling along at motorway speeds, mostly. mind you total weight of it is around 600kg.

but if the petrol engine is only used to charge the battery then why not a smaller engine.

Well, although I call it an invalid carriage, it is a small family car in that it has four doors and isn’t exactly a rocket ship. I suppose the designers have to find a balance between performance and economy to suit the average family and to me this seems a good compromise.

The engine only has three cylinders producing a measly 90 hp but with electric assistance it can get up to motorway speed as quick as most other cars. Then once up to speed, the engine isn’t needed and it literally idles providing just enough power to keep the battery charged. If it wasn’t for the display showing what’s happening, you wouldn’t know when it’s running on battery and when it’s using the engine.

I’ve still only driven a few of hundred miles due to being ill but its showing that nearly 75% of my driving is done on battery and that my average fuel consumption is 65 mpg so I’m quite happy with that.

Bill 😊