Which Film can you watch over and over?

observer

Planet of the Apes, return to Planet of the Apes, Escape from Planet of the Apes, Beneath Planet of the Apes, the remake of Planet of the Apes, Terminator I II and III. Alien I II III and IV, Predator, Alien v Predator, the Great Escape, I Robot, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, Custer's Last Stand, Fist Full of Dollars, Magnificent Seven, Rambo, Rocky - I must be easily pleased! :o

ChrisG -- I agree The Departed is an interesting film -- and I hope you'll view the original Chinese version called Infernal Affairs in this country.

This week I happened to re-watch Seven Samurai and The Magnificent Seven on cable. I had never seen the first part of Seven Samurai and it was astonishing how much was lifted directly from that script -- one of the seven splitting tree branches for his dinner, one of the seven following the others/not allowed to join, one of the seven a well dressed young man eager to become a warrior/meeting a pretty girl in the village. Even the number of bandits was the same - 30. 7 against 30.

The idea of Yul Brynner as a gunfighter had flummoxed me before, but in Seven Samurai the leader shaves his head at the beginning and in Magnificent an old friend accuses Brynner of - "still having that CAJUN accent!" I assume we all know CAJUNS are a peculiar version of French Canadians transplanted into New Orleans and Louisiana a few centuries ago.

Yes, wild parties are commonplace here. Remember, though, every baby that is born is a barbarian, and civilization is very, very thin veneer.

Hmmm. Wonder if we could make a haiku:

Teenagers at play

Vandals at work, which have more

Fearsome symmetry?

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by jerry:

I know you are a Jimmy Stewart fan, but if you like Glenn Miller music have you seen the three or so films he made with his band? One of them featured Sonja Henie.

Yes I have but not for a long time. I'd like to get them on DVD but I doubt I'll be able to.

I'm a Jimmy Stewart and Glenn Miller fan. The Glenn Miller story (though the "plot" is largely garbage and almost totally inaccurate) is just - perfect for me. :D

I found Orchestra Wives but not the Sonja Henie film Sun Valley Serenade:

Orchestra Wives [DVD] (1942)

Vibrant tale of a newly-married Big Band trumpeteer whose marriage is considered a bad bet by the other band members and wives because of the schemes of a sultry lead singer. Glenn Miller and his Band, George Montgomery, Ann Rutherford, Cesar Romero, Lynn Bari, and Jackie Gleason star. Songs include "I've Got a Gal in Kalamazoo," "At Last," "Serenade in Blue." 97 min. Standard; Soundtracks: English Dolby Digital stereo, Dolby Digital mono; Subtitles: English, Spanish; audio commentary; photo gallery; theatrical trailer.

Category: Musicals Director: Archie Mayo

Cast: Lynn Bari, Virginia Gilmore, Mary Beth Hughes, Carole Landis, Glenn Miller, George Montgomery, Fayard Nicholas, Harold Nicholas, Cesar Romero, Ann Rutherford

Academy Award?

Nominee: Best Song ("I've Got A Gal In Kalamazoo")

Rated: NR B&W

Was $14.99 $10.99 DVD #D63541

Email This Movie To A Friend Tell A Friend Send As A Gift Send As A Gift ^ back to top

The Fabulous Dorseys [DVD] (1947)

Legendary bandleader brothers Tommy and Jimmy Dorsey played themselves in this tune-filled biodrama that follows the duo's careers and at-times stormy relationship. Janet Blair, William Lundigan co-star, with appearances by Paul Whiteman and other musical greats; songs include "Marie," "Green Eyes," "The Object of My Affection," and more. 83 min. Standard; Soundtrack: English.

Category: Musicals Director: Alfred E. Green

Cast: Sara Allgood, William Bakewell, Charlie Barnet, Janet Blair, Ann Carter, Jimmy Dorsey, Tommy Dorsey, Tom Dugan, James Flavin, William Lundigan, Helen O'Connell, Jack Roper, Jackie Searl, Paul Whiteman

Also Available: VHS

Rated: NR B&W

Was $14.99 $13.49 DVD #D75512

Email This Movie To A Friend Tell A Friend Send As A Gift Send As A Gift ^ back to top

The Glenn Miller Story [DVD] (1953)

The music of the Big Band era lives again in this famed biography of the musician and band leader. James Stewart shines in the title role, with June Allyson as his wife. Special musical guests include Louis Armstrong, Gene Krupa, Frances Langford and the Glenn Miller Orchestra, performing such classics as "Pennsylvania 6-5000," "Moonlight Serenade," and "Chattanooga Choo-Choo." 113 min. Widescreen (Enhanced); Soundtrack: English Dolby Digital Surround; Subtitles: Spanish, French.

Category: Musicals

Cast: June Allyson, Louis Armstrong, Irving Bacon, James Bell, William Challee, Kevin Corcoran, Charles Drake, Lisa Gaye, Paula Kelly, Gene Krupa, Frances Langford, Bill Lee, Barton MacLane, Harry Morgan, Damian O'Flynn, Steve Pendleton, Davis Roberts, Marion Ross, James Stewart, George Tobias, Katherine Warren, Carleton Young, James Young

Academy Award?

Winner: Best Sound

Nominee: Best Original Screenplay, Best Score (Musical)

Rated: G Color

Was $14.99 $9.99 DVD #D44075

The Benny Goodman Story [DVD] (1955)

The life story of the King of Swing is told in memorable fashion with a standout performance by Steve Allen in the title role. Donna Reed co-stars, and Sammy Davis Jr., Gene Krupa, Harry James, Lionel Hampton and many more make musical appearances. Goodman himself dubbed the clarinet playing. 117 min. Standard; Soundtrack: English Dolby Digital mono; Subtitles: Spanish, French.

Category: Musicals

Cast: Steve Allen, Herbert Anderson, Robert Clarke, Buck Clayton, Berta Gersten, Stan Getz, George Givot, Wilton Graff, Lionel Hampton, Harry James, Gene Krupa, Jack Kruschen, Kid Ory, Donna Reed, Robert F. Simon, Martha Tilton, Teddy Wilson

Rated: NR Color

Was $14.99 $14.24 DVD #D44074

Email This Movie To A Friend Tell A Friend Send As A Gift Send As A Gift

I found a different dealer with one DVD left:

SUN VALLEY Serenade_GLENN MILLER_(1941)_DVD

SUN VALLEY Serenade_GLENN MILLER_(1941)_DVD

SKU:

Dont Miss your Chance to Own this RARE Classic on DVD!

Region 0 (Playable anywhere in the World)!

Sun Valley Serenade (1941)

Featuring The Glenn Miller Band at it's Best!!!!

When Phil Corey's band arrives at the Idaho ski resort its pianist Ted Scott is smitten with a Norwegian refugee he has sponsored, Karen Benson. When soloist Vivian Dawn quits, Karen stages an ice show as a substitute.

Sonja Henie .... Karen Benson

John Payne ....Ted Scott

Glenn Miller .... Phil Corey

Milton Berle .... Jerome K. 'Nifty' Allen

86 min

PRICE: $14.97

[ 25.04.2007, 16:21: Message edited by: jerry ]