Warrington Xmas Parking....

Bazj

When is the free xmas parking in Warrington? Is there any?.... found this about Sefton Council; seems they are listening to their electorate!

The Leader of Sefton Council has delivered an early Christmas present for shoppers and businesses – with the introduction of a series of free parking incentives.

In a bid to boost business across the borough, Sefton Council has made it free to park all day in its car parks and ‘on-street’ parking spaces on Saturdays, December 7, 14 and 21.

Park and ride Services will also be free all day on Saturdays as the council strives to support the aims of Small Business Saturday.

On top of this, Sefton will also make it free to park in its car parks and ‘on-street’ parking spaces after 3pm on Thursday, December 12 and 19. Park and ride services will also be free after 3pm on these Thursdays.

The aim is to give a shot in the arm for shops and traders who continue to struggle with the national and global economic downturn.

It is hoped that people will make the most of the offer in the run up to Christmas to take advantage of the festive atmosphere and enjoy the many facilities and attractions Sefton’s town centres offer – alongside its fantastic retail outlets.

Businesses are being asked to encourage their staff not to fill up the free spaces throughout the trial so as much room as possible will be available for shoppers and visitors. It is hoped staff might instead use the free park and ride services.

The concession is expected to cost the council around £30,000 which will be met from a ‘priorities fund’ that has been set aside to support town centres and the local economy

Cllr Peter Dowd, Leader of Sefton Council, said: “We wanted to be able to do something to support our town centres in the run up to Christmas as they face increasing competition from online retailers alongside continually difficult economic conditions.

“We are currently working on a review of parking across the borough and have spoken with a number of different business people while we are doing that. We have listened to what they have been telling us and believe it is time to try something different. We all understand the need to balance the regulation of parking, to free up spaces and keep trade turning over, versus the cost to the shopper or visitor.

“And that is exactly why we are carrying out this pilot to give something back, to show we are listening and hopefully help our borough make the most out of the Christmas period.

“We also understand that this might cause a bit of confusion for some people and we would normally take more time over such things. But I want Sefton Council to ‘get out and do it’ when we have an idea which we feel will genuinely help our businesses and residents. It will cost a relatively small amount of money to do this and there might be a few issues along the way. But we should not always shy away from risk if there is something out there which might help – and I genuinely do hope this will help.”

Cllr John Fairclough, Sefton’s Cabinet Member for Transportation, said: “This will be an added incentive for people to leave their computer screens in the run up to Christmas and enjoy the fabulous restaurants, bars, coffee shops, theatres, cinemas and other attractions which make our town centres so diverse and interesting.

“We have listened to the views of businesses and residents and we continue to listen, so hopefully this Christmas present will be a welcome one for everyone. It is always a difficult balance to get parking rules right, but we should learn a lot of lessons from this pilot to help us continue to shape our thinking for the future.”

No idea about our free parking this year but in past years it's always been free on Thursday night (late night xmas opening) but that's about it apart from Sundays.

There's the free park and ride bus service on Saturdays dotted around the outskirts every year though and that's pretty good especially from over this way and so much easier than battling the Saturday traffic and manic parking problems in town.. 

I wonder when it starts as I've not see the signs up for it yet... odd. 

Well here I am replying to myself about the xmas park and ride service.

Splashed across Network Warrington's website is the following......... dated 22 Oct 2013  :evil:

Christmas Park & Ride Not Operating

Please be aware that the Christmas Park & Ride service will not be operating this year. This service is normally contracted by Warrington Borough Council however they have decided not to operate the service this year.

http://www.networkwarrington.co.uk/news/christmas-park-&-ride-not-operating

What a joke of a bus service there is in Warrington these days. This Park and Ride scheme, despite costing money should be seen as an essential, and traders in Warrington Town Centre should be kicking up a fuss. I as a regular car user, have used this in previous years, as parking in town is in great demand, and as a result, I will either shop afield or online this year, so well done WBT, after the disgraceful strikes earlier in the year, you should be hanging your heads in shame. You should be a PUBLIC service. Maybe its time to let them go under after we, the tax payer, bailed them out previously.

