Have I missed something?

middlec

The renewal of traffic lights at Northwich Road swingbridge, Stockton Heath  (junction London Rd./Fairfield Rd./Ellesmere Rd.) were originally going to last 6 weeks, then it was extended to 10 weeks, and now appear to have come to a complete halt. No-one has been seen working there for weeks.  Didn't this work start soon after Christmas? Have I missed something? Shouldn't these new lights (and a zebra crossing) be completed by now?

MiddleC.... I know where you are coming from with that as I drive or walk past there every day.

They certainly haven't made much progress since they first started months ago other than for the first few weeks when the roads were closed between certain hours of the day as they dug up the pavements and laid the electrics from the old to the new (I presume) and put the new nobbly paving slabs down.  Not much has happened since then and like you say it looks really messy especially regarding patchwork pavements. 

The road closure didn't last as long as was expected but I've and not seem any workers for well over a month now other than the 2 with a small ladder the other week who were attaching the crossing yellow boxes on the new (out of order) posts.

No idea why it's taking so long as it's hardly rocket science to replace a few sets of existing lights on a crossroad and attach a few un-needed crossing boxes on a one way street is it ?.

Maybe they have realised it wont work and are reviewing it all (joke I think) .... or maybe they are just mega slooooooow.

You should ask the councils highways bods as they should know what is going on and why it is taking so long.

I wish they would alter the timing on the Ellesmere and Fairfield temp lights though as only a couple of cars get through before they change back to red again.  A complete pain in the 'you know where' !!!  

Indeed they are Algy.  My other half went past there yesterday and told me there was a team of workers in attendance! I wonder what held up the completion of the work in the first place?  Originally there never appeared to be more than two people working there. It always created some amusing comments from those having a haircut in the nearby barbers shop.

I noticed them all busy there yesterday morning too . When I went through last night the new lights were working. Just been through from ellesmere this morning and there's a big team working again today. The delay from ellesmere has been extended and is great as far more cars get through. I hope they dont change that now ive mentioned it eek. Crossing is not in operation yet thankfully. sorry about the typing I'm on my mobile and its a pain to post this way.

Well, the lights now appear to be working, and the area has been tidied up. Pity though, that the sequence of the lights is not as it was. I saw two potential accidents within minutes yesterday because drivers thought they had the right-of-way when coming out of Fairfield Road (used to be a ten second delay before Ellesmere Road lights changed) only to find that Ellesmere Road traffic was whizzing straight through. I don't know whether this is likely to remain but it isn't good, it does not help the flow of traffic from either side when a driver wants to turn right (Ellesmere Road right into London Road or Fairfield Road right to cross swing bridge).

Awww they will reduce the Ellesmere 'green' time now you've both said that and it's not caused any problems at all from that side... infact it's been blummin' marvelous and has cut a lot of the annoying traffic backup particularly at the busier times of the day or when the walton swing bridge is off and Ellesmere becomes a bypass.