Energy Saving Light Bulbs ?????

Dizzy

had quick look and found this page but has only three colours as such as well as blacklights. if you do a uk search for energy saving lightbulbs you can find led coloured ones but they tend to be for the likes of garden decoration but could be used for mood lighting.

http://www.lightbulbs-direct.com/category/160/coloured-helix-18w/

those spiral ones are not bad have three in my yard to light it up when i am on until ten at night.

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/LightingForHome/Products/

Because energy saving bulbs tend to be fluorescent, they will produce a white light in one variant or another, warm white, white, cool white. To get a colour they can be sprayed with a colour....I'm told :wink: or in the case of a tube, have a coloured sleeve over them....or spray painted.....I'm told :wink:

http://www.covershield.co.uk/lamp%20colours.htm

These type of lamps are fine if you want to turn on the switch and then wait 30 seconds for the light to come through!!

Never found a good alternative for incandescent lamps yet and I have tried all types. CCFL, LED GU10's and none are any good.

Apparently in Austrailia, the incandescent ones have been outlawed from sale! lets hope the government don't start getting any daft ideas over here

Oops sorry PJ, Baz and Paul...... didn't read your sensible replies before I replied as I was laughing too much at Wolfies.

Paul.... what sort of paint can I use to change the colour any idea. I might try it as what's the worse that can happen :shock: Think the sleeves from the link you gave are a bit big for my small bulbs though.

BazJ... the slight delay doesn't really bother me but not sure I'll stick to having them in most rooms becasue of the dismal feeling of greyish white :cry:

PJ... Must use that as an arguement in my defense when my other half once again moans at me for leaving the lights on :D

Personally I think all these bulbs are pretty awful and make any room feel cold and uninviting. I have dimmers on quite a few of my lights that allows me to choose how much light and energy I use but you just can?t use these new things with them, it?s either cold sterile light or total blackness!

I seem to recall tests carried out some time back proved that the actual type and colour of the light had a direct influence on efficiency and the general feeling of well being of workers. The report said that while energy savings were easy to calculate, the hidden losses were complex and may well outweigh the savings. Course the home and workplace are completely different places but I think the theory hold good for both.

Interesting stuff!

Bill :)

Couldn't agree more Bill.

Surely there must be a simple way of making the energy efficient bulbs more 'homely' and then more people would use them.

It's what the government and green bods keep saying we should all use but I guess the energy companies hope we dont :wink:

So the energy comanies must rule the country after all 8):wink:

Dismayed

To hell with the greens, I pay for the electricity I use and if I decide I prefer to pay more for a better standard of lighting then that should be my prerogative. I do have a couple of these dreadful things, both provided free of charge by my electricity supplier thus blowing your theory! :lol:

As for making them a different colour, well given their vast resources and the fact that nobody actually likes the light quality, if they could have done it we?d have had it by now that?s for sure. Perhaps I should quit the taxi business and develop some multi-spectral technology that emulates incandescent light rather than trying to make daylight. 8)

Paul.... what sort of paint can I use to change the colour any idea. I might try it as what's the worse that can happen :shock:

When I was in the electrical wholesaling business we used to use ordinary car paint in spray cans, the type you can get from Halfords etc. We used to spray up 15watt pygmy bulbs which got quite warm and there were no problems.....well none that we were ever told about....mind you I dont think there was as much H & S legislation then. :wink:

Morrisons have got a special offer on Phillips energy savers, think they are 39p so not going to cost a fortune to give it a try.

PS The sleeve link I gave are just for fluorescent tubes.

Dismayed

To hell with the greens, I pay for the electricity I use and if I decide I prefer to pay more for a better standard of lighting then that should be my prerogative. I do have a couple of these dreadful things, both provided free of charge by my electricity supplier thus blowing your theory! :lol:

Thought the whole point of them was to help us all reduce our electricity bills by lowering our energy consumption.

I've not got any from my electricity supplier... but my elderly mother-in-law got a couple of free ones and gave them to me :wink:

Suppose they have to be seen to be 'trying' to help :wink: but I still think they could make them glow nicer if they wanted too :wink:

:?: do you mean that the light wont actually pass through any colour of car paint even if its sprayed on lightly :cry:

I was hoping to try and create a more ambient and subble glow from my boring energy saving bulbs rather than directing areas of light through unpainted areas.

Guess I might be reverting to the old fashioned bulbs after all then.

In fact I think I'll email all the manufacturers and ask them why they have not come up with anything better yet and the reasons etc.... no point in me just whinging about it on here eh :D:wink:

I'll let you know if I ever get a reply 8)