Cheese maker's of Warrington...unite!

tedrogers

Not convinced that pasturization is a necessity.  Definitely not a necessity for home or neighbour use.  Another governmental or banker Rothchild control maybe?    Just asking.

We pay approximately twentyfive pound for a kilo of goats cheese.  Can't get goat's butter, unheard of.  I bought goats cheese for next to nothing in Warrington and goats butter for a quarter of the price of regular butter over here.

Soooo into self preservation.  Any 'know how to do' welcome.

I hope it's not necessary. We already get raw milk from a farm nearby, I make yoghurt out of it. There are dire warnings all over the internet about the dangers of raw milk, especially in yoghurt making but we're fine. It's delicious and healthy, full of pro-biotics and good cholesterol. 

Where are you demelzadoe? If you can get hold of goat's milk I imagine butter would be easy to make. We've made butter with the kids (human variety) before just as a bit of fun, basically old cream in a jar and shake it. That's it!

We're quite into self preservation (I hope you mean in the food sense!) too, my pantry's lined with bottled fruit, jams, pickles, salted beans etc. 

Where are you demelzadoe? If you can get hold of goat's milk I imagine butter would be easy to make. We've made butter with the kids (human variety) before just as a bit of fun, basically old cream in a jar and shake it. That's it!

I'm in Queensland Tracy.  We do get goat's milk so I'm going to have a go.   I would prefer fresh from the farm rather than the messed about with stuff, but we don't have any goat farmers close by.   By the way, how long do you have to shake it for?

I love cheese....

.......so in layman's terms (please) what is the simplest way for a complete novice like me to try and make some. If I happen to be successful in following the instructions (which based on my culinery skills is doubtful) how long will it last and be edible for?

I love cheese....

.......so in layman's terms (please) what is the simplest way for a complete novice like me to try and make some. If I happen to be successful in following the instructions (which based on my culinery skills is doubtful) how long will it last and be edible for?

My experience to date involves watching Hugh FW make goat's cheese. I believe soft cheeses are easy to make but haven't tried it yet. If you Google there are lots of self sufficient forums discussing cheesemaking. Lakeland are also now selling cheese making equipment, rennet etc.

"Blessed are the Cheesemakers"

To drag this back to my family history (as is my wont) I'm descended from the Nixons who were probably one of the first families in Cheshire to make Cheshire Cheese on a commercial basis. I expect I'll be a natural  8)

Evil Sid is right. My first hard cheese took 3 months, 9 litres of 4% fat milk. It was amasingly tasty thought and a lot of fun caring for it....watching out for mould etc.

Google is really helpful, but basically you need milk and a mesophyllic starter culture to get the milk to ripen, then proper rennet to get it to separate the curds from the whey. Then you pour away the whey (wahey!), salt the curds, press and mould it, and dry / mature over time.

Temperature regulation is critical at all stages of cheese making. The effort is well worth it though, for cheese you can say you made yourself.

Mmmm... maybe you could just make me some as I'd definitely mess that especially if it requires a lot of looking after and temperature regulation is critical.  I struggle enough cooking things in the oven without burning them and that regulates it's own temperature. :lol:    :oops: