Painter fuming over fine for smoking in own van

Mary

A painter and decorator has been fined for breaching Britain's smoking ban -- by puffing on a cigarette in his own van, he said Friday.

Gordon Williams, 58, of Llanafan in west Wales, was told by officials that his van was classed as a workplace and so fell foul of the ban, brought in last year to cover enclosed public places but not private areas.

He was fined 30 pounds, even though he says he was not working and was on the way to buy his wife some teabags at the time.

"I appreciate that a driver of a coach or a bus can't smoke at the wheel because obviously, that is the law of the land," he said.

"Of course, there are tools and things in the van but a barrister would carry about documents in a briefcase in his own car -- this is no different to my mind."

Ceredigion County Council, which imposed the fine, said it would be inappropriate to comment on individual cases.

:roll::roll:

Whilst I'm no lawyer: I suspect this guy has a case. :shock: They claimed his van was "his place of work" and thus fell within the terms of the legislation. :? The guy is a painter and decorator, which means his "place of work" is the homes/premises where he is actively employed to redecorate/paint, his van being merely a means of transport TO that place of work. :shock: What's clearly happened here, is that because of the ovine compliant nature of the British public, this law is being largely conformed with; thus the "smoke police" are really having to stretch a point to find any offenders - thus this act of desperation. :wink:

I use my own car for work (I'm a sales rep) & can't smoke in the car as the rules say that you can't if the vehicle is being used for business by more than one person, even if not at the same time or all of the time.

What could have far more wide-ranging implications is whether the van was being used for business purposes or not. In my opinion (working for an insurance co) private use means NOTHING connected with his work & I don't believe the man is legally insured driving to houses / shops etc when in order to conduct his business.

My car is only insured for private use but that does cover me for driving to my place of work and back. My place of work is at the same address each day.... his place of work just happens to be at different addresses everyday.

So what's the difference ?

I don't smoke but I used to. Unlike many "reformed" smokers I don't have an anti-smoking crusade and, for one thing, I think the ban on smoking in pubs is dreadful and contravenes Human Rights legislation.

It wouldn't be so bad if tobacco was an illegal substance but it isn't and it won't be because of the ?millions of revenue it generates. The smoking bans are just yet another way to raise money from the poor nicotine addicts.

Banning smoking in vehicles because they are used for work purposes is just ridiculous. There's no one in there with the smoker to be "contaminated" by the smoke so what's the problem? If the windows are open the smoke isn't going to linger so it can't harm anyone but the smoker.

Maybe rather than targeting grown ups for smoking alone in their own company vehicles, or even gown ups who happen to share vehicles (lets face it you could refuse to share ) it may be more sensible to.....

TARGET bloody stupid PARENTS/careres/or whoever they are who SMOKE in their cars when their KIDS are in there too !!!

Sorry..... I've just seen two adults happily smoking in a car, windows almost shut, with 2/3 little kids sat in the back and it really really annoyed me :evil:

And before anyone has a go at me I do smoke... although I wish I didn't :cry:

Well they shouldn't !!!!!

Adults can speak up for themselves if they dont like people smoking around them or they can just choose to vacate the area ..... kids on the other hand do not have that choice and they either grow up thinking it's normal or just have to put up with it wether they like it or not.... cos mummy and daddy say so :evil::cry:

Of course not Obs... I was just having a late night rant :D:wink:

I guess the point I was trying to make (in a somewhat odd way :? ) is what right have they got to tell a bloke, travelling in his OWN van for his OWN business needs that he can't smoke in it....

Rules being taken out of all proportion by stupid power freaks if you ask me :wink:

So what are you proposing? :? Home inspections by the smoke police? :wink:

I would. Every house should have an annual visit by the smoke police and if they have kids and they detect residual levels of smoke inside the house; they should be evicted and all their possessions burnt. And the kids taken away and, and, and.....

I would. Every house should have an annual visit by the smoke police and if they have kids and they detect residual levels of smoke inside the house; they should be evicted and all their possessions burnt. And the kids taken away and, and, and.....

Ha Ha HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa Ha HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa Ha HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa Ha HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa Ha HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa oh oh oh Ha Ha HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa.

Hilarious.:D:D:D just the thought

So what are you proposing? :? Home inspections by the smoke police? :wink:

:lol::lol::lol: As I've already said do smoke but never in the house. However as my son is now in his early teens I guess we are now coming upto the 'Kevin' stage...... in which case I may have no alternative than to start smoking indoors in the hope that the smoke police change their rules and take me away for a while instead :D:P

Don't believe you.... your avitar image shows you are lacking in hair so you can't be a real 'Kevin' :P:lol:

Saying that your shoulders do look a little low and angled, which would enable you to swing your arms in a free and 'kevin like' motion when needed :P

I always had you down to be either a Bob, Andrew or Brian.... but definately never a Kevin :oops:

As for trusting you :shock: Of course I do after all you are a sailor?? who shares your own fingernail deposits and dead skin in the pies you make :shock: