how will you get home tonight ???????????

the taxi team

Sorry we do not allow links to other forums.. you are welcome to cut and paste relevant items..

Thanks

Steve (Admin)

no probs

plans for Warrington borough council to place a prohibition of traffic order on lower bridge st and revoke major night time ranks from a soon as 19th of June 2008 were advertised in last weeks local paper the news came as a shock to the hackney trade to say the least as no consultation has taken place. the council advertised to revoke these ranks bridge st west side fronting propetys112-120, east side fronting properties 83-87 and east side fronting property 115 and then reinstated them as part time ranks operating from 05:00 am until 23:00 Friday - Monday these ranks are the main night time ranks in the town centre situated in the same street as the majority of the bars and clubs the council reasons for removing these ranks are on health and safety grounds as they fear the public are at risk from being run over by passing cars not the taxis however the problem is mainly caused by boy racers who use the street to parade there modified cars and occasionally as a drag strip yet the police have never seemed to be bothered about it I have never seen a policeman pull the cars over and tell the young lads off they seem to engaged in leaning on a fence at the top of lower bridge street chatting away and eyeing up the talent. the council propose to place taxi ranks about 200-300 yards around the corner out of the way on academy way so the towns 160 odd hackney carriages have a place to stand not to say the public will have to walk that far as there is a local private hire office on the corner of bridge st and academy who will be the biggest benefactor and now get first dibs on fares leaving the hackneys playing poor cousins hoping for scrapes to be thrown there way private concerns put ahead of public transport unbelievable and after the council has released of the last few years over 50 new wav hackney licences with a nice set of conditions to ensure you have to borrow quite a bit from the bank or maybe secure a loan against your home such as wav must not be rear loading, wav must be no older than 3 years on plating, wav must carry at least 5 passengers leaving the drivers with the choice of e7 and tx mainly and also leaving them from ?18,000 - ?34,000 in debt and now the council has decided to pull the rug from underneath them and take away the ranks that allow them make the money to pay for these vehicles and also yeah! Feed there families and pay the bills! To say the hackney trade in Warrington are angry is a major understatement oh and they also want to release another 30 hackney licenses later in the year pure lunacy!!!!!

personally I don't like the idea of having to paying a tenner for the privilage of being taken home in car like the Sierra or 12 year old Astras that are around this town. A nights worth of work will earn the driver more than his car is worth!

EVERY car should be a black cab or no more than 5 years old. If some can do it they all should

Why not a Municipal Taxi Service? :? Primrose and blue Taxis, available 24/7, able to pick up anywhere, shared use, and cheap. :wink: Add to this a National Car Rental Scheme, pick up the car at home and leave at your destination - again, cheap - subsidised from private car revenues. :shock: No need to bovver owning a car then?! :wink:

I think the main ones are:

Nissan - Sunderland

Toyota - Derby

Honda - Swindon

Jaguar - West Bromwich & Halewood

Land Rover - Halewood & Solihull

Rolls Royce - Goodwood

Bentley - Crewe

Vauxhall - Ellesmere Port

Aston Martin - Gaydon

And I think the only British owned one of any note is

Morgan - Malvern

Oh, almost forgot, we do have 2 black cab taxi companies:

LTI in Coventry & Metrocab in Tamworth

We are as a nation pretty good at building racing cars though :wink:

We were a Nation pretty capable of building and inventing all sorts; especially when it was needed to win WW2; staying "ahead of the game" in terms of technical innovation is the key to future economic success in a competative world. :roll: Alas, the Nation State doesn't seem to control or invest in such things anymore, but allows global capitalism to call the shots. :cry::wink:

We were a Nation pretty capable of building and inventing all sorts; especially when it was needed to win WW2; staying "ahead of the game" in terms of technical innovation is the key to future economic success in a competative world. :roll: Alas, the Nation State doesn't seem to control or invest in such things anymore, but allows global capitalism to call the shots. :cry::wink:
If you're trying to suggest that nationalised industries were the key to our former creative successes, you're very mislead.

And let's not forget this country's nationalised car industry produced some of the biggest heaps ever to drive on the road.

State ownership wasn't my point, although certain "essential" aspects of our economy should (in my opinion) be publically owned. My point was about retaining some form of National economic integrity, thus allowing wider self-sufficiency and greater control of our destiny; something we faced acutely in WW2. An example of a home grown industry, with an excellent global reputation would be Rolls Royce (which I believe was Nationalised by the Tories!). :wink: We have now reached the pathetic situation where most of our industry and even utilities are foreign owned. :roll:

Sooooo... How will you all get home tonight then ? Wasn't that the original question ? :wink::P

I've been out twice tonight and brought myself safely home both times :D

First was in our Honda which I thought was made in Japan :shock:

and second time was in our Toyota which was imported from Japan but according to Paul T's are made in Derby :shock:

Now I'm confused :P