Photo Quiz 2.

algy

Crikey.

I think number 4 (Halton View Terrace) is on Wilson Patten Street.

Pic 2 - (with the pot and scarey faces) is that maybe above the doors main front at the Town Hall ?

Pics 7 & 9 (Deues Dat Incrementum, meaning 'God Giveth the Increase' or something like that) are the WBC Coat of arms.

Is 7 also on the Town Hall building ? 

Is 9 on the Police station ?

No.4 Correct.

No.2 Wrong. if I  had shown the other sculpture on the front of the building you would have got it immediately. :wink:

No.7 Correct, coat of Arms. Not the Town Hall, but what building and where is it.

No.9.Correct, the Police Station on Arpley Street.

Blimey the police station was just a wild guess based on the old courts there and so guessed it might have had a coat of arms.

The scarey faces on number 2 look like judges.  Is that on the newer court buildings in Leigh Street (near to where the old baths were) or is that court building a lot newer.  I've only been in it twice and can't rememer

Blimey the police station was just a wild guess based on the old courts there and so guessed it might have had a coat of arms.

The scarey faces on number 2 look like judges.  Is that on the newer court buildings in Leigh Street (near to where the old baths were) or is that court building a lot newer.  I've only been in it twice and can't rememer

Nothing to do with courts or judges or at least something has gone drastically wrong inside this building if it results in that!, and not in Leigh Street, not far away though.

Wavy, No to all

Sid, No to both

What I will say is that the buildings are all in an area inside Bridge St (not including), Wilson Patten Street (including), Arpley Street, (including) and Sankey Street (including) with on side of one building in a street off Sankey Street  (North side).

That round window is going to bug me now. I know it is in bridge street as I have noticed it many times whilst looking at the lions and gargoyles on the rooftops when Mrs Sid has been in Hancock and Woods but cannot remember which building it is on. really thought it was Mc Donalds. I know it is around there but which one AAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH     :lol:  :lol:  :cry:

Sid, not Bridge Street!.

Peter, Correct The now defunct Post Office in Springfield Street.

I'm amazed No's 2 & 3 haven't been identified, both buildings are in Sankey Street although the window sculpture with the masks on is not, its in a street adjoining Sankey Street.

I have absolutely no idea where either of them are Algy..... you have stumped me completely and no way am I going for a walk around town tonight even though not knowing is really bugging me now   :lol:

Where or what is the 'Borough Treasurers' Wavy as I've never heard of it.

Correct! Millie No2 is the White Hart above a side window in Golborne Street opposite M&S, and yes No3 (not No2, you've mixed your numbers up) is a bove Jordans in Sankey Street on the corner with Leigh Street.

No.2

ScreenShot003.jpg

No.3

Originally built as a hall for the Victorian Conservative Club. By July 1913 it was operating as the Central Picture Palace and seated 500 people. It was closed in around 1915 or 1916 due to conditions in World War I.

ScreenShot004.jpg

Algy is there a reason why they would have theatre masks above the White Hart ,has it been a theatre at any time do you know ?

Millie , i hope you didn't count your virtual stroll down Sankey Street as meaningful exercise  lol !

Never been a theatre Wavy, it was purpose built to replace the old White Hart when they knocked the old one down when widening Sankey Street.

Below shows the old White Hart in a narrow Sankey Street. A white horse pulling a cab has just passed Golborne Street, on the left corner of which the new pub was built, from that point to Market gate Sankey Street remained narrow.

WarringtonSankeyStreetEustancesclockuppe

Crikey.

I think number 4 (Halton View Terrace) is on Wilson Patten Street.

Pic 2 - (with the pot and scarey faces) is that maybe above the doors main front at the Town Hall ?

Pics 7 & 9 (Deues Dat Incrementum, meaning 'God Giveth the Increase' or something like that) are the WBC Coat of arms.

Is 7 also on the Town Hall building ? 

Is 9 on the Police station ?

The scarey faces are inside the town hall - they are called councillors.

The old Borough Treasurer's Dizzy is the building in Sankey St next to Bank Park  ,i think on the corner of Garven Place & opposite what used to be the Cameo picture house.The building ,in it's time ,was also the vehicle taxation & licensing office for the town & council rates were paid there .

The old Borough Treasurer's Dizzy is the building in Sankey St next to Bank Park  ,i think on the corner of Garven Place & opposite what used to be the Cameo picture house.The building ,in it's time ,was also the vehicle taxation & licensing office for the town & council rates were paid there .

Thanks Wavy I think I know the building you mean now.  Looking towards the Town Hall from it's gates is it the one to the right (just past their car park entrance) I think it's called Bank House and is/was the offices to Golden Gates Housing ?

I don't think anyone is going to get No1, its the side gate to St Austins Chambers in Bold Street, see below.

ScreenShot004.jpg

6 & 8 are Villa's at the east end of Wilson Patten Street.

7. is the crest above the main door of the old Technical school in Palmyra Square.

10. Is the Crest on the old County Court Building. Palmyra Square South. adjoining Winmarleigh Street, one of the finest yet understated buildings in Warrington. Whoever was responsible for allowing that glass and metal monstrosity to be erected on the side of this fine building should be locked up, the complete effect of the frontage of those old buildings have been ruined!.

ScreenShot001-1.jpg