Chewing gum

Lucy

Chewing gum is most uncool..I can't see any reason why it isn't banned...I can think of plenty of reasons why it should..Alex Ferguson who litters the pitch with his gum and spit at the final whistle of every match...also Sam Allardyce who looks like the back end of a cow when he's chewing gum.

Chewing gum is low-class.

You've forgot the pavement pizzas and the river of life! :wink:

Erm, Ok, although I daren't ask what the River of life is, not what I think it is, is it?

Can't believe that someone from Warrington who tries to give the impression that they are an educated person does not know what the River of life is :?:?:?:roll:

Erm, well I have never heard the phrase before so how can that be my doing, genuinely never ever heard it before, I shall go round now and chastise eveyone I've ever met for not usign the phrase and so denying me the information shall I ????????

And what on EARTH do you mean by "tries to give the impression of being well educated" where in the name of whatever do you get that from?

Either you "think" I am well educated and have an issue with that, erm why?

Or you think I try to come across as something I'm not but either way you are way off.

I am as honest as the day is long on this forum, and have been told off and unpopular because of it on occassions but I have no airs and graces, I am one of the most down to earth people you could ever meet and have every confidence in making that statement.

To be quite honest I am absolutely baffled you've made such a comment :?

Last year I was in some main street in Liverpool and the amount of chewing gum on the pavements had to be seen to be believed, far worse than Warrington. I do chew gum very occasionally but I can honestly say that I?ve never in my life spat it onto the floor.

As regards Lucy?s comments re the town centre, I can imagine that gum will adhere to some surfaces more than others and that may well account for it?s absence there.

Bill :)

Tilly isn't missing much.

It never gets mentioned and hardly surprising than many know what it is at all?

Does the water still flow?

The work done at GREAT expense by the Italians is very uncomfortable to walk on.

Along with the Skittles and the Pyramid, a waste of money.

does it get a mention in the Tourist literature? :roll:

At the risk of delighting some, will someone tell me what the River of life is????? Please note I do not and rarely have visited the town centre other than on a needs must basis when I am a woman on a mission, let no one get in my way, I probably scowl!!! I go for what I've gone for and come away, I certainly don't stroll round in a casual manner taking the scenary and atmosphere both of which there are none ( how is my grammer and SP??).

So do please tell what on earth is it?

Hello Tilly

Sorry I have been some time responding. Thank you also for your support. I find it quite annoying the way some people on here take nothing seriously. I asked quite reasonable questions about a serious issue - the chewing gum in the street - and then find that rather than offering support, the majority of posters simply treat it as a joke. Then when I protest I am accused of being "stuck up." Apparently largely because I live in Lymm.

I would post much more frequently but for the idiotic one-line "jokes" that seem to be the norm.

You, however, took the subject seriously.

As for the River of Life, I am surprised you hadn't heard of it. Doubtless you now know all there is to know, but as someone else said, you haven't missed much!

Thanks also to Bill, who also made a useful contribution. And Safeway, I quite agree with you too! Chewing gum is most "uncool"

Lucy

I walked through town the other day and having read this post, I made a point of checking out the gum situation and to be honest there was hardly any. I could see some on the black tarmac surfaces of the road but the pavements seemed clear?

Maybe they?ve had a clean up but all in all I was very surprised at the lack of it.

Lucy

I only walked down Bridge St as far as Rylands St so maybe its worse further down?

Either way, it?s a million times better than what I saw in Liverpool. and by the way, I initially thought it was seagull poo there.

Since I retired I rarely visit the town centre but I used to walk up Bridge St most days when I was working. The chewing gum problem was very noticeable then, it was almost like walking on a mosaic but a lot less pretty.

I used to see smokers, outside the shops or on the benches, having a quick "drag" and I often saw fag-ends dropped on the pavement but these were soon picked up by the litter-pickers with the yellow bins. They had no chance with the grey splats peppering every inch of pavement - they were like concrete.

I must admit to always being a little bemused by the gum-droppings. For them to be squashed flat, as they always were, someone or something must have stood on them so why didn't the squasher get stuck? I have, to my horror, stood on freshly disgorged gum in the past and spent miserable minutes plodging like a fly on a pizza in an effort to get rid of the disgusting stuff. I invariably had to go to the edge of the kerb and paw the ground like a circus horse to get it off my shoe. Why are the pavements full of it and not the gutters?

I wonder about the pigeons too. Yes I know they're rats-with-wings but I quite like them and they do clean up a lot of mess, particularly outside MacD's and the chip shops. Have you ever seen a pigeon with its beak glued up by someone's discarded gum? It must happen but I haven't witnessed it.

We've had the Smoking Ban and all the smokers meekly complied and went out into the pneumonia-inducing night air to get their fix. Is it time for the big Chewing Gum ban? Should there be little corales, furnished with spitoons, for the chewing addicts? Please?

Good idea Kate. Although it would be much better if we could educate people to realise that chewing gum is just another of those things which we don't need at all. And if we can't do that, then educate people not to drop it in the street. But I fear that as the majority people seemed to be so inadequate when it comes to self discipline, we'd better go back to your idea.