This coming Saturday is "Small Business Saturday" and the Forum of Private Business circulated every council in the country suggesting that they mark the occasion by offering one day of free parking. Some 40 councils agreed to do so - Warrington was not one of them.

• 2 weeks later...

It amazes me how often the subject of the lack of cheap parking in Warrington crops up,

Golden Square:-

just over a quid for an hour.       £2.20 for 4 hours,      FREE on sundays or Thursdays after 4pm.

Market car park:-

£1 for 3 hours.      £2 all day,

Winwick street £2.20 ALL DAY

If those prices frighten you, perhaps you should be doing your shopping at all the pound shops in Widnes, Northwich and St Helens.

There are reasons why parking is free in Widnes and Northwich-the shopping is very limited. I don't know any other town our size and range of shops that does cheaper parking.

I also read an article on the St Helens site regarding the closure of their WH Smith. They were comparing it with our town saying that why we don't have cheap parking, we have a wider range of shops. See the prices above, don't be afraid.

• Upvote 1

There are reasons why parking is free in Widnes and Northwich-the shopping is very limited. I don't know any other town our size and range of shops that does cheaper parking.

Northwich and Widnes have just as much decent shopping (and probably no more pound shops!) as Warrington.

And there's plenty of free parking just a short trip down the road from Urmston with a FAR greater range of shops than Warrington will ever have!

• Upvote 1

You would really expect the green policies of the government would be ploughing money into sustainable public transport though.

Plenty of places in this borough have NEVER had a bus service worthy of the name.

And when it comes right down to it, how much greener is it really to have dozens of filthy 15 or 20 year old diesel buses running around all day with hardly anyone on them rather than modern private cars which only run their engines at all when someone actually wants to go somewhere?

Have you been to Widnes lately ? All the big name shops are there with adjacent parking & they still have a TJs  & all the big supermarkets & they have a good bus service to neighbouring towns with bus stops next to the shopping centre.

I've been to widnes many times and have yet to see a Debenhams, Primark, H&M etc. As for the buses, I would say that our interchange is in quite a handy location.

I'm not saying Warrington is fantastic, I think that compared to similar sized towns, especially in the south, we have inferior facilities. I'm just contesting the accusation of expensive parking.

I've been to widnes many times and have yet to see a Debenhams, Primark, H&M etc. As for the buses, I would say that our interchange is in quite a handy location.

I'm not saying Warrington is fantastic, I think that compared to similar sized towns, especially in the south, we have inferior facilities. I'm just contesting the accusation of expensive parking.

To be honest TF ,i try & go into Warrington by bus if possible & if i go by car  i try & park  outside the  town centre & walk in.... & that is more because i hate sitting in traffic than the parking charge. However ,apart from the shops you mentioned, Widnes does have a good choice of High St names.

Plenty of places in this borough have NEVER had a bus service worthy of the name.

And when it comes right down to it, how much greener is it really to have dozens of filthy 15 or 20 year old diesel buses running around all day with hardly anyone on them rather than modern private cars which only run their engines at all when someone actually wants to go somewhere?

Most Network Warrington buses are under ten years old. And they either go to places with lots of customers (and make a profit, especially with less frequent services) or they go to more remote places "with hardly anyone on them" and when those services are threatened some on here think they should be run as a "public service", but without of course putting up council tax (or any other tax). Bah, humbug.

But if you want to get a less gridlocked Warrington you need to go down the route of tempting people out of cars  & onto public transport ,but to do that it needs to be a cheap alternative to using a car ,the service needs to be comprehensive throughout the borough ,& it needs to be reliable & at times to suit its customers. A bus with 50 seats has the potential to take 50 cars off the roads  where the one in a car brigade are concerned.