Energy

Seems folk must be using fans and humidifiers at the moment, as the grid has had to bring two coal fired power stations on line to cope with the surge.  But it seems unbelievably, that the drop in supply was due to the incapacity of solar farms to cope with the hot weather.  So it seems they don't work when there's no sunshine, but also when there is.  So much for this crazy net-zero nonsense.     :rolleyes:

I’m not sure where you get your info from, but I’ve just checked the National Grid live and they’re not reporting any coal being burnt today. Right now, solar is providing 25.2% of our needs but there’s very little wind so the gas fired stations are working flat out to compensate for the lack of wind.

I monitor the power levels of my mini solar setup every day and I’ve noticed a slight drop off in the last few days due to the high temperatures but it’s not a huge, probably about 5% down from the peak power on a cooler day. The panels are black so they naturally get very hot in full sun but a 5% drop in efficiency can’t be classed as not working.

Even on overcast days, they can still provide good power depending on the thickness of the clouds. I wouldn’t want my life to depend on their output but given its essentially free electricity, I’ll take whatever comes. At the moment, my few little panels are holding my average use to less than 18p per day which isn’t bad for something that’s supposedly not working. 😊

Hi Steve. I’d be interested to hear what you’re getting and whether it’s a DIY setup like mine or if you’ve got a company in to do it for you.

Bill 😊

On the subject of energy and following on the green money-making racket. Does anyone have any idea how much the council makes from all the solar panels on council houses? I reckon given the huge amount I see; it’s got to be the equivalent of several entire solar farms. I can’t find any info on the issue and don’t know how it works in terms of who gets a share of what from the energy generated. If it’s a good idea and working for the council then wouldn’t it make sense for them to be encouraging everyone to do the same rather than keeping it all quiet?

Another thing I can’t understand is when the overall figures are published for the UK’s solar capacity, does that include that generated by all the council houses across the country? I can understand a solar farm being able to report it’s power to the national grid but how would an individual house with solar be able to do the same? My micro solar setup has already contributed nearly half a megawatt to the grid so far this year but I'm the only person that knows that. 🧐

Bill 😊

had an interesting post on faceache yesterday. it asked why don't we put solar panels on car parks.

if you look at the supermarket car parks then most would probably provide enough to run the store and probably a few dozen houses as well. would also provide shade from the sun so that cars would not be like a furnace after you get back to them from shopping.

an extra half floor of them on the top of a multi storey could supply enough to charge a few electric cars as well.

in fact any building with a large flat roof could house a few dozen panels to help provide some energy, especially the public ones.

From an economic point of view it’s a no brainer but for places like supermarkets or in fact any public place, I think liability and planning would be a major issue. It’s ok investing in solar if all the returns go straight into your own pocket but in the case of supermarkets, if it reduced their costs then they’d be expected to reduce their prices.

Bill 😊

or pay the  distributors and farmers a few bob extra.

2.5 kg of spuds for £1,60. they are making a profit on that even after paying the packers, hauliers and farmers.

so how much do they pay the farmers for that amount, not to mention the packagers and distributors of those spuds.

Seems they've discovered a method of carbon capture from the atmosphere, which can be converted into energy production, if so, this sorts out the net zero nonsense in one go.    However, if we take too much CO2 out of the atmosphere, things will start to get cooler, to bring a return to "snowball earth" - yer just can't win.    😑

3 hours ago, Observer II said:

Seems they've discovered a method of carbon capture from the atmosphere, which can be converted into energy production, if so, this sorts out the net zero nonsense in one go.    However, if we take too much CO2 out of the atmosphere, things will start to get cooler, to bring a return to "snowball earth" - yer just can't win.    😑

Citation please, let me say I'm sceptical because of the second law of thermodynamics!

My perpetual motion machine worked on the same principle, or rather it didn’t 😊

I’ve just read on the news that the old Fiddles ferry power station site is going to be used for mass energy storage and it’s possibly going to be the biggest in the country. The report didn’t mention what kind of storage is being planned but it’s likely to be bulk batteries. This is good news but in the longer term I believe the bulk of stored power to the grid will come from electric car users selling any excess charge back which could eventually make this facility redundant.

Bill 😊

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone 

Sorry not been back for awhile,still having health problems..

Bill had my Solar Mini panels up and running, they are ok and produce a bit of Power,not a great amount but enough to run my fridge and TV during the day..will take about 3 years before its paid for itself

My son Set them up and it wasnt difficult at all..

Steve, Perhaps you could tell us, how Germany is managing at the moment ?   You've scrapped coal, nuclear and the Yanks blew up your gas pipeline, so you now have to pay over the odds for LPG from the Yanks.  The most powerfull state in the EU now being reduced to the sick man of Europe, through de-industrialisation, thanks to the Greens.  😢

Obs the fuel prices are dropping again, the gas Reserve Tanks are 94% full and there is enough Electric too however i do believe that quite a bit Electric is being imported.

All in all i cant say im worried about shortages of Gas or Electic not yet anyway.

The Germans have been good and have reduced their Power usage over the last 18 months..

The MSM describe them as "far right", as they do elsewhere; but they are basically translating the thoughts of ordinary folk, which the woke MSM describe a far right in any case.  The woke elite are basically at war with the majority of their populations,  and in Europe the majority are catching on.    :rolleyes:

AFD Are telling the people what they want to hear,i took part in a "Wahlomat" where you answer a series of Political questions and they give you a Suggestion of which Political Party is most Suiten to you, mine was AFD, however a certain Political Party done the same in 1933 and we all know what happened there, but the People are so fed up that the AFD are gaining Support going from 4% to nearly 17% and gaining..

The next Elections will be interesting as i do believe that the AFD Will be one of the strongest Partys.