Warrington video.

algy

I have obtained a couple of DVD's of Warrington containing archive film from 1940 to 1980 and over a period of time intend to upload selected clips to You Tube and shall put liks on here.

The first clip is of the building of the Wilderspool railway bridge, the 1958 visit of the Queen mother, and building the Thelwall viaduct.

http://youtu.be/y8WXwKGi40Q

• Upvote 1

It made me giggle too Evils.

Absolutely fascinating video Algy and it was great seeing some of the buildings and the area 'alive' as I've only ever seen it on photographs.

Strange to see the chaps just wearing normal clothes and flat caps while they were working.

It made me giggle too Evils.

Absolutely fascinating video Algy and it was great seeing some of the buildings and the area 'alive' as I've only ever seen it on photographs.

Strange to see the chaps just wearing normal clothes and flat caps while they were working.

More to come Dizz I find it much easier on the eye cutting the video than messing about editing photos!, plus there won't be as many. Dizz, I'm sending you a PM.

Thanks for that memory jogger Algy. I just about remember the old level crossing and the bridge being built even though I could only have been five or six at the time.

I've always been amazed about how in the past we were prepared to take on major engineering challenges in an attempt to build for the future but now that futures here, the main focus seems to be to force us back to bikes or walking.

We seem to have evolved into a society that's lost all vision and motivation to move forward and rather like the long term unemployed person, we’re in survival mode struggling to make ends meet.

I wonder what all those involved in this construction would have thought if they were told that fifty odd years from now their children would probably have no work and the council couldn’t afford to empty the bins. :roll:

Rant over

Bill :)

Wonderful footage ! I remember watching them building it as we sat upstairs on the bus from Latchford to Town I was very young as I was with my Mother because I had not yet started school. But it is clear in my mind especially after watching this.

Also.. I spotted the Guardian photograher setting up his gear for the grand opening.I remember him prowling the touchline at Wilderspool for many years but had totally forgotten about him untill today ...yes a wonderful memory jerker :)