Life doesn't mean life -

You see what we have to watch for now is a prisoner going to the ECHR to get a ruling on the uniformity & length of sentences within EU signatory countries. I believe there are some countries with a capital sentence of 21 years  so i'm sure this could be a future target.

1. Jailed 1996, released 2005, murdered again 2008

2. Jailed 1971, released 1989, murdered again 1989

3. Jailed 1989, released 2006, murdered again 2008

4. Jailed 1971, released not stated, murdered again 2009

5. Jailed 1989, released 2009, murdered again 2009

6. Jailed 1992, released 2005, murdered again 2005

7. Jailed 1993, released 2008, murdered again 2008

8. Jailed 2002, released 2010, murdered again 2010

9. Jailed not stated, released not stated, killed again 2011

10. Jailed 1981, released not stated, murdered again 2010

11.  Jailed 1987, released 2009, murdered again 2011

12 .Jailed 1988.... released for weekend leave 2000 Killed again 2000

Now realising that your sympathies lie with the assortment of lowlifes and incompetent social workers and none at all for the victims, I won't have further discussion with you on the subject because basically you are an idiot.

• Upvote 1

Surely, in the interests of fairness, if capital punishment is unsafe because an innocent man may be executed by mistake, then a convicted murderer should lose his freedom for the rest of his life. Unless of course he is somehow found innocent while serving his sentence.

Eagle you are a pillock, and you will not discuss because you know where I am going to go, but I will try anyway

So from 1971 to 2011, 12 people were released wrongly by the parole board, between 1971 and 2011 how many cases have the parole board heard?, then will you state your 12 as a percentage of this figure

read the article Kije.... you may wake up to the fact that in the past 10 years 31 people have been killed by murderers who were deemed safe by the parole board...

31 people.... but of course they are victims and don't have human rights any more to be defended by your wonderful ECHR do they?.....

I wasn't looking for discussion Kije and only a clown would introduce debate, I posted facts that suggest reviewing life sentences was a nonsense and that our Euro masters, who happen to be your heroes, should butt out of our system. If our out of touch MPs bottle the question of Capital Punishment then Life Imprisonment is the next best thing but it must be whole of life.

I am sick to death of seeing the same sound bites when incompetents and their superiors will not take or lay blame.  Everyone knows them, 'a serious case review', 'steps will be taken', a full and vigourous investigation', etc. 

Kije, Patron Saint of Eurocrats, incompetents and criminals.

Eagle, As a moderator on another site, I would have thought you would hold off on name calling, perhaps not but is that the best you can do.

Eagle; a name synonymous With Bitter Old Fart, Who can't see the wood for the trees and is too proud to ask. Living proof that the little Englander Buffoon is still not yet extinct.

Good job I am patient  I can wait :wink:

I had forgotten how quickly your limited brain resorts to insults, For a brief second I thought your IQ might have reached your physical bodies age, Sadly not!!!!!, We live in hope :lol:

Any system with people involved will make mistakes Baz, as you know, And I think the parole board was in existence before the ECHR, so to blame them is just plain wrong. and just shows desperation.

to dismiss the unnecessary deaths of over 30 people as "a mistake" just shows the contempt you have for the victims of serious crime... and yes the parole board was in existence before we had the ECHR but they only make matters worse because they allocate human rights to scum whereas prior to them we just executed them and then there were NO killers let out to kill again....

and I am not showing desperation; it is despair!

It is a fact that no body is perfect algy, mistakes sadly will on occasion be made, be people are wrongly convicted and go to prison sometimes for years, people are let out of prison when they should not. I find it odd that you care about the cock ups that come out of prison but not the ones that go in. No system anywhere is perfect.

The hangman isn't the person who passes the sentence, just the executioner. Why say that mistakes sometimes happen when a murderer is released who goes on to commit more murder, but not accept the mistakes that may sometimes happen with capital punishment? They both end up with the death of innocent people. Or perhaps the members of the parole board who release a reoffending murderer should be locked up for life?

What Grace Dent says:

There is, it feels, a wafer-thin line in the human condition between what makes us fair, civil, humane and decent and what makes us barbarians. Right now, I’m happy for Strasbourg to carry on patrolling these borders.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/appalled-by-the-fuss-over-human-rights-for-serial-killers-try-dubai-8700709.html

I like Grace Dent.

The hangman isn't the person who passes the sentence, just the executioner. Why say that mistakes sometimes happen when a murderer is released who goes on to commit more murder, but not accept the mistakes that may sometimes happen with capital punishment? They both end up with the death of innocent people. Or perhaps the members of the parole board who release a reoffending murderer should be locked up for life?

The murder goes back to jail, it is the hangman that pulls the trigger so to speak, and in English law would be liable along with the state.