Politics or Plague ?

Observer II

I wonder if the latest chaos at the channel ports is over genuine health concerns or deliberately intended to influence the Brexit negotiations ?      The new Covid variant has already been identified in Italy, so the intent of the EU countries to block travel from the UK would appear suspect in health terms.   The EU is now on the back foot in the Brexit saga and it would seem reasonable to assume that this blockade is being used as a last ditch attempt to deter the UK from a "no deal" Brexit ?       😷

• Upvote 1

Macron initially saw it as an opportunity to punish the evil Brits, then it dawned on him that French and other EU nationals were being stopped in greater numbers so has had to try and save face somehow. It's frightening how the global nature of the pandemic is forgotten by people with an agenda leading to finger pointing.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Davy51 said:

Perhaps HM forces would be better used opening the French border than handing out covid tests.

The real scandal is the number of lorry drivers being forced to camp out at Dover in inadequate conditions.

I believe that there were no toilet or washing facilities for the drivers.That is unforgivable.I thought these bottlenecks had already been looked at months ago and plans put in place,it seems not.

I know most international drivers carry good supplies of water for at least a couple of days & many carry food with them ,to the point of having on board fridges but they also usually know where they will be stopping for the night for ablutions etc ,which has not been possible for all these drivers. No doubt the fields next to the motorway have been well visited.

Don’t walk on the grass at the side of the motorway is the advice then.

I can’t see this as being anything to do with Brexit negotiations because it’s a global issue with over eighty counties imposing restrictions on us and caused by a virus that we didn’t seek to create (unless you’re a bonkers Brexit conspiracy theorist).

Good to see they’re bringing the test to the drivers now and getting the army involved, because for a while last night, they were telling then to go to Maidstone or Canterbury. Talk about taking the mountain to Mohammed.

Another thing. It’s been clear to me from the outset that the only practical way we’d get things sorted was to use the lateral flow tests, and yet the government did bugger all until Macron accepted this. They could have anticipated this and so could have been loading the truck last night.

Edit. I’ve just watched the 5pm news and I can’t believe they still haven’t even begun to sort this out. The testing kits that they must have known would be needed, didn’t arrive in Dover until 3.30 this afternoon and they’re testing drivers at Manston who then can’t get to Dover.

Makes me ashamed to be British, but at least any brewery owner who’s thinking of having a do now knows who to organise it for them.

Bill 😊