Westbrook/Asda traffic lights

disgusted

I nipped to Ikea at Westbrook on my way home at 5.15pm (from Sankey Way direction) and got stuck in a load of traffic on Cromwell Avenue ?? (the road past the Peace Centre).

It was a nightmare. After a very long wait I was about to divert and go into to Asda instead as I was getting rather stressed..... until at the last minute I noticed that once you got through the Asda lights the way ahead was clear :shock:

Something is definately not right there :shock::roll:

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having just seen the road works being carried out to " improve" the situation at ASDA, I believe they are totally inadequate and will do little or nothing to sort out the mess created by the incompetent consultants used by WBC Environment department.

The road widening is by some 450 cm or 18 inches. NOT ENOUGH TO ALLEVIATE POTENTIAL TRAFFIC BUILD UP at thje entry to ASADA.

The bus stop is also inadequately designed to provide a good unobstructive bus stop.

The bus passengers - if any - will now have to cross into ASDA either by walking back some distance to the lights or by chancing to cross at the bus stop. I wonder which option they will choose.

It appears to me that this junction is again about to be a major disaster area for all road users, and I wait to be proved wrong. If I am correct I wait to see who will be sacked if and when it fails.

What are you a Civil Engineer now Wally!

No he's a Common Sensian. Something sadly lacking from our councillors.

Virginian are you on crack? These lights are not only pointless, but needlessly disruptive, expensive and dangerous.

For example, I do not know of any other junction where they have to have a SIGN which says "turn right only when arrow shows" - something which is probably on page one of the highway code. Of course you should only turn right on the filter, unless it's clear - it goes without saying! :roll: This alone shows this junction is unsafe by design.

I agree..... I saw the temportary signs too which I thought were a bit odd but I suppose they do warn people that things aren't working quite according to plan :wink:

Perhaps they should have one sign which simply says

'WARNING - These traffic lights are causing major congestion and confusion - we appologise for all the delays and problems caused but they will be removed shortly' :wink:

Virginian are you on crack? These lights are not only pointless, but needlessly disruptive, expensive and dangerous.

For example, I do not know of any other junction where they have to have a SIGN which says "turn right only when arrow shows" - something which is probably on page one of the highway code. Of course you should only turn right on the filter, unless it's clear - it goes without saying! :roll: This alone shows this junction is unsafe by design.

I may be on crack, but you and wally must be on the loopy juice or just a couple of sad sacks. You obviously dont drive much or you are one of those annoying back seat passengers, as this sign is used on lots of right turn filters. ie near to the build centre near Farnworth. Where did you get your engineering degree from wally? Probably from the University of Life!

I may be on crack, but you and wally must be on the loopy juice or just a couple of sad sacks. You obviously dont drive much or you are one of those annoying back seat passengers, as this sign is used on lots of right turn filters. ie near to the build centre near Farnworth. Where did you get your engineering degree from wally? Probably from the University of Life!

So one can only assume the junction near the build centre is also an unsafe junction if it needs these temporary orange signs to state the bleedin' obvious :roll:

Virginian.......

Loopy juice and everything else ignored :wink:

Do you honestly think that the lights at Asda Westbrook etc etc ARE NOT causing untold misery and congestion to drivers?

Do you honestly think they have been well thought out or are there any changes that you think should be made?

These questione are asked by me.. a front seat driver for for over 25 years who finds the new system and delays rather annoying to say the least... but at least it saves me money as my once weekly weekend 'trip' to the larger stores of Asda, M&S and Ikea are no longer something I dare to endure :?

Virg, I've no idea why you're trying to make apologies for these lights, they are inexcusable, and have created a problem where none existed?

The lights were allegedly installed to make the old roundabout they removed safer, within 3 months they had to add these signs for drivers due to the number of accidents that the new junction had caused; something that wasn't an issue before the redesign was implemented, and isn't an issue at most traffic lights.

Fatshaft I am not making any attempt to make excuses about the lights. They are wrong,and they are trying to rectify the situation. What gets my goat is that faceless people come on to these forums demanding people should get sacked. Why not wait until these roadworks are complete before slagging people off.

Virginian - if people aren't competent in their job to "get it right" first time then they should be sacked, particulary where large sums of money are involved - which is just the sort of thing that would happen in REAL (ie, private sector) jobs.

Instead we see the same mistakes being made over and over, money poured down the drain over and over. But no one cares because it's only the taxpayer footing the bill :roll:

If you honestly think these "improvements" will make any difference then you really are naive.

Virginian - if people aren't competent in their job to "get it right" first time then they should be sacked, particulary where large sums of money are involved - which is just the sort of thing that would happen in REAL (ie, private sector) jobs.

With a gi-normous golden hand shake. :shock::roll:

Fatshaft I am not making any attempt to make excuses about the lights. They are wrong,and they are trying to rectify the situation. What gets my goat is that faceless people come on to these forums demanding people should get sacked. Why not wait until these roadworks are complete before slagging people off.
Fair enough virginian, although i am not faceless, having spoken to and emailed the councillors mentioned in this thread.

Why are we still criticising these lights/latest attempt at improvements? Because we all know, even if they improve the situation (and it bloody well better), they still won't be as smooth as the roundabout originally replaced.

Someone needs to get a grip, bite the bullet, and admit that there was nothing wrong in the first place that a few pedestrian crossings couldn't have solved if pedestrian access was such an issue.

party because they should have been sacked after the first cock up and not been allowed anywhere near this load of so called "rectification" works.

I too have emailed the councillors concerned however I am worried that if I ever meet up with them face to face I may get arrested!!

There appears to be a certain social threshold, at where folk who "foul up" are "kicked upstairs" rather than sacked! :wink:

But maybe only within certain 'workforces' Obs :wink:

Think it's more to do with suddenly realising there's been one huge cock up but rather than admitting it and sacking the responsible dim wit they gently 'push' them in the direction of a better position elsewhere.

Lets face it.... you sack someone over gross incompetence and they will probably argue back and defend their corner but if you make the way open for them to a better paid job out of a the main (and justworthy) line of piblic fire then the employee will be thankfull and of course keep quiet :wink:

Nothing libelous there... but I was tempted :lol::wink:

In most organisations, foul ups are generally a failiure of management systems and general laxity on the part of employees generally; and whilst one person may be accountable, they may not be the sole cause. :shock: Thus, rather than admitting such "organisational" failiures, and suffering the resultant embarrassment, it tends to be preferable to promote folk out of a situation, and indeed it can prove less expensive than trying to sack them. :roll::wink: