Trade Deals ?

Can't say I follow the logic in all these trade deals we seems to aspire to. other than creating markets for some of our products like cars.  But what's the point of transporting meat half way round the world, when we have  farmers here producing it ?    Even if food standards are maintained, it all boils down to how cheap imported goods are; so the ultimate arbiter will be the shopper. If we recall, we sold out to Japanese imports in the 60's, I hope shoppers won't make the same mistakes again - buy British.      :unsure:

Alas, the pre-EU scenario was of a Commonwealth based on an historic symbiosis of trade - the UK manufactured products in exchange for mainly farmed produce;  that's why I voted against joining the first time.  At the end of the day, the solution lies with the customer, they can apply National loyalty or just go for the cheapest - unfortunately, cynicism would indicate the latter will apply.   Such a buy you own concept isn't fantasy, as the Germans (out of habit) have generally stayed loyal to their own produce, which of course supports their economic strength.  :unsure:

22 minutes ago, Observer II said:

Alas, the pre-EU scenario was of a Commonwealth based on an historic symbiosis of trade - the UK manufactured products in exchange for mainly farmed produce;  that's why I voted against joining the first time.  At the end of the day, the solution lies with the customer, they can apply National loyalty or just go for the cheapest - unfortunately, cynicism would indicate the latter will apply.   Such a buy you own concept isn't fantasy, as the Germans (out of habit) have generally stayed loyal to their own produce, which of course supports their economic strength.  :unsure:

It's finding something homemade these days, that hot water bottle for example the made in China was virtually illegible 

For British goods we should have prominent stickers on the packaging Image result for Made in Britain Logo. Size: 92 x 98. Source: www.luxigraze.co.uk

It's a start and I'm sure many folk would then buy

In theory we should be able to compete when the cost of transport and eco factors are considered and I reckon people would even be prepared to pay a just a tiny bit more if they could clearly see something was produced here rather than the other side of the world. But these days there just doesn’t seem to be any national drive to promote UK products like there was in the past.

When I was manufacturing, all my products didn’t just say made in the UK in the small print, it was made in Great Britain, and they all contained an image of our flag. It was the same with my advertising and it didn’t cost a penny more to do it. I could maybe understand that while we were in the EU, promotion by national identity may have been looked down upon but we’re supposedly free of anything like that now so bring it all back, it’s just printers ink for goodness sake!

Bill 😊