Electricity Price Confusion

Bill

Does anyone here understand Ofgem’s method of informing us of changes in the cost of our electricity?

Giving us a figure of what it’ll cost the average household means nothing to me especially since they never say how much MR & Mrs Average were paying before.

If the average price of a loaf of bread was £1.50 and it went up to £1.60 I’d understand that but giving a figure of annual bread consumption of an average family is meaningless.

Bill 😊

I keep hearing politicians and TV pundits blaming our current energy price hikes on "the Ukraine War", when the cause is actually our reaction to that war in the form of economic sanctions that we have imposed on Russia.   Plus of course, the nonsensical commitment to net zero ideology,  from the likes of "just stop oil" protesters, which stop us from utilising our own N/SEA oil and gas, and coal, to hold the line until we can get viable alternatives up and running.     😠

Bill, I will be looking at the Price Cap data later. What would you like to know? I will be working out the Gas prices per kWh and the daily standing charges for Mersey and North Wales i.e. the old Manweb area, Please tell me if you are in the Norweb supply area as it makes a difference. You are right the cap is meaningless as they keep changing where the cap is anyway,

My energy supplier has been in touch to say that the prices will drop but at present they don't know by how much but will let me know when they know i presume.

However it seems very convenient timing.

Just when the warmest weather gets here and people are not using any central heating and probably either having salads or barbies so no cooking.

lighter nights so no need to turn the lights on until almost time for bed.

no doubt there will be an increase come the ends of november to counter the increase in energy usage or am i overly suspicious.....:ph34r:

I’m not sure what area we come under, but I would have thought that Warrington as a whole would all be in the same area. I’m with Shell energy and like most I’m on a standard variable tariff for which I pay about 36 pence per unit of electricity. I’m not really bothered about the gas as there’s little I can do to affect that. Don’t go to any great trouble on my behalf as my bills are almost non-existent at the moment.

I think the unit price will continue to drop and shouldn’t be affected by the time of year. Yes we’ll all use more as it gets colder but the price per unit should remain the same unless we have something like another invasion. 😕

Bill 😊

Warrington is mostly in Mersey and North Wales but the East is in North West for tariff, based on a look up you are in Manweb. The price on standard credit terms on standard variable tariff is currently capped by the Gov Energy Price Guarantee at 35.75p per kWh excl VAT at 5%.

The energy price guarantee will not control prices from 1st July

The cap from Ofgem for the same credit terms appears to be 29.6p per kWh excl VAT at 5% from July 1st. 

4 hours ago, Observer II said:

I keep hearing politicians and TV pundits blaming our current energy price hikes on "the Ukraine War", when the cause is actually our reaction to that war in the form of economic sanctions that we have imposed on Russia.   

Well, if the imperialistic and expansionist Russia hadn't started the war we wouldn't have needed to react would we? 

• Upvote 1

😄   Quite the opposite  Imperialist and expansionist US started the ball rolling with their CIA engineered coup in 2014 overturning the legitimate Gov with the help of a Nazi Militia,   Since when is an act of acute self harm like these sanctions become a rational response, now proven not to be working, the Russian economy survives, their Military and Industrial supplies are greater than ever and they are winning, while we suffer.   :rolleyes:

Obs, well you have earned your rouble and repeated the Kremlin line again.

A more likely explanation is this.  A sovereign, free, democratic, western orientated and successful Ukraine would have, in any case, led to the collapse of the Muscovite regime. As by its example the populace of the Russian Federation would have realised that they were being exploited and conned by their leaders. The Kremlin understood and feared this and that is why Moscow had to crush Ukraine, while it believed it still could. 

😄   "Free democratic Ukraine" ?   Zelenski and his Nazi militia, were imposed by the 2014 coup, and he banned all likely opposition Parties, and now bans an election !  Far from success, the Ukraine is being battered back into the stone age by this US stimulated war, and has lost at least 300,00 young men as a result, with over 10 million refugees fleeing into Europe and unlikely to return.   The Russian economy has survived the attack by the West and they now move on to strengthen it by an alternate BRICS trading block. Meanwhile we're witnessing the collapse of the US  Empire, with Europe in self destruction mode in the name of net-zero, EG. Germany, the most industrialised and therfore most reliant on energy, has closed down it's nuclear reactors, given up it's coal, and thanks to the Yanks, had it's Russian gas supplies severed.  They can't switch to a war economy to replace the weapons they've given to Ukraine, while Russia produces all the arms it requires.   So basically, an absolute cock up by our clueless politicians, who refused to face reality and act rationally.   :rolleyes:

The US politicians have things arranged well -  they get funded by their donors, in the miltary-industrial complex, in return for starting proxy wars in order to purchase weapons supply.  Any loose $billions in cash or equipment is then sent to Ukraine, where Zelinski and Co, skim off the top and top up their nest eggs in Cypriot Banks, ready for their inevitable exile.  Meanwhile, the US politicians plan for their next intervention in Taiwan.   Despite the sloppy journalism in our MSM indoctrinating public opinion, the penny is starting to drop with Western populations.     :rolleyes: