Road Works -

observer

You can't drive up Bridge Street anyway Obs but to answer the question they are making the pavements and road nicer to look at and installing some big flower pots too.

No idea about the King and Queen.

As for traffic congestion.... absolutely manic again trying to get through the town centre at 5pm tonight. 

It took me well over an hour to get from just before Brian Bevan Island (from A49 Wilderspool) through Bridge Foot, along Wilson Patten Street to the Pink Eye roundabout and back again.

Grrrrrrr !!! 

The teams were all back in front of the King and Queen Wednesday. It appears they only had a few days off. The chaos was back with a vengeance as they not only had the temporary traffic lights going again, they had an articulated wagon parked near the bus-stop and the "into town" direction, consequently, coned off. When a bus had to come round and stop there to drop off or pick up passengers, the whole area came to a standstill. I still can't see any actual changes to the pavements, the roads or the lights, other than the parts that have been dug up!

Had a close look at it today: from what I could observe, they appear to have put down a non-skid surface, re-painted the road markings; put in some sensor wiring for the T/Lights - and it's taken them months. If this is the rate of civil engineering nowadays, HS2 may not be built for some time !

Believe UU have started to dig up to repair a burst main around the crossfields roundabout, may be a couple of days of roadworks around there. (and it is not even december yet) :ph34r::mrgreen:

I noticed a few people in the Hi-Viz jackets yesterday (recognised at least three members of the councils staff!).... it's going to be interesting round there leading up to Christmas!

The whole of Warrington has been pretty much gridlocked since 3.30pm.  We couldn't even get out of Stockton Heath at that time to get to Bridge Foot so gave up.

A friend is currently stuck in it coming from the other side of town and has been for almost 50 minutes so far (6.30pm)

took me 30 minutes to get from out of the Tesco car park on Winwick Road over to the Wickes store..... 500 yards.

Took five changes of the lights at Tescos to get out of the car park because of the bloody inconsiderates that block off the exit when the lights change.... 3 Eddie Stobart trucks did it for a start!

Knights of the road my backside!

1pth74.jpg

• Upvote 1

Just read the lead article about bridge foot and it is great. Run out of flags, couldn't locate the water standpipe, didn't switch the lighting cables over. Now hands up who is surprised at this, ........anybody?

Contrators quoted as saying that some work will NOT be finished until into the new year. Council Spokesman quoted as saying ALL works will be finished BEFORE Christmas. So who do we believe, the guys on the street doing the actual work, or, the guy's in the office sat at the computer with the spreadsheets.

Shopkeepers are still up in arms about the loss of trade and have had short thrift from the council. So have they a case with the council or with the contractors for compensation.

Seems that the project management group have forgotten rule one of project management "No project, however well managed, will comes in under time and under budget".

I do feel sort of sorry for the traders mentioned in todays news story about lower Bridge Street but in all fairness you can still get to them all if you want to as the access is still there and the pavements haven't been completely closed.

Maybe once the plant pots have been installed the whole of the Bridge Street area will become as vibrant as it once was.  Ok so that was probably a bit sarky sorry

"No.... there are No Road Works here..... It is all a lie....a rumour put out by the infidels in the Trafford Centre..... I can categorically state there are no roadworks in Bridge Street......"

(and if there are they are all going to plan....despite what you may have heard).... :)

2lkf8e1.jpg

• Upvote 1

Wonder if they'll shell out on fancy Italian road surfacing, laid by "expert" Italian tradesmen?  Ideal for allowing the pavement pizzas to be cleaned in the morning !

A reference to the skittles era facelift there, I see what you did.

I drank with some of the paving artistes at the time, believe me, they were neither expert, Italian nor tradesmen!