Can we all be positive about Warrington - and support our local independent businesses?

Gary

Even national radio recognises how well we are fighting to survive on the high street in Warrington.

Any chance we can all try and be positive and support the town where we live and/or work?

A glass half full always feel better than one half empty!

https://www.warrington-worldwide.co.uk/2019/09/28/eat-your-heart-out-london-warrington-clearly-the-place-to-be/

Since finishing work I enjoy wandering round town and window shopping.

But these days Golden Square is really the main destination,I just got sick and tired of cyclist flying around on pavements oblivious to any safety/courtesy issues elsewhere and guess it's only time before someone is seriously injured. 

Also town is becoming smaller in area since three quarters of Bridge St is either derelict or a pub/takeaway/charity shop or hair/finger nail shops.

Golden Square lost M&S and with it apart from Iceland the only good quality food and drink availability on offer.

GS is well patrolled and is clean and safe.But I worry that without M&S plus BHS it will encourage shoppers to look further afield.

The New Market is a chance for more varied shopping if it is fully occupied and well patrolled and clean.

One suggestion for the new market would be the provision of a newsagent/post office which I feel would be a bonus not available in the current premises.

12 hours ago, Latchford Locks said:

Since finishing work I enjoy wandering round town and window shopping.

But these days Golden Square is really the main destination,I just got sick and tired of cyclist flying around on pavements oblivious to any safety/courtesy issues elsewhere and guess it's only time before someone is seriously injured. 

Also town is becoming smaller in area since three quarters of Bridge St is either derelict or a pub/takeaway/charity shop or hair/finger nail shops.

Golden Square lost M&S and with it apart from Iceland the only good quality food and drink availability on offer.

GS is well patrolled and is clean and safe.But I worry that without M&S plus BHS it will encourage shoppers to look further afield.

The New Market is a chance for more varied shopping if it is fully occupied and well patrolled and clean.

One suggestion for the new market would be the provision of a newsagent/post office which I feel would be a bonus not available in the current premises.

You should really look into the Food shop opposite what used to be the M & S shop. Although a Polish shop they have some really good products including reasonable priced fresh meat, really nice take 00away hot dogs and coffee. Their fresh fruit and veg isn't so good and is quite expensive. They do have a lot off non Polish shoppers a lot of people come in to buy alcohol from them. 

On 9/28/2019 at 10:04 PM, asperity said:

You might want to get your sub-editor to cast his eye over the title of this topic Gary 🤔.

I do use Golden Square and the Cockhedge for odds and sods but I'm not a big shopper.

I had to read it five times again before I spotted it - that is the problem when you read when you think you have typed!

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Milky said:

You should really look into the Food shop opposite what used to be the M & S shop. Although a Polish shop they have some really good products including reasonable priced fresh meat, really nice take 00away hot dogs and coffee. Their fresh fruit and veg isn't so good and is quite expensive. They do have a lot off non Polish shoppers a lot of people come in to buy alcohol from them. 

Next time you are in tell them they need to be better with their advertising locally ! :)

• Haha 1

• Gary changed the title to Can we all be positive about Warrington - and support our local independent businesses?
On 9/30/2019 at 1:23 AM, Milky said:

I've been in there a few times over the past months and they have some really nice food stuffs in there and things you don't tend to see in the likes of Asda, Morrisons, Tesco and other well knows shops.  I like the way their shelf edge labels have the product in English too so you know what it is.  I do wonder how they will survive though as I was the only person in the first time I went but second time there was another lady shopping in there too.  Nice friendly staff though  :D 

On 10/13/2019 at 12:02 AM, Dizzy said:

Why not Gary?   Explain..... 

Because not as many people visit Warrington town centre from Stockton Heath so if they were going to advertise they would be better placed marketing it in our Warrington edition instead of the Village Life one.

4 hours ago, asperity said:

So why are people in Stockton Heath so standoffish from the town centre? It's only a mile and a half travel compared to Penketh which is 3 miles away.

While if I had £750,000 to buy a house I would consider Stockton Heath it amazes me that people are willing to pay £200,000 for a tiny terrace house in Stockton Heath when for the same money you can buy a spacious three bedroom semi in Great Sankey for example.

Although they tell you they go into their village to shop but of course they come into Warrington to shop, after all you can't get everything in Aldi.