Glasses Repair

Milky

Depends on what the repair required is. If it is just missing screws you can get a repair kit with screws and tools and do it yourself.

if the frames are broken then the chances are that you will end up having to buy new frames.

I would try the opticians where you got them first though they may do a free of charge repair.

9 hours ago, Evil Sid said:

Depends on what the repair required is. If it is just missing screws you can get a repair kit with screws and tools and do it yourself.

if the frames are broken then the chances are that you will end up having to buy new frames.

I would try the opticians where you got them first though they may do a free of charge repair.

I agree, even if not free they usually only charge a few pounds and then realign the specs for you to be in the right position. After being seriously bashed they usually need readjusting!

I have a pair of reading glasses bought years ago that have a flexible frame. you can tie it in a knot almost without damaging them.(can get lenses replaced in them but the opticians i got them from no longer do that sort of frame)

Worth having a google to see if you can still get that type of frame. Might save you from having to get a repair done in future,(will survive being sat on without any sign of distortion afterwards a si found out one afternoon.)

On 8/2/2019 at 7:16 AM, Evil Sid said:

I know Vision Express in Golden Square do free minor fixes for customers ; 

Thanks, I bought some new frames!

Bought them from Specsavers 15 months ago, Specsavers used to very very good. However the plastic bridge broke on the nose and i took them back, they wanted £37 if my memory is correct, I bought a replacement of Ebay for £3. Then the arm came away from the frame (not the screw) I took it back they wanted £57 for a new arm. I glued it in place but it came away again and as i was gluing them again the frame came apart. Went to Specsavers they wanted to sell me new frames, lenses and prescription. I complained they sold me a new frame and put the old lenses in.

Still feel a little ripped off as the same pair of frames with normal lenses cost £79 and you get a second free.

Used Specsavers for years and years,  but feel like a change is needed.

odd thing is that specsavers are the only ones who do the flexible frames.

There are the online places that do them but specsaver offer them at a price of £99.00 two for one. (ultra flex frames)

I would post a link but might fall foul of the forums advertising policy. A look for flexible glasses frames on the old goggle search engine will help.

11 hours ago, Milky said:

Thanks, I bought some new frames!

Bought them from Specsavers 15 months ago, Specsavers used to very very good. However the plastic bridge broke on the nose and i took them back, they wanted £37 if my memory is correct, I bought a replacement of Ebay for £3. Then the arm came away from the frame (not the screw) I took it back they wanted £57 for a new arm. I glued it in place but it came away again and as i was gluing them again the frame came apart. Went to Specsavers they wanted to sell me new frames, lenses and prescription. I complained they sold me a new frame and put the old lenses in.

Still feel a little ripped off as the same pair of frames with normal lenses cost £79 and you get a second free.

Used Specsavers for years and years,  but feel like a change is needed.

I think specsavers are victims of their own success.

I was a customer for several years and saw the volume of customers grow at the same time that customer service deteriorated due to customer/staff ratio staying the same as in quieter years.Long waits and standing room only in the waiting areas became common place.

The last pair I bought had a mark on the lens ,I returned and was quoted £45 to replace it,as it was inferred I had scratched the lens myself (I had owned them for 48 hours) !!!!

And so I voted with my feet.

And now I have found an alternative optician where I am treated as an individual with small gestures such as remembering my face and last visit and offering a cup of coffee whilst waiting for my appointment slot.

and the prices are much the same.

Your answer surprised me, used them once some time ago, had a discount voucher, put it on the counter but it got forgotten about and they were so reluctant to honour it after I paid full price. 

Things change so I will look into them when I need my next pair,