our Queen

I was going to say 'on the stair' after Asp's post but it didn't make sense as you had already posted Baz. :lol:

Congratulations to the HM the Queen on her 60th Coronation Anniversary.

Is it just me though as Charles seems to be taking on more of a role these days (in the public 'eye' sense anyway) and today I'm not sure that I agreed with him and Camilla (in her HUGE overbearing hat) walking in front of the Queen in the church/catherdral celebration.  It's like they are taking over her role already..... which I know Charles will do one day... but hopefully not yet.

Like I said just my opinion as someone who was watching and wondering at the time :oops:

• 4 weeks later...

Well, in these times of austerity, with pay freezes for the Prols,  with the elderly choking our hospitals and young couples struggling to get a house - sure we're all glad to see the Queen get a pay rise, the Duke being cared for and young Wills and Kate moving into a newly refurbished Palace !

Seeing that the Queen is getting a pay rise, and mp's are about to get a pay rise and Britain’s richest bosses were paid an extra ten per cent last year and pocketed an average £4.2million apiece, it seems only fair that Teachers should defend their pay by going on strike.

No ,but i'm sure a UK republic would still cost an arm & a leg to run.  What they need to do is prune  the beneficiaries from our taxes down  to a manageable number then let the  rest of them either get a job or join the welfare state on the same benefit footing as  the great unwashed.

Apparently our monarchy only cost each person in the country 52.5p a year. That's less that a packet of crisps (pickled onion space raiders are less that that I know... but I'm talking normal crisps such as walkers)

More here about what the money goes on..... (ok so whether it's all accurate or not I have no idea as it's from the Mail)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2349433/Queen-5-pay-rise-Monarchs-income-hit-38-million-year.html?amp;ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

No doubt Dave, might even cost more; that's why I'm not a Republican; merely one who would want a scaled down Monarchy, similar to the Scandanavian model. Liz. Chas & Wills could form "the firm", and be paid as civil servants; with the rest being privatised, to charge their own appearance fees (might even get more money?!). The Palaces could be cut back, and some could be converted to elderly care homes or hospices, and/ or tourist traps. The Estates nationalised. A lot of the anachronistic ceremonials and titles could be made extinct. A Monarchy for the 21st century.

The Queen now gets a sovereign grant instead of the civil list and grants in aid that she used to get. This figure is 15% of the profits from the crown estates which rounded up comes to 36.1 million. the other 85% goes to HM treasury which manages the crown estates portfolio.

Think the crown estates are worth around eight or nine billion with the profit from them being around 240 million a year. All held ion a trust with an allowance to the reigning monarch for performing whatever duties they are tasked with, waving at the great unwashed, diverting attention from the massive pay rises that MP's seem to think they are entitled to now that they cannot get away with fiddling the same amount on expenses and so on.

So three chairs for the Queen great value for money.