Economic turbulence....

ninearches

Just a thought ,but are a lot of Britain's economic problems caused by the fact that Chancellors of the Exchequer can  be changed every time there is an election or a Cabinet reshuffle ? Each tinkering with the economy in ways formed by their own opinions.

I can't help wondering if maybe the Exchequer would be better run by an all party committee of MPs ,economists ,bankers etc who would carry over throughout the life of a Parliament & from one government to the next.

As we've learned, to a large extent, economic woes can be caused by international factors IE dependency on foreign supplies of energy etc.  imo, the goal should be, and should have been,  a drive for national self sufficiency in all things possible; but that requires long term planning, which is impossible in a system that has elections every 5 years, as no politician can see beyond the next election.  :unsure:

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, ninearches said:

I can't help wondering if maybe the Exchequer would be better run by an all party committee of MPs ,economists ,bankers etc who would carry over throughout the life of a Parliament & from one government to the next.

but who would you trust  on the committee.

mp's who you have stated are looking no further than the next election, economists who each have their own pet theory on how the country should be run to make money, bankers who seem to be out to get as big a retirement package they can regardless of how well they perform or not.

To be honest, in my opinion, the chancellor is just the mouthpiece for the department. It is the backroom boys who set the budget based on instruction from the government. The chancellor then oversees the process and then has the responsibility of carrying the can when it goes pear shaped.

Makes me think of that "committee" set up to oversee the pandemic response (SAGE);  who were all "professional scientist" and would deliver purely "scientific" advice;   but we discovered a variety of "opinions" from the scientists; from the strict draconian lockdowns to the totally open herd immunity hypothesis.   Perhaps, if we avoid WW3, we'll move on to allowing AI computers to run our affairs, and risk them taking over !        :unsure:

Another one bites the dust but will the new one be any better?

The problem as I see it is that even within their own political parties, MPs all have differing opinions so whatever route’s chosen, there will always be criticism and dissent on top of that from the opposition. This gets picked up and magnified by the media which then sends out the message to the world that the government is weak and doesn’t know what it’s doing, and we all know where that takes us.

Bring back Boris and Rishi I say because despite some personal mistakes, as politicians, they both commanded a great deal of respect both at home and on the world stage.

Bill 😊

• Upvote 1

The BBC and Sky have decided they run the country and they want to pick the Government and their policies. They got rid of Boris so he can't come back. The pound was being shorted by the hedgies well before the mini budget and the Interest rates are down to the BoE. The Broadcasters are very selective in what news they report to support the issues they campaign on. The gas price on international markets is still falling, it fell 7% today, there is no point asked if anyone knew. It is not limited to the clear anti-tory position. It applies to the Climate, Green everything, Immigration, identity politics and diversity as well. The review of the BBC charter is needed yesterday.

I agree, objective journalism is now extinct, what we have is woke liberal opinion, with any contradictory facts hidden from view - such as - the wave of anti EU and NATO demonstrations throughout Europe; details of the extent of illegal immigration and related crime, the extent of Truss's involvement with the Macron greater EU plan, which will be helped by the new Chancellor.   Politics are being conditioned by the MSM concentration on the gossip in the Westminster bubble, rather than the opinions of the Plebs.   😠