Korea

It would deter normal people Obs, But the question of normality goes out the window when you are talking about North Korea, It is a very indoctrinated society, some over their might think they can win, Its nearly as frightening as when Ronald McDonald was in the White House, That guy spoke to God :blink: And had is finger on the button

If I was you Baz, I would stop thinking as it obviously over taxes your brain :lol:  :wink:

Most people in North Korea probably barter, and would not know what free trade and free movement of labour were :lol:

with regards to the last part of your post: well aren't they the lucky ones!!

... or rather from a reciprocal trade arrangement - raw materials from the colonies - convertion into manufactured goods in the "workshop of the world" - then exported - all with added value and added profit at each stage. This arrangement was ditched when we entered the EU.

It was ditched long before that Obs, As the leader of the Empire we made the Countries within it buy off us, they had no choice, thats what made us the work shop of the World, and when we had to compete, the fat Bosses did not know how to and failed. The Empire was a closed market.

:lol: nice one Baz!  Don't know what all the panic is about Kije: IF the N/Koreans did start launching nukes they'd be quickly vapourised, OK their would be a radiation clean up problem, but the Japs are used to that now.  All this is about, is basically a cry for help N/Korean style; by winding everyone up to the point of panic, then talks to relieve the pressure of economic sanctions on them - and it seems to have worked.

So Obs , the vision i now have is that the nice cuddly Kim Jong Un is really the leader of a Greenpeace radical splinter group  & he is using a form of brinksmanship to make the rest of the world wake up to the danger of nuclear weapons. 

I think you are all pointing the finger at the wrong person. The power behind the man is his aunt, Kim Kyong-hui, and her husband, Jang Sung-taek, who were chosen by his father, Kim Jong-il, to transform him into a figurehead with a reputation for strong military tactics who is able to handle an international crisis.
Actually, Kim Jong Un is a thicko, a failed student only interested in baseball and computer games.

Having read all of the above I think it confirms to me how little our forum members actually know about the nuclear threat North Korea is to us.

Japan is an easy target (that is obvious) and ballistic missiles from N. Korea are within reach of both Europe and even mainland America. The question I would like to ask (and Evil Sid I would like a serious answer), is do you think that we have enough fire power to deal with this potentially global conflict given that Cameron has disposed of most of our Armed Forces?

Hey Rock, forget Cameron, forget ICBMs reaching Blighty, forget ground troops (unless they're checking under lorries at Dover!) - the first sign of a N/Korean launch and the Yanks will vapourise them - will leave a bit of clean up job of course, but the Japs are expert at that by now. As I said, just a cry for help from the nutters.

America can't  even think of nuking anyone....the strength  of  the  nuclear deterrent  depends on all parties having  the same respect for the red button & knowing the consequences  of  a nuclear attack...where this situation falls down is because  we are dealing with a irrational state that wants to be a superpower.

America can't  even think of nuking anyone....the strength  of  the  nuclear deterrent  depends on all parties having  the same respect for the red button & knowing the consequences  of  a nuclear attack...where this situation falls down is because  we are dealing with a irrational state that wants to be a superpower.

Davy, I would have agreed with you 24 hrs ago, however the bombs in Boston place a slightly different slant on the world situation and although it's highly unlikely that NK had anything to do with it the americans become very twitchy when attacked in their own backyard, more so than us brits, when injured they are more likely to act irrationally and lash out at anyone posing a seriouse threat.

The US has a vast array of weaponry and intelligence gathering technology at it's disposal, I'm sure any offensive move  by N/Korean strategic assets, against the US or it's allies, will receive an immediate and proportionate response. The NKs know this and know it would be suicidal - all this is a game of bluff intended to gain aid to support a starving population in what is essentially a giant Gulag.

It looks as if John Shouty-man Sweeney   has scared them on his trip with the LSE  :P

From the BBC today

"North Korea has said it is ready to talk if UN sanctions against it are withdrawn and the US and South Korea put an end to joint military drills.

The conditions for dialogue were outlined in a statement from the North's National Defence Commission and carried on official news agency KCNA.

But South Korea's Foreign Ministry brushed off the North's demands, calling them "incomprehensible........"