Not for me!

Bill

The film Anything Everywhere All the Time, as predicted swept the board at last nights Oscar’s ceremony winning seven awards.

The wife and myself watched it after it was tipped to be so good, but twenty minutes into the film, we both agreed that we just didn’t get what it was all about or where it was going. Aside from that, it was too hard to hear what was being said because when they did speak English it was all too fast to make out with the accents and the subtitles didn’t help much either.

So that’s another one that’s joined the ever growing list of similar naff films building up on Netflix as “Continue watching?” 

Bill 😊

I've thought for some time that the quality of films nowadays is pathetically low,  due to various trends that creep into society from time to time, such as wokism, hero culture, fantasy etc.   So prefer older, tried and tested genres.   However, despite bolstering my TV sound system and aquiring earing aids, my biggest beef, is with the sound quality of progs;  where music and background sounds are very high, and dialogue is inaudible.   So, I caught this pod by a sound engineer, who basically said that this is a consequence of the sound editing, where the sound differentials are basically enhanced, like music or background noise for dramatic effect, leaving dialogue at a whisper.  So a no win situation.   :unsure:

i know the problem obs. i am constantly having to turn the volume up or down depending on what is on at the time.

i normally have mine set between sixteen and eighteen which is loud enough to hear but not too loud that the hospital complains about the noise.(not sure what the highest sound number is but probably somewhere around the mid to high 30's)

my smart tv recieved an update the other week and since then everytime i turn it on it asks for the country then primary region, secondary region and even a tertiary region. after which it then informs me that i have a usb device plugged in. by this time i have forgotten what i was turning it on to watch. it has also developed a lag when turning off sort of. when i turn it on it registers the hdmi connection to my pc which turns the pc screen black for a second or two and make a perdunk noise, always did that but now instead of the perdunk noise and black screen when i turn it off being delayed by a few seconds it can be up to ten minutes after i have turned it off.

talking pictures is a good channel for old movies and shows for that matter.

the last thing i watched on netflix was the series wednesday. it was one of those that people were raving about so i gave it a whirl expecting to turn off before the first episode had finished and ended up hooked.

7 hours ago, Evil Sid said:

i know the problem obs. i am constantly having to turn the volume up or down depending on what is on at the time.

i normally have mine set between sixteen and eighteen which is loud enough to hear but not too loud that the hospital complains about the noise.(not sure what the highest sound number is but probably somewhere around the mid to high 30's)

my smart tv recieved an update the other week and since then everytime i turn it on it asks for the country then primary region, secondary region and even a tertiary region. after which it then informs me that i have a usb device plugged in. by this time i have forgotten what i was turning it on to watch. it has also developed a lag when turning off sort of. when i turn it on it registers the hdmi connection to my pc which turns the pc screen black for a second or two and make a perdunk noise, always did that but now instead of the perdunk noise and black screen when i turn it off being delayed by a few seconds it can be up to ten minutes after i have turned it off.

talking pictures is a good channel for old movies and shows for that matter.

the last thing i watched on netflix was the series wednesday. it was one of those that people were raving about so i gave it a whirl expecting to turn off before the first episode had finished and ended up hooked.

Sid,

The questions relate to a retune of Freeview as I am sure you know. It sound as if the update or firmware didn't do so well and a manual install is needed. The usual problem, smart devices in the real world turn out to be thick!

would that i could do a manual update but "computer say no".

it says that the software and firmware are up to date and that is it can not find anything on the net to help.

every page i have read says the same thing. go to the manufacturers support section. download the update to a memory stick. insert sick into relevant orifice on the tv and hey presto manual install completed succesfully.

the manufacturers website does not seem to have a support section that will let me download a separate update file, nor does it have a link to contact support or the manufacturers to ask about it.

no doubt at some future date a new update will sort it out, it is more of a niggle than an annoyance and i don't use the tv a lot apart from a couple of hours in the evening.

The Freeview on my Panasonic TV was awful, constantly telling me to update and retune. The menu to do that was probably written by a five-year-old and doing it via the sluggish remote took forever. Eventually I got a separate Freeview recorder box from PC World and that feeds into the TV. It’s more up to date so maybe it doesn’t need the updates, just a couple of retunes each year as the channels gets moved around.  

Oh, I forgot to mention. The recorder box is also a Panasonic so it all works from the same remote. Can’t stand it when we go to visit the kids and they have four remotes just to watch some telly.

Bill 😊

mrs sid already has done, driven me nuts that is.

been through the route of a full set and retune three times.

once when it updated and then twice more as i only had about three channels, and two of those were radio.

the thing that puzzles me is the fact hat it is not a consistent thing., sometimes it will turn on three times in a row without asking, then suddenly the next half a dozen times it does ask.

it is not that old either less than two years i think. from what i have read on the web it seems to be a common thing with this set and the latest update.

still nullus anxietas,

You’re not looking at a signal issue are you, because if your arial or connection is flaky then all sorts of bad things happen, not least almost no channels available. When it does work, I assume you get all the channels and if so that eliminates the antenna.

I also assume you just have a Freeview TV and that’s what’s playing up? Rather that replace the TV, a cheaper option might be to use a separate Freeview decoder for around £20 or see if you could borrow one to see if it solves the problem.

Bill 😊

yes bill it is the freeview one but it is not the arial as this has only been happening or not after the latest update to the tv.

no problems with it yesterday at all. all the channels are there however many that is. it is just the inconsistency of the thing that irks.

a bit like that rattle in the car that goes away when you take it into the garage for investigation and reappears the moment you leave.

Yep, I know exactly what you mean.

We got the external box mainly so that we could record programs but it got us away from Panasonic’s naff so called smart TV operating system that like yours, was always going wrong. The box does all the clever stuff like rewind live tv and it outputs on HTMI so the telly only functions as a monitor.

We’ve had the recorder box for six years and I’ve only had to reset it twice when it got it’s bits and bytes in a twist. Our only gripe is that is that it can only record two channels at the same time which is ok but tricky when the program times overlap each other.

Bill 😊