Do Wood Pigeons have 'partners'

Dizzy

Like I said a very odd question ... but do wood pigeons have 'partners' or 'friends' ? :oops:

We have quite a few round here who always seem to sit in pairs on the chimney tops especially at this time of the night.

I've been watching one for over 5 hours today who has not moved from his/her chimney pot and qho has called out non stop while appearing to look around.

Please tell me they don't have partners or friends as this one's could well be the one that got splattered on the road outside our house this morning :cry::cry:

Whatever... it is rather sad watching this little lone chap(ess) just sitting there for hours on end waiting and calling for 'whoever' :cry:

Yes despite what you all probably think I am a big softie at heart :?:oops:

Ohhh no please tell me you are kidding.... :(

It's still sitting there looking and calling out. How long will it sit there for and when will it realise? Will it die from a broken heart or just be a billy no mates for the rest of it's life?

I wish I'd not asked now and 'they' (well might not have been but two others as they all look alike) were both sat together on the very same chimney in the rain the other night too .... they looked so cosy :cry:

Move on where... do you mean alone or that they soon find another partner and live happily ever after until one of them gets splatted too.

My 'birdie' day is getting more troublesome by the minute though as the local cat was spotted going past the back with a baby bird in it's mouth which was still alive :cry:

Ok so it's only nature but I hope it wasn't the baby sparrow that keeps popping under my gate and pottering around.

I'm feeling rather forcibly detached now so may I go to bed :?

You are not helping at all here Algy... now I'm upset about swans too. :cry:

So if a swan mates and one dies young what does the other do for the rest of it's life as swans can live to a ripe age can't they. Does it still stay with the other swans on the lake/pond/river or wherever or if it's male does it get pushed away and become a lonely and sad recluse. :shock:

We have shared our home with wood pigeons for 30 years - almost always in pairs. Currently, a pair have built a nest (not a very good one admittedly) in a tree and there is an egg in it, which they sit on for lengthy periods.

I suspect this means they are "partners".

Some years ago, I found a dead pigeon in the garden and wondered what had happened to its mate. But we have continued to have a pigeon presence in the garden so I assume the line did not die out.

Well I'm happy to report that billy no mates the wood pigeon is no longer sitting on his/her chimney pot alone and calling out. Infact not seen him/her since yesterday. Quite a few pairs still around though.

Now on an equally sad note to how this started I have since seen 3 more dead woodies, two on the roads and one just lying in someone's front garden.

So that makes 4 in total within a few days which either means 2 pairs or 4 individuals or a combination.

Either way that's not too bad as if they were pairs then they wont be missing each other... if they were individuals then that means their 4 partners are now alone but at least they can sit together with the other local woody widows.

Not sure about the poor squished hedgehog though... do hedgehogs have partners ? :shock::oops::lol:

Nah just flat mates :blink: :blink:

Was walking the dog earlier when I came across a dead pigeon on sankey valley. It must have died fairly recently as it was still intact, but it prompts me to wonder if there is some sort of epidemic going round the pigeon population. Not heard any sneezing yet so can't be bird flu. :shock:

The dead one I saw in a garden was just like that. Looked like it was just lying there having a snooze. No obvious injuries or anything... just dead. Maybe they are all committing suicide or like you say something else :unsure:

'Flat mates' by the way.... :roll::lol::lol:

Here is a tip to try out when you are next on a caravan holiday..... wait until really really late at night and then go and throw some bread on the roof of a few caravans near yours..... at 5:00 am, the birds will flock to these caravans and tap dance their way around the roof eating the bread.....

Repeat everyday and you can then see the bleary eyed people walking around having had little or no sleep.....

Particulary pleasurable if your neighbours happen to be overpaid and underworked teachers, personal injury lawyers or French people!

We used to do that years ago as kids on holidays Baz... and have done it quite recently too :oops:

Also good if you are abroad where people tend to go snorkelling in the shallow warm waters watching the fish... fish feeding frenzy and scares the life out of people :wink::lol:

... couldn't resist :oops:

found this for starters...

It apparently only the second time in more than 40 years that a "separation" has been recorded at Slimbridge Wetland out of a study of 4,000 pairs of Bewick's swans.

I wonder if Sarindi and Saruni are still friends and wether there is any bitterness between their ex's and their new partners Sarind and Surune. What blummin stupid and confusing names

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/gloucestershire/8477351.stm