Virgin tv fault

Latchford Locks

Yesterday I lost all my channels just nothing worked I phoned customer service to receive a curt message " sorry all our operators are busy right now please try again later" and then the line goes dead.I tried several times during the day and always the same.

Ok these things happen ; so I went on virgin web site it too was down,

In fact the only information I could get was from Down Detector an independent site.

https://downdetector.co.uk/

This informed me the outage was widespread.

Now in life these things happen my gripe is the total lack of any information from virgin. They have my email and are quick enough to send me "Special Offers" and my bills but absolutely nothing to let me know what was going on or when it would be fixed THATS what is getting my goat and when my contract ends shortly they will be hearing my opinions !!

Did anyone else suffer this problem?.

Incidentally still no communication about the problem even though everything is now working again

Very poor virgin very poor 😒👎

• Upvote 1

Virgin Media affected by national TV outage - RXTV info

Organising telling everyone without knowing what to tell them is a recipe for disaster. It is the third TV distribution disaster of late affecting freeview then virgin. They seem to be a bit careless these days. I suspect that the over-centralisation permitted by digital Television is partly to blame.

18 minutes ago, Confused52 said:

Virgin Media affected by national TV outage - RXTV info

Organising telling everyone without knowing what to tell them is a recipe for disaster. It is the third TV distribution disaster of late affecting freeview then virgin. They seem to be a bit careless these days. I suspect that the over-centralisation permitted by digital Television is partly to blame.

I'm not really complaining about the fault; these things happen now and then.

It's the lack of any information yesterday or today that galls me

RXTV another independent organisation reports that .....

"Virgin media says it's sorry for the inconvenience caused, it hasn't yet made any statements on compensation for customers"

image.jpeg.705511907bf0f6e42854d2fa9076293b.jpeg

• 2 months later...

I’m going away at the weekend, and I needed to notify Virgin so I could use my phone in the states. I logged into my Virgin account and clicked on the relevant button only to find that that section wasn’t accepting my password. It gave the option to change it, but the question was why wasn’t it working if  I’d just used it to log into my account?

I rang the help desk and explained that there seemed to be a problem with my password. The Indian sounding woman said she needed to first ask some security questions and began asking for the value of certain characters in my password. I told her that wouldn’t work and that was the reason I was ringing her. After giving up trying to explain the futility of doing this, I gave her the info only to be told that the characters didn’t match and therefor I’d failed security.  and there was nothing more that could be done.

After all attempts to reason with her failed I asked for her supervisor who did little more than repeat word for word what the first woman said. She did however ask how much my last bill was which was great because it’s always £31 a month, but even that failed. After nearly an hour on the phone and with steam coming out of my ears, I told them to forget it because it’d be easier to cancel my phone and move to another provider.

Once I’d settled down though, I decided to ring Virgin’s customer complaints, but this time got a Scottish bloke in a UK call centre. He soon had the problem sorted and explained that although it’s called Virgin Mobile and I pay for it as part of my overall Virgin package, the sim card used was O2 and that had different log in requirements. He also explained that their help desk staff can’t see anything about my Virgin account details and as far as they were concerned, they only knew I had a phone for which they billed Virgin £5 rather than the overall £31 that I'd said.

Virgin has a great package but their customer service with its overseas call centres is woeful.  

Rant over!

Bill 😊

Virgin ?!! I had an email from them last month advising that as my bill was going up i could jump ship in the middle of February or alter my contract accordingly. I phoned Virgin on a Sunday & was put through to an Indian sounding gent ,the call quality also was very poor. After several minutes talking to the chap my understanding was that i had agreed, from the middle of February, to reduce my contract with virgin to phone & broadband & use my tv freeview system. The following day i was bemused to find that my house phone had been disconnected straight away & on the Tuesday all but 3 tv channels had been blocked on my virgin box despite my contract still having 5 weeks to go. On contacting virgin ,the reply was that it would take at least 3 days to reconnect my phone & previous tv package so I gave notice there & then to disconnect me altogether from 16th Feb. The phone & tv have never been reinstated & i have arranged for a new internet provider from next week. A horrible company with poor contact facilities.

Yes, they’re a waste of space when it comes to customer service Davy. All they’re concerned about is how many subscribers they can tempt in with special deals then bump the prices up and hope some people can’t be bothered changing. To be fair though, they’re all playing this stupid game of snakes and ladders. I’ve been with Virgin since it was Nynex a million years ago but left them a while back when I had a similar frustrating issue again with their customer services. I went with Sky for 12 months which was ok until they tried to double the price, right at a time when Virgin were offering me an even better 18-month deal at less than half the rate of Sky.

