Privatisation at its Best

Lt Kije

might be better to keep offenders in prison where they belong and execute the murderers to free up space and save even more money as we wouldn't have to feed them and put up with endless appeals on legal aid....

From what I have read they were not actually tagging dead people merely invoicing for a list of names that they had "tagged" which later turned out to contain names of people who were dead or had been imprisoned and some who had their tagging order rescinded.

So basically they got the phone book picked a few hundred names at random and then sent in the bill for their tagging service. Fraud on a grand scale which should see some of the higher ups in the firm receiving either  prison sentences or be subject to a tagging order which they can "rightly" claim the fee for. :P

I am all in favour of electronic tagging but the current system is ineffective. Maybe  a small semtex charge fitted to each tag that would detonate if the offender breaks curfew might be more of a deterrent. :twisted:

There should be no possibility of a next time. Contracts should have been severed when the fraud was uncovered.

Hell's bells....! How long does it take to fit a tag on anyone. Each police station should have an officer dedicated solely to do the tagging and tracking. Surely must be cheaper than contracting out to other, inept/faraudulent, companies to do?

Cleo, How long have you been a member now?, You should no that common sence ideas such as your last one, have no place on this forum :wink:

Never thought I would see your name and the words "Common Sense" in the same post..... strange how things turn out isn't it!!? :lol:

G4S came to read our gas and elec meters today.  Do they get or do that wrong too ?

Call me stupid but after the Olympics cock up and now the 'alleged' tagging fraud I fobbed them off and said we had submitted our readings online direct to British Gas (ok so we hadn't but I just didn't want them in our house). 

Why are a company as big as BG still using  a clearly 'incapable' company like G4S especially with all the bad press they keep getting... or have I just answered my own question there ? 

Ok so maybe British Gas have found themselves tied into a contract with them (maybe even a rolling one that they didn't know they had to opt out of before prices were more than doubled) that they can't get out .... one can only hope as that really WOULD make me smile ..:) 

G4S came to read our gas and elec meters today.  Do they get or do that wrong too ?

Call me stupid but after the Olympics cock up and now the 'alleged' tagging fraud I fobbed them off and said we had submitted our readings online direct to British Gas (ok so we hadn't but I just didn't want them in our house). 

Dizz I know I'm stating the obvious but not having your meter readings taken will mean receiving an estimated bill and that will result in you paying more than you should be paying then they have to adjust your next bill correspondingly, which they rarely get right, unless you take the readings yourself and forward them on to your supplier.

Or could possibly lead to a visit by a gas official accompanied by a police officer?

I remember the occasion when I answered a knock on my door and opened the door to find a british gas man with a police officer stood on the step.

"I want to look at your gas meter!" Were the words he greeted me with.

"It was read just last week," I told him, wondering why the policeman.

"I said I want to see your gas meter.....!!! He repeated more forcibly. "Are you going to let me in or not!?"

"Come on then," I replied, standing aside to permit entry. The penny had dropped as to why he was accompanied by a policeman.

It had been a pretty warm summer and only having one gas fire in the house, everything else was electric, my gas bill had been just a little over 5gbp, not having had any need to use it.

So he left witth egg on his face, having seen that the meter had not been tampered with. The policeman, who hadn't uttered a single word,  looked at me with a smile and winked as they were leaving.

Cleo a similar incident happened to my brother a short while ago. He had his meters read and his resulting bill for the quarter was about two thirds less than anybody else in the street. a week later a guy came to "read " the meter again, when my brother pointed out it had just been read the guy shrugged and said he didn't know that and had been asked to read the meter. A day after my brother got a phone call along the lines of why are your bills significantly lower than the rest of the area.

1 he has a conservatory at the back which gets quite warm even in winter and so provides heat to the house all day.

2 He only puts the central heating on when he gets up for to take any initial chill off the house and his partner turns it off before she goes to work about an hour later.

3 both he and his partner work during the day so there is nobody in the house until about five when they both get home. This means there are only the fridge and freezer using any electric during the day.

4 when they get in at night they only have the heating on for about an hour all the cooking is done in that time as well and the telly and computer get used. as they both get up early and by eleven they are ready for bed and so everything gets switched off again and nothing is left on standby.

the person at the other end was still not convinced but they had checked the meter readings twice in fortnight and there was no problem with the meter so they cannot do a thing about it.

Did provide a good laugh though