Website speed .. is it  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Website speed .. is it

• very slow
    • slow
    • same
    • faster

Oooh it's catching.

My automatic 'phishing filter' has gone into overdrive twice when I have tried to access threads on the forum causing the link page to to seemingly hang whilst the filter looks for whatever it is it thinks it's looking for.

It's never done that before.... :shock:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing has changed, except the site itself. Which would lead me to believe its something in the site - possibly phising filters in IE, which is why I asked what browser and any AV, Firewall or Security software people are using - just in case it turns out to be a common denominator like this - which could have been introduced with the new site.

It could quite easily be something like AOL blocking/filtering, also.

Without any traceroutes, we can not look into any routing issues further.

Bill - could you do a trace route from a computer that is accessing the site, and answer the specition questions listed above?

Also, I did notice that some people are using some very low specification computers, which could explain some slow loading of image, but definately to this extent.

The WWW site has a very large number of images on the site due to the number of adverts and sponsors, which will take a while to download. Its approx 400k for the home page, which will take approx 57 seconds to download on a dial up connection and 8 to 10 seconds on 512k Broadband (depending on the overheads).

Thanks

Bill

Bill

I'm doing the rounds of some of my customers in the Glasgow area just now but I'll be back in the office hopefully tomorrrow. All the machines at my office tend to be less than a year old and use internet explorer 7

The machine I'm on in this particular office is an oldie that's has never been on the internet until yesterday and it's very fast but still running explorer 6.

My collegue has just suggested that there has been a lot of Microsoft security updates in recent weeks and that may be one possible explanation.

I'll try from other offices during the day because unless I can get a slow one, I can't check if using a direct IP will make any difference.

Got to say though I've checked a whole raft of sites and they don't exhibit the same problem?

Bill :)

Right that's that theory blown. This is at the same office but on a brand new Vista machine IE7 with all the latest security updates installed and again it's still fast.

I'm due at two more offices today I'll repeat the tests if possible.

bill :)

Right that's that theory blown. This is at the same office but on a brand new Vista machine IE7 with all the latest security updates installed and again it's still fast.

I'm due at two more offices today I'll repeat the tests if possible.

bill :)

I am confident the two Bills will get to the bottom of this annoying problem - although from my own experience no two machines or websites perform exactly the same.

Mr Green, thank you for you persistance.

No this is a different office today and there's no problem here. I've tried both IE6 and IE7 with and without the latest Microsoft security updates and it's still fast. I'm short staffed back at the Warrington office but if possible I'll see if I can get Matthew to log on as me and do some tests for you.

Well Matthew ended up being a bit busy today but he did took a look and concluded there's a problem :roll: (think we knew that much) He said that given tracert dosn't flag up anything abnormal on either a fast or slow system, the fault must be further in than tracert allows.

I should be back on Friday and able to do more but in the mean while, if Bill needs to take a look from the other end, my office is only down the road and he's very welcome to do any tests from there.

Right that's mi lot here. Off now to Loch Lomond but there's no broadband there (they only got electricity last year :lol: )

Gary

Dont get too excited it's still a lot slower than most sites but at least it's now workable.

Before this, it was so slow that most people experiancing this extreem slowness problem would simply assume the site was down and click on some other site.

Some improvment but a bit more tweeking needed.

edit 11:30 Just as slow as ever now! :(

edit 3:15 pm fast again!