Falling standards of Operating Staff in the Retail Industry.

algy

Has anyone else noticed the way that presentation standards are falling by staff in the Retail Industry, I had occasion to accompany my wife to M&S in Warrington Golden Square and while she waited in the queue to pay for her purchases I stood back and observed the appalling behaviour of two assistants serving the customers, both looked as if they had just clocked off from a *cotton mill with little or no attempt to appear smart and were carrying out a loud conversation between each other and at one point one shouted across the line of customers to an older male member of staff who had obviously finished his shift as he was being informed as to how lucky he was to be going home. This is not an isolated case as in our local Tesco at Grappenhall I am often addressed as ?mate? or ?pal?, again with conversations and remarks being bandied across the shop. As a member of the public I do not expect to be addressed as ?Sir?, but I really do think that persons serving us on the other side of the counter should show politeness and respect that we were accustomed in the past.

*No slur intended on those ladies who worked in Cotton Mill?s, they were hard working and under paid members of society and would be the first to agree that socially they would not have turned out in the same state as they went to work.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

most unusual especially at M&S. I have found that the staff at ASDA Birchwood are far friendlier than some of the Westbrook ones. Tesco staff are not interested too busy rushing around Sainsbury staff are mostly pleasant and helpful.

Don't frequent M&S very often too dear for me.

Algy, you are absolutely right. My blood pressure must reach danger level when I hear, all too often in the shops, the apalling standards of some of the staff. In my local supermarket it must be a requisite to be employed, if your knowledge of customer care and English grammar are non existant. I too don't like to be addressed as "mate" or "pal" by a young assistant. I really start to twitch when you enquire after an item, to be told "no, we've not got none"(double negative means that they have got some). The other day, while waiting at the checkout, the assistant shouted to a passing supervisor, "can you gerrus some change, I've not got no silver". The supervisor answered, "OK, I fetch yer some".

Why is the Government trying to insist that immigrants must learn the English language, when so many natives haven't a clue.

Most things tend to go over my head as it' s not like you have to spend a long time with shop assistants and the likes

but no doubt I will start noticing all these things now it has been mentioned and they will start to annoy me too :shock:

I find the word 'Pal' sort of offensive sounding though even if it's said to someone a person knows. It's the sort of thing a stroppy person would say to someone who was annoying them ie (read in a deep and menaging 'voice') 'look here pal if you dont...... I'll.......'

'Mate' is ok if it is said to a person who is know to you but certainly NOT if it is said to someone you dont know such as a customer.

A lot of people seem to use the the word 'Luv' or 'sweet' towards people they don't know either. Bet you like that though eh Victor.

But I DO get annoyed when they carry on chatting as if I wasn't there....

Oooh and a sales rep used to drive me mad whenever he called me 'princess'.... 'Byeeee Princess.. see you soon' .... NOT IF I SEE YOU FIRST 'PAL'. :lol:

Reminds me of the union days when you got called brother. I always pointed out that I didn't have a brother, only a sister.

Mate gets up my nose, it is used a lot these days and in the sport section on here.

Another pet hate is at the check-out. Do you need any help with your packing?

Answer being, if you go at my speed it's ok. Go to fast and I leave it all and walk out. It's NOT an Olympic sport.

Lidl's is one of the worst as they have to scan so many items per minute.

STUPID idea. They then have to wait until the stuff is moved. Although I have been told that you are supposed to out the stuff back in the trolley and pack it afterwards. :roll:

the worse one i came across was a colleague of mine who greeted you with "hello matey" arrgh.

when i worked in a shop for a year i always went out of my way to be polite to the customers no matter how argumentative or obnoxious they were (and there were a few) my usual form of greeting was "owdo" or occasionally a good morning/afternoon/evening as the occasion demanded.

i must say that i have never been to lidle but it sound very much like aldi when it comes to scanning the goods. it is a case of scrape them into the trolley as fast as you can to try and keep up. mind you they only ever seem to have one till operating and only call for a second when the queue starts to wind back around the shop. despite that the staff are all friendly and willing to help with any queries you may have.

On the other hand, i suppose this species of shop assistant & "their like" should be obliged to be overjoyed to serve multitudes customers ten minutes before closing time when said customers have had all day to shop.As for poor language skills ,just think back to our school days , things haven't changed that much & maybe it is more noticeable these days because the retail sector is much bigger than in days of old when many businesses were family run. After all most of these people would probably be factory workers in the "good old days" & omitting to tug one's forelock is no longer a flogging offence. At least these people are working,get over yourselves...

I agree, Algy, but the fault is with the companies who are not providing sufficiently rigorous training for those youngsters who are not equipped (mostly) to deal politely with people on leaving school. Poor grammar and speech is copied from parents first and then teachers, many of whom are ill equipped to do the job properly.

I totally agree. It's a long time since I left school but I remember the teachers at the time drumming good manners into us. Most of them corrected us if we used poor grammer. I was brought up in Howley and my parents had very little but they also made sure that I treated people with respect and didn't use "slang" words.

Unfortunately, a lot of parents, teachers and employers attach little importance to standards these days.

obs, I agree entirely, and fervently believe that the reason for children today using swear words in their normal vocabulary is due to their parent/parents and indeed grandparents having used those words as part of the normal conversation in the family environment, consequently those youngsters do not associate those words as being offensive to anyone, also television has a lot answer for, as most dramas and so called live comedy programms also incorporate foul language into their spoken agenda.

Although I cannot tolerate bad language in my home environment, I have always maintained that the sooner society accepts what we see as swearing into the normal english language the sooner it becomes non-offensive to the ear, needless to say my wife has never agreed with me on that point, but afraid, for future generations it is a case of "If you cannot beat them, join them".

Don't give up Algy; we expect kids to at least learn to read, write and add up; and I don't think it's asking too much to expect that they are also articulate. We don't have a good record as a Country for learning foreign languages, and now our own language appears to be at risk! :wink:

Yes i agree with previous posts on this subject & what i was trying to imply is that standards have slipped in the forty odd years since i left school particularly in terms of respect for others, manners & basic education standards. Let us not forget how much education standards have plummeted in recent years ,so much that OFSTED was introduced & also good schooling as much as home life affects formative behaviour. On the other hand most retailers today rely on part time staff at the lowest wage possible & i am sure it is hard to feel valued as an employee when you believe you are no more important to that firm than a tin of beans or the pallet the stock arrives on...as the term implies, employees today are just a human resource to be tapped for the convenience of the company.