First back to back defeats for nearly two years

Gary

It seems we had no answer to Saints basic style of rugby . I think maybe our boys should spend a bit longer on the training pitch in future & maybe the coaches could come up with some moves  that  might break down opposing defences.

Very poor showing from the mighty Wire against the poorest St. Helens side I've ever seen. The main problem last night was the pedestrian defensive line for the Wire compared with the *up an at 'em* from the scousers...Wire's first receiver at the play the ball had two or three scousers in his face as soon as he received the ball, admittedly the scousers were stretching the offside rule to breaking point. In comparison Saints first receiver almost had time for a cup of tea and a fag before he contemplated his next move. A dumb move is to attempt an impossible interception when the ball is just patted to the ground which in these days of uncontested scrums just hands over possession to the opposition. This happened twice last night, both times resulting in a try to the scousers.We still have forwards who aren't the required standard to compete at the very top. I just can't see the point in having Mick Monaghan and Mickey Higham on the pitch at the same time bearing in mind they represent one third of the pack.Neither of them are what you may call giants, in fact having stood next to Higham just recently I couldn't believe how small he is and I'm no giant.A couple of redeeming features from last night was the return of Chris Bridge, considering he hasn't played for months he did well to be the best of the backs.He showed a tremendous burst of pace for his first try which seems to say the knee operation went well. The other feature was the play of Ben Currie...He's only 18 and already he looks the real deal....But for the rest it was a sorry tale of woe...Could it be we have gone just a season too long with the *Dad's Army team?*....One things for sure the next close season will have to be a complete re-building of the team...A mix of our best youngsters and several old heads....but not TOO old....We've got enough of those already.

This result was no surprise to any old 'wire' supporter, it was a foregone conclusion.  I've seen it a hundred times or more with Saints, the routine losses with the occasional surprise win is how the relationship has been for sixty years.  As was aptly said, no need to panic.

As for attacking options to practice, there are really only three :  Slick passing along the line to create the overlap, an elusive and creative 'acting' halfback at the  play the ball and the most difficult but effective, releasing the ball (at speed) in the tackle.   Mike Nicholas, an old time second row, was a master at squeezing his arms and shoulders clear as he was falling and throwing a perfect pass to a charging 'center'.  Individual foraging forwards gaining a few yards (a la WW1) is okay for a couple of tackles, but if that's all you do for a full set, it does become as pointless as WW1.

I'm still getting used to the new game, the players are certainly in far better shape and Warrington certainly look to be one of the best, although there isn't a big difference in ability in any of the teams  -  a tough league.   The one thing that I just can't seem to get my head around are the ref's outfits  -  they all look like Mr Humphries on 'Being Served'  !!!!!!

Really speaking we haven't played well in any game so far . Last season we stuttered along, being only a patch on the quality of the previous season when we were battering  many teams & the overall lack of quality in Superleague last year was underlined by the fact that Wigan & ourselves were safe in our finishing positions with 3 games left .

Further to what Safeway said Saints also seem to be experts at getting away with holding down in the tackle ,but that didn't beat us , what did was the mega distance they made on their sets with basic rugby while the Wire seemed to look for ways to lose possession at every opportunity & put themselves back under pressure.