Several years back I had a similar issue with my work when for some reason I wasn’t sure if we had an overdraft facility or not. I rang the bank and explained the problem and the very first security challenge was “Do you have an overdraft facility on this account?” They either don’t listen or don’t understand and anything that then falls outside their pre-set script can’t be dealt with. A good automated system could probably worked better for me better today but it’s probably cheaper to use overseas staff working for pennies and that way they can at least call it personal service.

Bill 😊

• Upvote 1

i no longer have a virgin mobile number. it was on a pay as you go and virgin decided that they would no longer provide that when they switched to O2.

the option i had was to transfer to a monthly contract or switch providers, most of whom want you to go on a monthly contract. I decided not to bother with the result that my virgin number is now defunct.

not bothered about that as the only reason i had it in the first place was that calls from the virgin landline to a virgin mobile were free and mrs sid was racking up huge bills calling my orange mobile number, which i still have by the way.

still waiting for them to get round to moving the landline over to router that they said would be happening.

will be fun in september though as my current contract ends. will be going to minimum tv package and probably getting rid of sky sports. will probably keep the landline but go to the minimum  on that, very rarely use it apart from the odd local call.

Get plenty of automated calls though about the charge of (insert amount) an my amazon account (which i don't have one of) and the usual "DAVE" from microsoft/virgin/bt about my internet connection.

they get flummoxed these days as i have started asking for the seventh ninth and fourth digit of the twelve digit security password supplied to them.

Te reason i have pay as you go is that the amount of use my mobile gets, even during the bowling season, does not warrant me being on a monthly contract. If i put £10.00 per quarter on my mobile at the end of a year i would still have about £20.00 credit on it.

• Haha 1

On 2/7/2022 at 4:17 PM, Bill said:

I’m going away at the weekend, and I needed to notify Virgin so I could use my phone in the states. I logged into my Virgin account and clicked on the relevant button only to find that that section wasn’t accepting my password. It gave the option to change it, but the question was why wasn’t it working if  I’d just used it to log into my account?

I rang the help desk and explained that there seemed to be a problem with my password. The Indian sounding woman said she needed to first ask some security questions and began asking for the value of certain characters in my password. I told her that wouldn’t work and that was the reason I was ringing her. After giving up trying to explain the futility of doing this, I gave her the info only to be told that the characters didn’t match and therefor I’d failed security.  and there was nothing more that could be done.

After all attempts to reason with her failed I asked for her supervisor who did little more than repeat word for word what the first woman said. She did however ask how much my last bill was which was great because it’s always £31 a month, but even that failed. After nearly an hour on the phone and with steam coming out of my ears, I told them to forget it because it’d be easier to cancel my phone and move to another provider.

Once I’d settled down though, I decided to ring Virgin’s customer complaints, but this time got a Scottish bloke in a UK call centre. He soon had the problem sorted and explained that although it’s called Virgin Mobile and I pay for it as part of my overall Virgin package, the sim card used was O2 and that had different log in requirements. He also explained that their help desk staff can’t see anything about my Virgin account details and as far as they were concerned, they only knew I had a phone for which they billed Virgin £5 rather than the overall £31 that I'd said.

Virgin has a great package but their customer service with its overseas call centres is woeful.  

Rant over!

Bill 😊

Not a rant Bill but a very fair idea of what is going on at the moment at virgin.

I tried to cancel Netflix (on my virgin account) but was told that I had to do it via netflix own site as virgin only take my money it's netflix who actually are my provider Ehhhh ????

And so guess what ?  I went on netflix website to cancel but it didn't recognise my password well they wouldn't as it is my virgin password..

But before I burst a blood vessel I just contacted virgin again to explain my predicament and they said I should talk to a netflix operator and then said they would connect me " Now " oh great I thought a light is in sight Noooooooooo the line then just went dead  !!

With that ; for the sake of my sanity I just gave up.

I sometimes suspect a conspiracy to stop folk from actually cancelling the damn thing.🤕

See the source image

In a way I feel sorry for the people they employ answering this type of call. The most stupid person in the world wouldn’t ask the security question “Do you have an overdraft?” when I’d just told them that’s what I’m calling to find out. It makes me think that somehow, they’re scared to death about losing their job if they deviate from the fixed procedures.

There was an interesting report on the RT channel about this type of work where the poorest of people attempt to supplement their income working remotely online for large companies. Overall, there are millions doing this despite earning peanuts and having zero rights. RT interviewed a top Canadian home worker who indirectly worked for Google over forty hours a week for less than £50 but when the interviewer tried to do the same, she made just 10 pence in two hours. Absolutely shocking.

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/ghostworkers

Bill 😊