Falling standards of Operating Staff in the Retail Industry.

algy

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the other hand most retailers today rely on part time staff at the lowest wage possible & i am sure it is hard to feel valued as an employee when you believe you are no more important to that firm than a tin of beans or the pallet the stock arrives on...as the term implies, employees today are just a human resource to be tapped for the convenience of the company.

Isn't that the only way that young people can learn about the way of the world? It's very nice to be valued, but employees take on a job to work hard and earn money for their employers. Of course they are a resource, that's why the job is there. A job is a job and the first step on the ladder. If you want something better, you work hard, learn from colleagues and bosses, show a bit of initiative and apply for other things knowing you will get a good reference from a satisfied employer. Today's employers will always have time for people with a good work record.

:shock::cry: Ohhhh I've started noticing the standards now :oops:

I was in the local bakery today and the assistant was very friendly but kept calling me 'luv' and 'luvvy' all the time... she was not really old or anything so it started to trouble me (probably about 5 to 10 years older than me).

She then picked up the carrier bag containing my goods in their little paper packets and as she placed my final item in she coughed all over it .......I didn't say anything... WHY NOT :shock:

She then asked 'is that it luv' ..... 'is what "it" ? 'I wanted to ask..and all because of this topic :lol: but I didn't.....

She then proceeded to get my change out of the till... she then coughed in her hand (the one that was holding my change :shock: ) and then handed it to me :shock::shock:

AGAIN I didn't say anything... but why not :shock: I even said 'thankyou' although I did make a mental note to 'detol' when I got home.

She said in a really chearful voice 'see yer again luvvy' and then turned to the next customer and said 'Hiya sweet what can I get you luv'

I wanted to shout ANTIBACTERIAL SPRAY AND A GAG :oops::lol:

Ooooh how I wish Algy hadn't started this topic :cry::lol:

Another nasty habit some checkout personnel and makes what the wife and myself call them FL's are that they lick their fingers to open the plastic bags and some of the staff at Sainsbury's are allways doing it, so in effect they may as well spit on your shopping before you pack it. :evil:

Diz, never thought of you being backward in coming forward. :lol::lol::lol:

I think thats what probably annoyed me so much when I got home :oops: Why on earth didn't I say something :shock:

I'm never one for a confrontation though and maybe I am just too placid for my own good :wink::lol:

Think how funny that would be..... :lol:

Can you imagine their faces if we all started taking one everytime we shopped and spraying around them :lol::lol::lol:

We could even ask them to 'sanitize their hands' before proceeding to pass out items over the beeper. Morrisons have a BOGOF on their own brand at the moment.

Infact silly thought number 3....

If you are say in morrisons/asda and you pick up one of their own brand sanitizers then asked the checkout person to use it.... would you still have to pay for it as it had only been used by a member of their staff and not for your own personal use :shock::lol:

Time for bed I think :lol:

Don't they disinfect the register panel anyway? Key boards are one of the biggest bug spreaders there is. :shock:

It's their hands that need to be disinfected, anyhow we should not generalize, some check out staff are extremely good at what they do, clean well, presented & efficient, but in my experience they are few & far between.

A very good point Evils. :shock:

Gosh now you have mentioned it I feel really sorry for them.

Thing how many different germs must be sprayed over them in the course of the day as they sit at their tills.

Maybe they should wear air fed masks to protect themselves :shock:

When I started this post my intention was not to denigrate all shop assistants but to state that in my opinion standards of behaviour of shop staff had in general deteriorated, I would like to make it known that there are some very concientious, polite and hard working shop staff in general, perhaps there may be some members of the forum who do or have served the public who would care to give some of their more unpleasant experiences in dealing with the general public.

I always feel a bit sorry for the people who call me "mate" or "pal" because I immediately realise they haven't been used to much.

In fact, of course, shop assistants SHOULD call customers "sir" or "madam" and many still do.

Main problem I find in stores these days is that, wearing a suit as I do for work, I am continually approached by members of the public who think I am the manager. Sign of the times I suppose!