Tories to dump Human Rights Act, says minister.

algy

The popularity of such a move with the unthinking herd is the word "European" associated with the treaty connected with it and tabloids tying it in with the EU , they are not the same thing.

As I understand it dumping this legislation would put us in the same category as Belarus, not a good prospect.

There are occasions when decisions related to this seem ludicrous, as there are with many other decisions. That is the price we pay for keeping the government from overstepping the mark. Rights should be observed when they are inconvenient as well as when they fit in with the agenda of the Government.

The issue is one of National Sovereignty, whether the Government WE elect can legislate on matters affecting it's population.  Similarly, we now have a "Supreme Court" in the UK, available for legal appeals arising.  We could of course, pay lip service to the ECHR like Russia, whilst ignoring any inconvenient rulings it may make - in which case Quatada and co would now be in Jordan.

The issue is one of National Sovereignty, whether the Government WE elect can legislate on matters affecting it's population.  Similarly, we now have a "Supreme Court" in the UK, available for legal appeals arising.  We could of course, pay lip service to the ECHR like Russia, whilst ignoring any inconvenient rulings it may make - in which case Quatada and co would now be in Jordan.

So not just follow the example of Belarus but have the UK act like Putin's Russia - no thank-you.

The Human Rights Act is UK legislation - so the notion of sovereignty is a red herring.

Let's face it , the likes of Theresa May would resent any court, including the Supreme Court, going against what she wanted - regardless of how home-grown the legislation.

as I posted elsewhere.... if criminals lost their rights to human rights until they have served their sentence there would not be such hostility towards the human rights act.... the problem is that the act is seen as a "criminals charter" and is so often seen as being used by criminals and terrorists to either escape justice, the effects of justice or the consequences of their crimes and deeds...

A simple ammedment would stop all this nonsense of illegal immigrants being granted right to stay by citing the right to a family life.... even though in one case the said illegal immigrant had mown down and killed a young girl while the immigrant driving illegally.... therein lies the problem and the problem the general populous has with the HR act and the ECHR

• Upvote 2

as I posted elsewhere.... if criminals lost their rights to human rights until they have served their sentence there would not be such hostility towards the human rights act.... the problem is that the act is seen as a "criminals charter" and is so often seen as being used by criminals and terrorists to either escape justice, the effects of justice or the consequences of their crimes and deeds...

A simple ammedment would stop all this nonsense of illegal immigrants being granted right to stay by citing the right to a family life.... even though in one case the said illegal immigrant had mown down and killed a young girl while the immigrant driving illegally.... therein lies the problem and the problem the general populous has with the HR act and the ECHR

Which rights, under the Human Rights Act, that criminals currently have would you want them to lose?

Which rights, under the Human Rights Act, that criminals currently have would you want them to lose?

criminals should lose all of their human rights once convicted of a crime and lose them until such time as their sentence is complete.....

so now you are going to come back with some smart comments about torture and such like I guess seeing as you asked such an obviously loaded question?

criminals should lose all of their human rights once convicted of a crime and lose them until such time as their sentence is complete.....

so now you are going to come back with some smart comments about torture and such like I guess seeing as you asked such an obviously loaded question?

No I'll give you the chance to actually look up what those rights, under the act, are first

" The HRA requires serious offences like murder, terrorism and rape to be investigated by the police, and requires the State to take practical steps to protect people whose rights are threatened by others. The Act specifically states that those suspected of or convicted of crimes can be deprived of their liberty. Human rights law has given bereaved relatives the right to an independent public investigation into the circumstances surrounding the death of their loved ones, and the right to be involved in the investigation."

Well the last test case, was the right for prisoners to vote!  It was a Tory MP who "wrote" the EHRC, but in a climate of having just defeated Nazism and the advent of a cold war with the USSSR; it's clear intention being to protect the rights of individual citizens against abuse by the State; NOT to dole out concessions to criminals, terrorists or illegal immigrants.

No I'll give you the chance to actually look up what those rights, under the act, are first

No... I said that criminals should not have any human rights.... which bit of should not do you not understand Nick? Question too hard for you?

That is my opinion and as the victim of the "ultimate" crime happening to my nearest and dearest i ALSO BELIEVE IN CAPITAL PUNISHMENT (AND ALWAYS HAVE DONE BY THE WAY)  

I believe that murderers and child rapists etc should be exectuted and if this country ever gets the balls back to do it I would love to apply for the job of chief executioner..... now take your liberal softy nonsense away from me..... it makes my skin crawl that people can still stick up for scum in this day and age

The problem is, we've had a generation brought up on "their rights", but without any reference to their responsibilities. Now it seems to me, that every citizen should enjoy basic rights under the law, providing they comply with their responsibilty to obey that law.  The last right afforded to every citizen, is the right of a fair trial and to be tried by a jury of one's peers.  However, once convicted, it would seem reasonable that those "rights" cease for the period of the sentence. In the case of immigrants, by definition they are non-citzens; and if we ever begin to run our own Country again; would be excluded from HR considerations.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I the event of a referendem on the re-introduction of capital punishment, I'm pretty certain that the outcome would be for its return and my 'X' would definitely be in the 'YES' box, if a dog mauls or kills a person it is put down, why should it be any different for humans who are sopposed to have a superior thought process, although with certain individuals It appears not to be so.

• Upvote 1

The last right afforded to every citizen, is the right of a fair trial and to be tried by a jury of one's peers. 

I thought the last right was when some priest gives vicarious atonements to dying person.

On a serious note, I'm not aut fait on the british government dropping human rights. Are they talking of dropping human rights completely or just those dreamt up and enforced by the european courts?

There must be some rights to protect innocent people but when someone commits a crime and is incaserated that person should lose all rights. Especially foreign criminals who flee their own country to avoid punishment for their crimes and end up in the uk still committing crimes there. Bugger he can't be deported because he owns a cat in the uk or because he is entitled to a family life. If he has a family in the uk and they don't agree to him being torn away from them and deported let them go with him! And if his life would be endangered by returning him back to his own country then tough shit! He should have behaved himself in accordance to the laws of his own country instead of being a bad boy.

It is a pity that Baz (unsurprisingly in his case) can't get over macho posturing when it comes to our rights (those that protect all of us - criminal or not) .

Some of those rights that Baz would see jettisoned  are;

Prohibition of torture - yes Baz I am against people being tortured - I suggest you may need therapy if you are in favour of being arbitrarily subjected to physical pain.

The right to a fair trial - so are you in favour of someone, once convicted of one offence, being automatically receiving additional prison sentences for any further alleged offences, without the convenience of being tried?

Freedom of thought, religion and belief - for example authorities forbidding a Muslim to perform his prayers or having the choice to eat food against his belief or starve.

Lack of discrimination - is it okay for individuals to be singled out for special treatment (perhaps even the torture that you are appear to be in favour of)_ based on their race or because their Islamic or Jewish faith ?

No discrimination

Algy I can see where your coming from, but what happens if the State gets it wrong and convicts and kills the wrong person, does the family of that person get justice, can they take the executioner to court and expect the death sentence. Or just a sorry, Sadly the UK courts do get it wrong . Look at the Birmingham 6, just one example.