Volcano -

Observer II

There’s not much you can do about volcanoes but from what I’ve read, 25% of the world’s CO2 emissions come from wildfires which is staggering.  It’s not that surprising though when you consider how long these things can go on for and the primitive methods that we use to fight the fires.

A couple of years back I was in Oregon amidst numerous forest fires. The smoke went on for hundreds of miles with people needing to wear smoke masks. Then we see news footage showing fire fighters hopelessly trying to beat down flames with paddles and getting nowhere. Much of the time the terrain was too difficult to work in, so the fires were simply left to burn. A couple of days later I was crossing the Mojave Desert and saw literally hundreds of perfectly good airliners from all over the world just sitting in mothballs and now I’m wondering why these couldn’t be used as some kind of international firefighting fleet.

25% of the world’s CO2 emissions .... hundreds of perfectly good airliners in mothballs....    Food for thought.

Bill 😊

14 hours ago, Observer II said:

Why would any sane person go near an active volcano ?     While on the subject;  what will Greta do about the tons of toxic gas being emitted from the one in NZ ?

Why do anything, hide behind the sofa but risk is smal far more likely to die crossing the road to the hotel.

2 hours ago, Bill said:

There’s not much you can do about volcanoes but from what I’ve read, 25% of the world’s CO2 emissions come from wildfires which is staggering.  It’s not that surprising though when you consider how long these things can go on for and the primitive methods that we use to fight the fires.

A couple of years back I was in Oregon amidst numerous forest fires. The smoke went on for hundreds of miles with people needing to wear smoke masks. Then we see news footage showing fire fighters hopelessly trying to beat down flames with paddles and getting nowhere. Much of the time the terrain was too difficult to work in, so the fires were simply left to burn. A couple of days later I was crossing the Mojave Desert and saw literally hundreds of perfectly good airliners from all over the world just sitting in mothballs and now I’m wondering why these couldn’t be used as some kind of international firefighting fleet.

25% of the world’s CO2 emissions .... hundreds of perfectly good airliners in mothballs....    Food for thought.

Bill 😊

I think converting and maintaining the old planes would be far to expensive but I wonder why they do not use JCBs to create a fire wall? Although some fire are very remote.

Milky

Converting a hundred 747s into water bombing takers that could be deployed at short notice to anywhere in the world might well cost a billion pounds, but that’s absolute peanuts compared to what’s spent globally trying to reduce CO2.

The problem as I see it is that when it comes to firefighting services it’s all done at a local level where resources are limited, and the focus is wholly on protecting local people and their properties. The sheer scale of some of these fires makes them so dangerous that they become impossible to control so they’re just left to burn themselves out often taking months. One or two water bombing planes make for good telly viewing but on the big fires you might as well just pee on it for what good it does. But call in International rescue with a whole fleet of carpet-bombing planes and the major fires could be under control in no time, saving lives, properties and most importantly cutting out a major source of pollution.

Bill :)

In modern times it is surprising that these countries liable to forest fires have not come up with a water pipe & hydrant network to assist in the problem. They seem to have an idea which areas are vulnerable & the cost would be comparatively cheap.

On the other hand ,however, scorched earth is one of nature's ways of stimulating new plant growth.

On 12/12/2019 at 4:11 PM, Bill said:

Milky

Converting a hundred 747s into water bombing takers that could be deployed at short notice to anywhere in the world might well cost a billion pounds, but that’s absolute peanuts compared to what’s spent globally trying to reduce CO2.

The problem as I see it is that when it comes to firefighting services it’s all done at a local level where resources are limited, and the focus is wholly on protecting local people and their properties. The sheer scale of some of these fires makes them so dangerous that they become impossible to control so they’re just left to burn themselves out often taking months. One or two water bombing planes make for good telly viewing but on the big fires you might as well just pee on it for what good it does. But call in International rescue with a whole fleet of carpet-bombing planes and the major fires could be under control in no time, saving lives, properties and most importantly cutting out a major source of pollution.

Bill :)

All sounds well and good Bill and, while it might only cost a few £Billion to convert your fleet of planes, how many £Billions would have to be wasted maintaining them and employing the crews for all the months they are sitting unused?

The £Billions wasted on the futile efforts to control the uncontrollable climate by depriving the earth of one of its resources, CO2, are the subject of many more debates. 😉

What i can't understand is the anger that they have not recovered the bodies left on the volcanic island.

Given the cost of a funeral, free cremation is a saving surely....🤔.....now there is an idea. Wonder if cremation by volcano would be a viable option for a funeral plan? ...one wartime bomber kitted out to carry coffins, slow flight over volcano, bombs away, a dozen at a time with a cost of say £1000 per, £12000 a trip might give the dragons a bell see if anybody interested..🥴